TroyBilt GTX 18 Tractor Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor is selling his and I'm contemplating purchasing it as an addition to my tractor fleet. it's a 1996 model with 675 hours and looks to be in near excellent condition. This model is a Bolens and fully hydraulic with a shaft-drive 54" mower deck.

Opinions, etc are appreciated!

Those are heavy-duty beasts for sure. I clocked some hours on that exact model when borrowing it from a neighbor. Had power steering even. I know my neighbor paid about $7K for his, with the snowthrower attachment around 1994.

Those are not made by Bolens, they are made by Gardenway, that also built some Bolens units years ago.

Last edited:
Those are the pre-MTD days. They were much better than the MTD Troy-Bilt junk that Lowes sells these days.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its not an MTD?

No Sir. Far from it. They're kind of ugly beasts with real long front-ends on them. They have horizontal shaft Kohlers in them, with shaft drive to a noisy Eaton hydrostat (I believe?).

Only negatives I can think of is they're a bit cramped behind the wheel and I personally HATE the rocker pedal for forward/reverse and ground speed. I prefer twin pedal hydros.

1996_bolens_troy_bilt_gtx18_heavy_duty_garden_tractor_30231815.jpg

Yep, it's an 18hp Kohler and that's an exact picture of it. I have a hydraulic Ingersol I use now and it's near impossible to use without ear plugs.

I've been watching this particular mower for a few years and my neighbor has cut my grass several times when I've been sick. Even though my Ingersol's deck is larger, he's able to cut faster than I can and that really got my interest plus it seems quieter than mine.

He's upgrading to a liquid-cooled diesel JD with a 60" deck and is asking $1k for the Troy.....what is your opinion on the price? As said, it's in very near perfect condition and he maintains all of his stuff exceptionally well.

Thank you for the replies folks!

Last edited:
Yep, I had a Case/Ingersol 220 for a while too. Bought it as a project rider and backup mower. Mine wasn't overly loud (10hp Kohler-K and 38" deck), but I absolutely HATED mowing with it, since I was already spoiled with foot pedal hydro equipped machines.

The dash lever Case HyDrive is a seriously HD system, just WAAY to cumbersome and jittery for mowing duty IMO.

Mine is a 4020 PS (power steering) and I agree with you....great for mowing large areas but not so much for precision areas.

I have a snow cab and thrower for it so I will probably dedicate the Ingersol to Winter duty.

It also has the 20HP Onan engine. I'll make the Ingersol my back-up mower. Our primary mower is a '47 Farmall "A" with a 72" Woods underbelly deck but I typically use a smaller mower nearer to the house. I'm still smitten with my neighbors Troy and will probably purchase it this week since his new JD is scheduled for delivery tomorrow or Tuesday.

Any opinion on the price? I've seen prices all over the place from $900 (one at this price) to $2800. I read one thread on another site where a guy says he got one for $100!

If your neighbors Troy-Bilt is really clean, $900 is probably a fair price. Prolly don't want to beat him up on the price given the neighbor status, plus like I say, those were ~$6K+ new. You could probably double the hours on that Kohler command w/out too much issue.

I looked it over again yesterday and bought it.

What oil do you folks recommend? I noticed the manual (Kohler 18HP Magnum) calls for SF/SG straight 30. Currently I run Rotella Triple T 15w40 in the Farmall and Ingersol and was going to change out to Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic this coming change....your thoughts?

Thanks again folks!

Rotella 15-40 has been one of my favorites for aircooled engines. I think it'd be a good choice for the kohler.

nice fine. i'm late to the discussion but I think $1k is very reasonable, especially if it's in good condition. that's a lot of machinery.

Nice purchase Fleetmon!

I too would use 15w40 in that Kohler.

Yeah I know Kohler recommends 10w30. I stopped using conventional 10w30 or SAE30 in small aircooled stuff years ago.

Thanks guys and 15w40 it will be....I appreciate the advice and replies.

