Oil for a 2014 Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I recently purchased her dream vehicle, a 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L/RES. Got it for invoice and have a lifetime power terrain warranty through the dealership with very few strings attached.

I am planning on changing the factory fill at 5000 miles. I am shying away from my go-to Mobil 1 because of VCM shearing issues I have heard about here. I am leaning toward PU, RP, or Redline. I am planning on going with the OEM filter for the duration of the factory warranty. OCI will likely be 5000k due to the nature of my wife's driving style and the nature of VCM engines.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

pu, pp,or M1 will serve you well. redline will not meet manufactures specs, and will be a waste of money, especially since it will toast the warranty. Royal purple is API licensed and available at walmarts, but the price generally puts it out of equations. it is not really worth $4 more a qt over any other synthetic on walmarts shelves. you only need the correct grade oil that is API certified GF-5 SN preferred. preserving the warranty is the big no brainier here. Go by the book for that purpose.

Last edited:
Don't believe PU is available in an 0w/20, which I think is the specified viscosity for your Honda. No reason to avoid Mobil1, by all accounts it's a fine oil, especially as an 0w/20. In addition to M1, consider Honda's full syn, Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. You really wouldn't be gaining anything by going to a boutique oil like RedLine or RP.

As an added benefit, M1, PP and QSUD 0w/20s are typically available at your local WalMart.

I'd use Mobil 1 0W20 and call it a day. It is available just about everywhere and someone is always running a sale on it.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Thanks Donny,

I am heavily leaning toward PU at this point anyway, so that is food for thought.

As Danh said PU is not available in 0w20 which is probably the recommended grade. I didnt think about that. PP, M1 or QSUD are all very reasonably priced oils that meet your spec and all are excellent. If you wanted a "top Teir" branded oil Amsoil OE 0w20 would meet the requirements and it is reasonably priced. I would also look into what it cost to buy hondas own 0w20 from the dealer as mentioned by the others

Should I just stick with the OEM oil at this point? I have heard negative reviews of M1 on Odyssey forums and would hesitate to sub PP for PU. Any other suggestions?

If you plan to have it dealer serviced then definitely nothing wrong with Honda's oil. If you change your own oil you will just need and oil meeting the specs in the manual. M1, or pp will both be excellent. make sure you keep receipts and log your oil changes for your warranty. be very thorough.

I wouldnt be afraid of M1 0w20 its a very good lube as is PP and QSUD 0w20's

Thanks again Donny!

The dealership is not going to do anything other than service the extended warranty for me. Don't worry, I will keep all maintenance receipts and I plan on including video and pics! I just like making sure my services are done correctly (by me) and also that it fits warranty guidelines. Looking at PP even more now.

Have you considered Mazda OEM oil 0W-20 - nice moly content and good (not great) pricing at the Mazda dealer. Worth a look IMO.

It may be little "rude" buying Mazda oil for a Honda, but it is a very, very good oil.

That OCI is WAAYYY too long, 5k should be reasonable.
grin.gif

PP or PU with an OEM filter, you will be fine.
Congrads on the new Van.

PP and call it a day! M1 0w20 is a very good oil, the folks on the Odessey forums have no idea what they are talking about. Best 0w20 for the money IMO. Dont make your choice too difficult, 5k OCI's are "easy" for all of the top tier "syns" we have talked about here. Forget RP or any other of the expensive boutique oils as they are not worth it. PP, M1 or the most reasonably priced major 0w20 will keep that thing running 'til the bottom rusts out!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
M1 0w20 is a very good oil, the folks on the Odessey forums have no idea what they are talking about.

LOL I was thinking the same thing, glad you wrote it and I didn't. I'm sure Tig1 would have said the same thing only you beat him to it!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
M1 0w20 is a very good oil, the folks on the Odessey forums have no idea what they are talking about.

LOL I was thinking the same thing, glad you wrote it and I didn't. I'm sure Tig1 would have said the same thing only you beat him to it!

+1....Another vote for M-1 0w20....which in my opinion is one of the best shelf oils available...and very reasonably priced. 5K OCI's should be a snap with M-1....and also suggest a Purolator PureOne or Classic or Motorcraftas your filter choice.

The Oil and filters can all be bought at WalMart.

I use 0w20 in my toyota. I personally use amsoil. Kendall full syn is another good choice. Pennzoil platinum would be great for 5k changes if you can find it

Been running Mobil 1 0W-20 in the 06 Odyssey since first oil change. Granted only 58k miles but 75% + of that is around town at speeds of 25-35 mph so that Eco drive is kicking in a lot

Mobil 1 with Fram Tough Guard filter at 5k OCIs: $30 combo at Walmart

No complaints...

Congrats! Show us a picture! Whats your basis for M1 0w-20 being no good with the others performing better? I think there may be some holes there, though all would be good oils. Id avoid the redline during warranty though.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Thanks Donny,

I am heavily leaning toward PU at this point anyway, so that is food for thought.

+2 That would be my choice.

2006 Ody iVTEC with VCM and 76K miles of which the first 25K on Honda 5w-20 (not sure if conv or syn blend) and rest exclusively on PU 5w-20 with maintenance minder. No complaints and a peek through the fill hole sees mint (I know...not a true representation of engine condition but at least thereabouts!). 80% severe service miles nd 20% highway miles on the ody.

I switched to a self mix of 2qts Napa 0w20 SN + leftover 2.5 qts Valvoline synpower 5w-30 SM and its working out just fine for the last 1K miles. These oils have slightly lower TBN so they will see 5K OCIs and I will observe for the next 10K miles, but I am thinking I might be a convert from brand exclusivity to any decent synthetic.

This post may not help much, just wanted to share my experience with PU and my 1K miles worth of Valvoline mix feedback.

FWIW, I have also used Synpower 5w-30 SM in the 1999 Camry XLE V6 which is a known sludger. Worked wonders. Used it between 158K to 218K miles in severe service and going strong. No oil leaks and does not burn oil.

Maybe, the Valvoline oils probably rely on a better base stock mix and/or additives that don't show up in OAs (as most VOAs on Synpowers show an average additive pack with no moly and boron)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back