cSt 11.46 9.9-11.9

FP 450 >400

Fuel
Antifrz 0 0

Water 0 0

Insol .1 .6

TBN 5.2 >1.0

Blackstone comments:
The column on the far right shows typical wear for a Duramax engine after about 6,900 miles. You ran longer and after 7,500 miles, your wear metals read much lower than average. That's a good sign that mechanical parts that share the oil are doing well and aren't experiencing any issues. If they are, we certainly can't see signs of poor wear in this sample of used oil. The viscosity was in the 10W/30 grade oil range and no harmful contamination like fuel, coolant, or moisture was found. The TBN was strong at 5.2 (1.0 is low), so try 9,500 miles and check back.

Last edited:
Typical boring Dmax UOA ... nothing to complain about whatsoever.

TBN is still very strong, and the insol's are crazy low, showing very little soot, etc. No contamination anywhere.

Could easily extend to 15k miles.

Allow me to address the "yabuts" now ...
- There is zero indication of any contamination whatsoever.
- The TBN is so high that TAN cannot be an issue; you'd never see a high TAN with TBN this strong.
- The wear rates are very low and the wear totals are nowhere near any point of condemnation. (typical of a Dmax)
- The vis is right where it should be, and 10w-30 HDEO has proven itself many, many times over; this is yet another one.
- There is no "cleaning" failure here, nor is there going to be anytime soon; he is EGR blocked and PCV rerouted, hence the super low insols even after 7.5k miles

Absolutely extend out and UOA again. Get TAN the next time when you go past 10k miles. Seriously, 15k miles would be doable, and possibly more, but only with continued UOAs.

If anyone disagrees, I'd have to ask just what point of contention would you offer, other than an emotional yearning to wrench?

Last edited:
Any idea how many engine hours were on this run? Just wondering about the usage pattern.

Fantastic report btw.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this up Dave, I'm still trying to figure out how to post for next time.

I'll check the hour meter when I get home. Sorry I dumped this run of oil, it's only half used up !

Just reread, don't know hours on this run of oil, something I never kept track of, but can do in the future.

Last edited:
Hauled a small trailer for about a week through the Adirondack Mountains, spent many a day hauling firewood, I'm talking large wet Red Oak during the hottest part of our summer,at least two loads a day for 12 days,about 25 miles of hilly terrain. Used Tow/Haul mode, let the engine brake the vehicle down one long stretch, and if you have a D-Max and use T/H mode you'll know how much it'll down-shift! Sometimes it would sit a week or two and not be driven,then it becomes a people mover,then to workhorse,trailer puller,wood mover,dormaint and repeat.

This run of oil started in Nov of 2012 and changed in July 2013

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Bambam - do you happen to recall what the OLM value was at the OCI?

Don't have an OLM.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Bambam - do you happen to recall what the OLM value was at the OCI?

Don't have an OLM.

You must have a W/T, as do I. There is an OLM, but we cannot access it via the DIC controls, as we lack the buttons. The OLM display will only come up on the dash at it's "change oil" set point.

I presume, since you didn't mention it, that you OCId at 7.5k miles by choice, and the OLM didn't prompt you to do so. On this next OCI, I would run out to the full OLM lifecycle, and then take a UOA sample without dumping the fluid, and then make a decision how far to extend past there.

For the sampling, get a Fumoto valve; they are da-bom when it comes to taking live oil samples. Super easy and clean, and makes and OCI a piece-of-cake as well.

Last edited:
I do have a WT model and no the change engine oil light did not come on. I went with Delo 5w40 synthetic this run and will UOA at 10k and take it from there. Wish I would have stayed with the T5, oh well..

Have a Fumoto after all the rave reviews here on BITOG !

I do have a WT model and no the change engine oil light did not come on. I went with Delo 5w40 synthetic this run and will UOA at 10k and take it from there. Wish I would have stayed with the T5, oh well..

Excellent! You can now UOA first, and then only OCI when the data indicates, rather than the odometer.

The Delo will do a great job, but to make it pay off, you're going to have to run it a LONG time.

Excellent! You can now UOA first, and then only OCI when the data indicates, rather than the odometer.

The Delo will do a great job, but to make it pay off, you're going to have to run it a LONG time.

Thats the plan, with all you helping me !
01.gif

TBN is still very strong, and the insol's are crazy low, showing very little soot, etc. No contamination anywhere.

- The TBN is so high that TAN cannot be an issue; you'd never see a high TAN with TBN this strong.
- The wear rates are very low and the wear totals are nowhere near any point of condemnation. (typical of a Dmax)
- The vis is right where it should be, and 10w-30 HDEO has proven itself many, many times over; this is yet another one.
- There is no "cleaning" failure here, nor is there going to be anytime soon; he is EGR blocked and PCV rerouted, hence the super low insols even after 7.5k miles

Absolutely extend out and UOA again. Get TAN the next time when you go past 10k miles. Seriously, 15k miles would be doable, and possibly more, but only with continued UOAs.

If anyone disagrees, I'd have to ask just what point of contention would you offer, other than an emotional yearning to wrench?

You prefer the T5 over conventional 10w30?

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone

You prefer the T5 over conventional 10w30?

That should say "over Rotella T" 10w30.

My preference is for a maximum ROI with managed risk. By "risk" I mean a substantiated elevation of wear that would threaten a well-running engine; not the kind of fear-mongering "what if" scenarios most BITOGers come up with.

That in mind, I don't "prefer" one over another. T5 is easy to attain for most of us, and when on sale it's very cost effective. However, I have upon occasion scored the TP for less; it has performed admirably for me and at a low cost, so that is my preference. I have yet to find a situation that I can overwhelm the lube.

Last edited:
Thanks. The JD looks promising but I don't have dealers that stock it. So Rotella it'll have to be.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back