I'm excited about seeing it in my garage and will probably move it down to my place tomorrow evening once I know his new JD has arrived. Shoot - I even swept the floor where it will park!

My wife had a little to say when I asked her about buying a 17 year old tractor and had to remind her we already use a 66 year old Farmall and 31 year old Ingersoll.....however, the clincher was when I reminded her that I had seen her birth certificate too!

Thanks again!

That is nice, I am trying to talk myself out of going to buy a early 90's Craftsman GT6000 this afternoon. It has the Kohler M18 horizontal shaft engine as well, but it has the 6 speed hi/lo gearbox.

What I really need is a compact tractor though.

Originally Posted By: AVB
That is nice, I am trying to talk myself out of going to buy a early 90's Craftsman GT6000 this afternoon. It has the Kohler M18 horizontal shaft engine as well, but it has the 6 speed hi/lo gearbox.

What I really need is a compact tractor though.

Prolly should start another thread for that one, but I'd stay clear of this machine unless it's super deal.

Kohler horizontally opposed twins are beasts, but they guzzle LOTS of fuel. You can't beat the hi/low range 6-speed for being heavy-duty, but I've always found 4-5th gear too slow for mowing and 6th too fast.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
My neighbor is selling his and I'm contemplating purchasing it as an addition to my tractor fleet. it's a 1996 model with 675 hours and looks to be in near excellent condition. This model is a Bolens and fully hydraulic with a shaft-drive 54" mower deck.
Opinions, etc are appreciated!

I'm late to the party but as a fellow GTX-18 owner I say that I think you'll be pleased with it. Be aware though, that deck is not 54". They were available with 42" side and rear discharge, 48" side and rear discharge, or 60" side discharge decks. I suspect you have a 48"??

Originally Posted By: JTK
Those are heavy-duty beasts for sure. I clocked some hours on that exact model when borrowing it from a neighbor. Had power steering even. I know my neighbor paid about $7K for his, with the snowthrower attachment around 1994. Those are not made by Bolens, they are made by Gardenway, that also built some Bolens units years ago.

Actually they were designed and built by Bolens at their Port Washington plant. Garden Way/Troy-Bilt owned Bolens at the time. These were designed and sold as the Bolens Duratrac line around the time GW bought Bolens in '87/'88. They were labeled as a Bolens through '93 then labeled as a Troy-Bilt from '94-'01 when MTD bought Garden Way/Troy-Bilt/Bolens.

Originally Posted By: JTK
They're kind of ugly beasts with real long front-ends on them. They have horizontal shaft Kohlers in them, with shaft drive to a noisy Eaton hydrostat (I believe?).
Only negatives I can think of is they're a bit cramped behind the wheel and I personally HATE the rocker pedal for forward/reverse and ground speed. I prefer twin pedal hydros.

Eaton 11 for reference and yes they're a bit noisy. I also agree that they're kind of cramped for such a big tractor. I'm only 5'9" and although comfortable, I wouldn't want it much tighter. It's funny though, I absolutely love the rocker pedal. I wonder why all hydros aren't done that way. Super smooth transition from forward to reverse. To each his own, I guess.

I have a hydraulic Ingersol I use now and it's near impossible to use without ear plugs. ....he's able to cut faster than I can and that really got my interest plus it seems quieter than mine.

Your Ingersol must really be loud as I consider my GTX to be loud. I always use ear protection. I think top speed of the GTX is listed as 8mph and they do cut pretty nice at faster speeds. The main limiting factor in my yard is that it's too rough for zero-turn speeds.

Any opinion on the price? I've seen prices all over the place from $900 (one at this price) to $2800. I read one thread on another site where a guy says he got one for $100!

I don't think $1000 is out of line. When I see them advertised around here it's usually in that price range. I paid just a tick under that for my '94 with around 400 hours at the time. (Now approaching 600 I think) There was a closed up dealer auction near here about a year and half ago that had one new in the crate. If I remember correctly, it brought $4000+ with the deck.

