2012 Mazda 6 Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the M5 for mazda the same thing as Motorcraft LV?

I think the mazda 6 has the same 6spd tranny the Fusion's have (that aren't made by Aisin.). Wasn't this 6spd tranny built in conjunction with GM? so they'd have a tranny they could share?

Originally Posted By: EricF

NO!

I really wish the Mazda M-V was called something different, because it sounds very much like Mercon V. Mazda themselves have explained that MV is not Mercon V in TSB 05-005-08-1928.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: EricF

NO!

I really wish the Mazda M-V was called something different, because it sounds very much like Mercon V. Mazda themselves have explained that MV is not Mercon V in TSB 05-005-08-1928.

M-V crosses over to Motorcraft FNR5 fluid.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
The crud is going to build up regardless of how often you change the fluid. Wear happens no matter what we do. So why upset the balance by stirring it up with multiple changes and letting that stuff get circulated around to get ground into the gears and stuck in the hydraulics? Just leave it where it is and don't worry about it. If there's no problem to solve, why invent one?

And you think leaving micro-particles inside as an abrasive would be better?

No, I'm saying you're speculating and creating Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt where none should exist. I postulate that nobody's transmission grenaded prematurely because they didn't change the fluid when the manufacturer said they didn't need to. My point is to expose you as just another "some anonymous person on the Internet" who has no idea what he or she is talking about but talks anyway despite the fact that engineers have worked for countless hours on the design of the powertrain and its lubrication schedule. Don't those "micro-particles" you imagine abrade the mechanism during the warranty period? Why would the manufacturer let this happen?

Provide some evidence of the problem or it doesn't exist. Show us that changing the fluid despite the manufacturer's recommendation results in a cost savings or transmission lifetime improvement. Count all the particles you want - I don't disagree they're present - speculate all you want about problems they cause. Just because they exist doesn't mean the transmission lifetime is affected, and if you clean them out with white gloves, there's no evidence it makes anything last longer. There's no evidence of a problem except in your imagination, so stop trying to solve one. It's a waste of time, needless money in some petroleum executive's bonus fund, and someone else's hard-earned money.
smirk.gif

See the first post on page 2. It's better than anything I can come up with.

And the cost of a fluid change every 30-50k miles is a lot cheaper than a transmission rebuild replacement.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

FNR5 fluid is Mazda M-V fluid. The FNR5 is Mazda's 5spd ATX.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Right - but FNR5 doesn't cross over to Mercon V.

So, I have a little different question but, still in regards to Mazda! I don't meant to hi-jack the thread so, forgive me if it seems this way. I just want to touch on the subject since it's still fresh in our minds.

I've been using Castrol IMV in my daughters '06 mazda3 2.0L with the 4 speed automatic tranny.

I change it about every 20K-25K miles. I will be changing the ATF again with IMV next month. This will be the 4th time that I've done a D&F since 2009 w/IMV. Should I be using Mazda M-V? The tranny shifts fine! And this 4spd is the nicest shifting tranny I've experienced in any of our 4 vehicles
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

So, I have a little different question but, still in regards to Mazda! I don't meant to hi-jack the thread so, forgive me if it seems this way. I just want to touch on the subject since it's still fresh in our minds.

I've been using Castrol IMV in my daughters '06 mazda3 2.0L with the 4 speed automatic tranny.

I change it about every 20K-25K miles. I will be changing the ATF again with IMV next month. This will be the 4th time that I've done a D&F since 2009 w/IMV. Should I be using Mazda M-V? The tranny shifts fine! And this 4spd is the nicest shifting tranny I've experienced in any of our 4 vehicles
laugh.gif

Castrol IMF lists Mazda M-V as a spec it meets. IMF does have the higher viscosity required to meet the spec.

Does the 4spd spec Mazda M-V? For some reason I thought it was only the 5spd FNR5 that spec'd that fluid.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Castrol IMF lists Mazda M-V as a spec it meets. IMF does have the higher viscosity required to meet the spec.

Does the 4spd spec Mazda M-V? For some reason I thought it was only the 5spd FNR5 that spec'd that fluid.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF lists both M5 & FNR5 fluid on its sheet as 'recommended for', whatever that's worth to you: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

Somehow they're in the process of changing the name to Castrol Transmax IMV ATF, but it also lists M5 & FNR5 on its 'recommended for' list: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/064FD5179C8D0FFD80257AA90053687A/$File/Castrol%20Transmax%20Import%20MV%20_03521_.pdf

laugh.gif

Well, the Owners Manual(OM) does recomend this but, I can't remember if the OM specified for one or both trannys. I do know that the M-V is the only mention of ATF in the OM.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF lists both M5 & FNR5 fluid on its sheet as 'recommended for', whatever that's worth to you: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

Somehow they're in the process of changing the name to Castrol Transmax IMV ATF, but it also lists M5 & FNR5 on its 'recommended for' list: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/064FD5179C8D0FFD80257AA90053687A/$File/Castrol%20Transmax%20Import%20MV%20_03521_.pdf

Yes, Castrol has already changed all of their ATF to the TransMAX name almost 2 yrs ago. I bought a boat load of this IMV for ~1.70/qt after tax & coupon prior to the TransMax changeover. I still have 2 D&F's remaining. and I've used 10 qts in other vehicles. I can't even remember how many qts that I bought. 30qts, maybe more!

Last edited:
I still have 2 D&F's remaining. and I've used 10 qts in other vehicles. I can't even remember how many qts that I bought. 30qts, maybe more!

Gosh, think about how much time, energy, money & effort you've wasted according to Mr. Rizzo and how your transmission won't last any longer.
33.gif

I still have 2 D&F's remaining. and I've used 10 qts in other vehicles. I can't even remember how many qts that I bought. 30qts, maybe more!

Gosh, think about how much time, energy, money & effort you've wasted according to Mr. Rizzo and how your transmission won't last any longer.
33.gif

Well, according to him, Char Baby's transmissions should blow up soon.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

33.gif

Well, according to him, Char Baby's transmissions should blow up soon.

In my wife's '01 Lexus RX-300, I have change the ATF(D&F) every 12-18 months since new. It hasn't been "HOROBOSHITA" yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back