Strange noise when making right turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm experiencing a weird popping sound coming from the rear of my vehicle. It's almost sounds as if a cv axle is bad, but I don't see how that could happen as the rear wheels don't steer. I think it could possibly be a wheel bearing, although its not the typical grinding noise and it happens intermittently.

It really only occurs when making right turns such as at an intersection. It's definitely coming from the rear but it's not affecting drivability whatsoever.

Have any other Subaru owners experienced something like this?

I'll give it a try, but I had it in a shop for an unrelated reason a couple months ago and they said there was no play in the bearing but its starting to go bad. I left it for the time being which makes me think it's actually in need of replacement now.

What bothers me is that it doesn't happen when going straight (or at least I can't hear it). I've had wheel bearings go bad in other cars before and it is obvious when they do. This car is fairly new to me, but it's strange how it only happens when turning right.

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile that does the same thing only when turning left. Sometimes, but not often, the bearing does rumble while driving down the highway, but only on rare occasion. I've been trying to baby it till the weather cools before I tackle a bearing replacement - so far so good.

Subarus of that vintage tend to have bad rear wheel bearings commonly (as per a friend that owns a local repair shop) might be worth investigating.

I have determined that the popping noise is coming from the front left cv axle, or at least I'm pretty sure it is. The weird thing is that upon visual inspection the boots are intact, but it sounds just like a worn axle.

The right rear wheel bearing is going bad and is making the typical roaring noise, I couldn't detect any play in it though.

I'm taking it in for an inspection tomorrow. I don't think a noisy wheel bearing or a failing axle will cause the car to fail. Let's just hope they don't find anything that I couldn't.

So I replaced the left front cv axle and the noise is still there. Good news is that the car passed inspection this morning.

I'm thinking about doing the right side because I still have the receipt from when I did that about a year ago. I think the new gsp axle i put on there is prematurely failing. I'm not so happy about that, but I should get a new one for free.

Does anyone have any experience with advance auto's limited lifetime warranty? Do I need to bring them the faulty component first or can I buy one then bring them the old one and get a refund?

Subaru's have have had a problem with wheel bearings. However seeing as how you thought it was the rear at first, then changed your mind to the front cv makes me think it could be another common problem. When you hear this popping do you feel any binding? Is it an AT or MT? The center diff or viscous coupling, depending on which you have is another common problem with Subarus. It will cause a popping and binding that you can feel. You can feel the pop through the car. Only in a tight turn. Otherwise its fine.

I just read in your signature that you have a MT. So do i. MT's use the viscous coupling in the combo transmission/front diff. I hope thats not your problem but there is a good chance.

Last edited:
There is no sounds when making tight turns at low speeds. I've tried turning both ways in forwards in reverse with the wheel at full lock and I cannot replicate the sound. It happens only when the wheel is turned to the right and doesn't seem to be specific to degree of turn or speed.

It's only noticed when taking right turns at speed or accelerating from a stop into a right turn you can start to hear it about halfway through the turn.

If replacing the front right cv axle doesn't fix it I'll have to resort to having the shop look at it. It'll be in there anyway for the right rear wheel bearing.

Hopefully the its just the right cv axle going bad, because I've never heard of wheel bearing making a rotational clunking noise such as this.

I thought the 5MT didn't suffer from binding like the automatics can, and if it was the viscous coupling wouldn't it occur all the time and regardless of which way the wheel is turned?

Yes, you're correct mine did bind in both left and right hand turns. I hope that axle fixes it. Keep us updated. As an owner of a binding popping Subaru I'm curious.

So replacing the right front cv axle fixed the initial problem of the rotating popping sound. I'm pretty sure it was defective from the beginning.

Theres a new clunking sound that's definitely suspension related, and it happens when going over bumps. I can't find anything out of the ordinary so my mechanic will have to take a look at that when the wheel bearing is replaced.

I also noticed that on the right side one of the three nuts that is on top of where the shocks go is broken. They aren't that big of a bolt/nut, but is that critical? I won't be able to have the shop look at if for about a week.

Yes i would say thats critical and probably the cause of your suspension noise when goi going over a bump. Broken strut mounts are a typical culprit for that kind of noise.

Edit- I don't mean critical as in it can't wait till your mechanic looks at it next week, just that its probably the source of that noise. Glad that axle fixed your original problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back