What oil do you folks recommend? I noticed the manual (Kohler 18HP Magnum) calls for SF/SG straight 30. Currently I run Rotella Triple T 15w40 in the Farmall and Ingersol and was going to change out to Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic this coming change....your thoughts?

I've been running T6 in my Magnum and TSC Renew UTF in the transaxle. When very cold I do notice that the tractor has to be running 30-45 seconds before I have use of the hydraulics. Are you sure yours has the Magnum? Or that it's a '96? The '96 op manual says it should have a Command. My '94 is a model 13060 and the '96 and later ones are a model 13074. I'm not sure what model or which engine the '95 uses.

My wife had a little to say when I asked her about buying a 17 year old tractor....

It's funny you mention that as my wife was the same way. She thinks it's always better to buy new. Unfortunately, I didn't want anything new in our price range. It didn't help that not long after I bought it, the PTO coil went bad. Now she gripes about getting rid of it whenever anything minor goes wrong.

By the way, the PTO coil is a known weak spot on these. There is a source for them but they're kind of expensive. The other areas I've had trouble are the fuel pump and the starter bendix not extending.

Hope you enjoy the tractor.

Thanks for the info Canawler. Yep, it is a 48". I got it Saturday and cut about three acres with it...definitely a faster cut with this 48" than my Ingersoll's 60".

The Ingersoll is absolutely louder although both really require hearing protection. My yard is the same way...I could cut faster if it wasn't so rough. The only issue I had was some serious wheel slippage on one of my steeper areas...I'll have to try out a few different approaches and see if I can make it better otherwise I may have to look into some wheel weights....the Ingersoll is already equipped with weights.

The engine cover says Magnum and the invoice is dated 3/1996 plus the engine manual also states Magnum so I guess that's what I have. I noticed the Owners manual has the 13060 circled and the invoice indicates a 13060.

So far the only thing I've noticed is a few light bulbs burnt out on the dash (PTO engaged, etc) so I'll take a look at those. I also used a temp gun a few times on it to check temps since it seemed awful hot but temps at the cylinders were around 215 or so and that was after some deep grass.

I do want to change everything over to the T6, especially the Ingersoll since it will now be pressed into Winter service as a dedicated snow thrower. I wish I could find a thrower and cab for this Troy though at a good price.

It is a joy to use and I really like it...very smooth.

Great info Canawler! Thanks.

Fleetmon, yeah that's odd you've got a 1996 model year and a Magnum twin. I'm not a big Magnum fan. Those horizontally opposed (flat-head) twins guzzle fuel at a marginally alarming rate.

I think, once it was all done, I used about 6.5 gals of gas for my yard....just a tad over 1 gal per acre so it does use a touch more than the Ingersoll. I attributed some to the smaller deck.

Based on what y'all are saying about the engine, maybe this machine is actually a '95 or '94 model....I'm only going on what the PO told me and the invoice but it could have been at the dealers for a while too....either way, i'm happy with my purchase and I appreciate all of the info.

Last edited:
If you really want to know the age, the engine ID plate is visible on the top. I don't remember exactly how the numbers break down but they do give the engine build date. The tractor would usually be built within a few months of the engine date.

I've never had any slippage issues but then mine came with wheel weights. I've also upgraded tires this year to Carlisle All-Trails and I've been very happy with them so far.

Snow blowers were available but I've seen VERY few ads for accessories for these. I don't think they were very popular at all. The big item I'd like is the 3-point setup but the cheapest I've seen for sale has been around $400. I don't want it nearly that bad.

Agreed on it seeming to be awfully hot. The way the cooling system is set up, it blows the hot air right at the operator. Annoying in the summer but it feels good in the spring and fall.

I use closer to 2 gallons of fuel per acre but I do have a lot of obstacles to mow around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back