Bike Chain Lube Recommendations Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son bought a used 21 speed Mongoose mountain bike last year to use at college in Indiana. The bike sits outside from late August until mid May unprotected. There is no possibility to bring it inside to keep it out of the rain and snow. I am sure he won't take the time to cover it. The frame of the bike is aluminum.

He just bought and installed a new chain to replace the slipping and rusted one. Considering the exposure to the elements, what lube would be recommended for this new chain? I'd like to find something that might stand up to the weather as well as provide the necessary lubrication. I use a wax based lube on my road bike, which is stored inside during bad weather. I don't the wax based lube will hold up in these conditions. I'm thinking something petroleum based and thick (grease?) might last a little longer and not be washed away. I am looking to nurse this bike through the next three years without too much maintenance and replacement of parts.

Any suggestions?

I was just at Walmart looking at these options as I've revived my bike this weekend from storage.

White Lightning has three options in Walmarts and one of them is specifically for wet conditions.

May not be the absolute best option, but it's cheap ($5/bottle) and readily available.

I have always used White Lightning and never a problem with rusting chains.

A tacky motorcycle chain lube would be a great option if you're not concerned with getting your pants or socks dirty.

Leaving a bike out in the elements full-time is a rough life. I think your best bet is a really light grease. That's what most pro teams run in really wet weather (Shimano's grease). That has a much better chance of staying on when left out in constant rain. No regular chain lube is designed to be sitting out over an entire winter.

After an oil change, I swish naphtha in the oil jug/bottles to collect the leftover oil. Then it goes into an old fashioned thumb pump oiler for my bicycles.

I've worn out many chains and cassettes. I've tried all sorts of lubes. None are as good as my home-made concoction for my uses.

I liberally apply Spectro or Bel-Ray Zinc based motorcycle "ultraclean" chain lube. It's simply a spray zinc compound. Then I spray the chain heavily with GT-85, It's a WD-40 type product that actually contains a small quantity of light oil. Then wipe it all off with a microfiber.

The result is a well lubed and clean chain, that won't attract dirt/sand. Chains lubed this way last 2000-4000 miles of "all weather" riding. Including riding during FL thunderstorms and the resulting grit on the chain.

My theory is that the zinc compound forms a bit of a seal on the plates and prevents sand from entering.

Oil based lubes such as "tri-flow" and "super-lube" don't work for me. They attract massive quantities of sand and the chains don't last. Plus they require much more frequent cleaning.

Last edited:
I used to break a link in the chain monthly when I rode 100 miles a week. I would soak it in Coleman stove fuel and use a parts brush. I would hang it to dry and use the Super Lube at each pin and then wipe the whole chain several times. I did not pick up much dust. The longest life I had from a Shimano chain using this method was 6,000 miles. There are really numerous ways to maintain a bike chain that work as long as they include cleaning and regular lubrication.

Putting a mileage figure on chain longevity is difficult since there's a lot more to chain life than simply miles.

Consider the type of chain (a 5 speed chain will last longer than a 10 or 11 speed chain), the number of teeth on the cogs (more teeth = more chain life), your ability to avoid cross-chaining (cross-chaining kills chains), the amount of power you put down, and sometimes just environmental considerations.

I have used many products and good results usually follow with a light application but always favored T9. Recently switch and started using liquid wrench chain lube which setups up similar to T9, has organic moly plus its significantly lower cost. Has worked well so far, maybe a slightly shrter service interval.

Originally Posted By: Sluggo0018
My son bought a used 21 speed Mongoose mountain bike last year to use at college in Indiana. The bike sits outside from late August until mid May unprotected. There is no possibility to bring it inside to keep it out of the rain and snow. I am sure he won't take the time to cover it. The frame of the bike is aluminum.

He just bought and installed a new chain to replace the slipping and rusted one. Considering the exposure to the elements, what lube would be recommended for this new chain? I'd like to find something that might stand up to the weather as well as provide the necessary lubrication. I use a wax based lube on my road bike, which is stored inside during bad weather. I don't the wax based lube will hold up in these conditions. I'm thinking something petroleum based and thick (grease?) might last a little longer and not be washed away. I am looking to nurse this bike through the next three years without too much maintenance and replacement of parts.

Any suggestions?

I like T9 and ProLink. I'm using Rock & Roll Gold on my new drivetrain setup(Ultegra 6700 compact crank, 105 5700 front derailleur, Deore long-cage rear derailleur, SLX HG-X chain, SRAM 11-36 cassette) on my 'cross/touring bike and it's working OK, stays a bit cleaner though.

If it's a newer Mongoose from Wal-Mart, I'd just use whatever is on hand and call it day. You might need to replace the chain and/or freewheel early though. Next chain replacement, I'd look at a KMC or SRAM nickel-plated chain.

Take this for what it's worth as I did not use the stuff for bicycle chains but for atv's I had the best luck with John Deere chain lube. It was in a spray can and made for balers and combines. It might be worth giving a try though.

If he's going to re-apply it once in a while, try chainsaw oil, lots of tack to keep the chain coated, it worked for me when riding in the winter salt in college. $3 is few years supply too.
If its no maintenance at all, then I'd try some sort of marine grease, slather it on and then wipe the excess off.

DBI_Consumer_MULTI-USE_14oz.gif

It's dry and it works great. I have used all the others, number 2 choice would be chain-l but the spray works better, its cheaper and its cleaner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back