Number of patches on tube. What's your record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that some people don't even bother patching tubes, but I do. I got a flat last Saturday (August 17) which was my first one since July 4th. Of course it was on a rear tire, near the beginning of a long ride (mile 6 of a 50 mile ride). When repairing the tube I noted that the total number of patches was up to 3, which is low for me. I'm pretty sure that my record number on a single tube is 13, but I have gotten to about 11 many before I would throw it out and start with a new tube. At some point, when you get a new flat too close to an existing patch, too big, or too close to the stem, you just gotta throw it out and use a new tube.

What's your record for the number of patches on a tube?

If it matters I use 700 x 19-26 sized tubes.

Insane!
I usually go 2-3 patches topps.
If the hole is huge I don't even bother.
On my current XC bike, I have one patch on the back tube, the front tube has never been replaced.

On my DH bike, I got 3 flats in one day once (all rear) although I was just hitting up the local shop for a new tube each time.

I have yet to get a flat on my new commuter. 700x32 size.

on 1 car tire, I had 4 patches in it.
3 of them I did myself (when I worked in the tire shop way back.)
the 4th was done by a buddy who still worked at the tire shop.
I think 2 is the max now?

And yeah, as a dumb 18yr old, I patched a sidewall on my own car tire and put a plug in a corner puncture as well. Needless to say, the tire survived, but I'll never do it again. Being much more educated now!
BUT.. I would do it again if I had to get home (and my son wasn't with me).

There was a very good national class elite racer back in the late '70s to mid '80s named Leonard Nitz who used to patch his tubular (sew-up) tires soooo many times, and then insist on riding them in criterium races (and even on the track, where he specialized in the points race and pursuit/team pursuit) that many were afraid to sit on his wheel, or even ride next to/in close proximity to him!!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back