Vortech Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

First post but a long time reader... I tried to search for the answer but didn't see what I needed.

I have a vortech supercharger on my Jeep Wrangler I installed a couple years ago. I am leaving town and need to change the oil in the SC'er ASAP - read: don't have time to wait on another order from Vortech proper.

What off the shelf oil can I safely run in the supercharger?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This is the V3 self contained unit/kit put together by Ripp Mods.

Last edited:
When did Vortech start using self contained oil? When I was into the ProCharger setups, they they used Redline 50w, same as Kenne Bell and Whipple on their blowers.

I couldn't say as I am fairly new to the boost world but they have a few self oiled models. Mine is the V3.

The oil they sell for it is 'house branded'. Not sure what is in those bottles.

GM cars have had superchargers for years. Mine is made by Eaton. Any GM dealer should carry supercharger oil if you are in a pinch. I know it is synthetic.

This is interesting. I didn't know Vortech had self-contained oiling on their superchargers. When I worked with Vortech superchargers years ago, they took engine oil. I don't think I would be entirely comfortable using Eaton supercharger lube in a Vortech. The Eaton supercharger is a Roots design, and the Vortech is a centrifugal. The gears in the Roots unit are not as heavily loaded as the gears in a centrifugal. If I remember correctly, the step-up ratio in a Vortech is about 6:1, which makes for a lot of shear on the oil, leading to a lot of churning, foaming, and oxidation. Since the supercharger oil is self-contained, I think you should use a gear oil, not engine oil. And nothing heavy, due to the high gear speeds. Perhaps a light gear oil made by Redline?

Have you smelled the lube sold by Vortech? Does it smell like it has a lot of sulfur? If it does, that should put you on the path for using a gear lube.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes - I have smelled it - after it was used I should say, and it was pretty foul smelling! I wish I could remember if it had a sulfer smell. You'd think I wouldn't forget something like that. But it did stink.

Thanks... now to figure out what gear oil to use.
smile.gif

A quick search didn't find much help. Some are saying you need a very thin synthetic gear oil. One other said:

"Anyway, I have a VF-E kit with the V3 supercharger. I'm looking for options instead of the Vortech-only sourced V3 oil. I've looked at several forums and most point to Mobil Jet Oil II and other similar spec-ed oils."

Any airports nearby?
smile.gif

I was recommending Redline because their oils are ester based, as are jet aircraft oils. Order the genuine stuff from Vortech, and use a lightweight synthetic gear oil in the meantime.

I run the Vortech where you tap into the oil pan,but on the self contained Vortech's,the guys I know who run them,they use the oil from Vortech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back