Oil for Mercedes Benz ML350 Gas or Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is looking pretty hard at a Mercedes ML350 as a next car and I was wondering what oils are readily available for it. There are two engines being considered--a 3.0L Turbo Diesel V-6 and a 3.5L DI gasoline V-6.

For the gasoline engine, would a M1 0W-40 be one of the choices? The dealer likely has some "program" for oil changes, but I am curious as to what oil "fits" this car.

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IIRC M1 ESP 5w-40 is available at pep boys.

The spec is likely 229.31 or 229.51, which is readily available.

Castrol states.

"Thank you for inquiring about what oil is best for your vehicle. Based on the information you provided, your vehicle requires a special engine oil that can only be purchased at your local dealer. Please visit your local dealer to ensure that your vehicle is serviced properly."

But then recommends Castrol Edge 0W30. For the gasser.

SOPUS recommends PU 5W40 Euro for both engines. Good luck in finding that on store shelves. Contact a distributor.

As JHZR2 stated XOM recommends ESP 5W40 for the diesel and 0W40 for the gas.

Thanks guys! I think she is going for the 3.5L gasoline model. She looked at some today and they are really nice. Based upon her reaction, I think I will have some M1 0W-40 in the stash soon. I guess I know what I can swap some of the MS5K for
smile.gif

As dave1251 said,

The gas engines take MB 229.5 oils which would be M1 0W40.

The diesel engines take MB 229.51 oils, which would include M1 ESP 5W40 and other such low-saps offerings.

In Europe, they generally just use 229.51 for both gas and diesel, but that is still not recommended in North America for gas engines due to differing gasoline qualities. So take the European oil finders with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back