Help me pick my first 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to go for a Colt 1911 as my first gun, but browsing Colt's website (and my local gun shop) reveals that there are quite literally dozens of them, not including all the clones from Kimber, Springfield, etc.

I know that they are highly customizable later on, but I want to be sure I at least start with something solid. I've shot plenty of times, but now I will be owning one.

Can anyone help me understand all the offerings that Colt has? And possibly recommend which makes a good starter? I don't mind spending a bit for a good one.

They fall into a few groups:

1991 Series (FKA M1991A1) you will hear them referred to as ORM (old roll mark) and NRM (new roll mark) Theres are the basic series 80 pistols with spur hammers, "hardballer" type sights and so forth. (the Delta Elite is basically a 1991 in 10mm)

The XSE series, include Novak sights, a beaver tail, front cocking serrations, ambi safeties... This is the more "modern" series. The combat elite is basically an XSE with a single sided safety, national match barrel and a stainless frame with blued slide.

Gold Cup Trophy/National Match wide trigger, slight additional fitting, the blued national match has a standard hammer and grip safety for service pistol matches. Both have Bomar style adjustable sights.

The XSE and 1991 series are available in Government (5") and Commander (4.25) lengths.

The Defender and New Agent are the 3" barrels and the Defender shares most features with the XSE, while the New agent has a 1991 Commander style grip safety.

Features sometimes differ between the stainless and blued models, particularly in less than 5" models. This is most evident in the 1991 Commander where the blued one is quite classic and the stainless has more XSE features. XSE Commanders are also available in lightweight with an aluminum frame and there is a blued XSE lightweight Govt.

Then comes the Custom shop and Series 70 stuff.

My advice is to pick either the 1991 or XSE in a stainless 5" Government model. Theres no real quality difference in the production line pistols so pick on features.

Colt builds very good 1911's You won't go wrong no matter which Colt you pick.

The 1911 market is full of win/win choices. From the uber cool and pricey Wilson Combat, to Springfield, Kimber, [censored] even Rock River has one now.

I have more than a few and I will point out three of my favorites. First is the Springfield TRP. Solid, amazingly accurate off a rest, and pure joy to own and shoot. It is for sure NOT a carry pistol as it is heavy. Probably my favorite of any pistol I own.

Second but not really far behind is Sig. Excellent fit and finish and very comfy. Great all around 1911.

Finally, is the S&W performance center. Really nice 1911 especially light if you want to carry it. Shoots very well, looks darn pretty, light as heck!

Colt makes a really good one and I'm not pooing on you choice but there are sooooo many more and IMHO better options out there. Look around a lot and shoot em if you can.

No argument that there are plenty outside Colt, but at the gun shop today I handled several from Kimber, Springfield, S&W, and some other lesser-known names -- I always came back to the Colt.

My point is more that I don't even know what the major differences are between the various Colt offerings. Yes, there are different triggers, barrel lengths, handles, and finishes, but are the internals all the same? What makes a person pick one gun over another? I don't really have much of an idea for what I want in a gun. My dad's advice was to just pick one that is priced reasonably, learn how to use it, then customize it to your heart's content.

They didn't have the SIG GSR, but that does look like a pretty nice 1911.

The internals are the same in all Colts. (Save the presence or absence of S80 parts).

While there are other nice pistols, colt uses very little MIM ( sear, disconector, and mag catch) and you almost never hear of a failure of Colts MIM. Nearly everything in a Springfield or Kimber is MIM save the slide frame and barrel. You rarely hear about Springfield MIM failing either, Kimber... Well.
whistle.gif

Sig is IIRC also has relatively little MIM, but most if not all have an external extractor, this (external extractor) is also true of S&W I believe.

If it matters to you, Colts frames slides and barrels are forged in the USA on Colts tooling. Springfields are forged in Brazil by Imbel no matter whether the pistol is marked USA or Brazil.

IMO only one close to Colt for less than 2000 is Dan Wesson in parts quality.

As I said already, pick your Colt on features, no difference in parts quality or fitting in non-custom shop guns...

Oh, as far as what makes someone pick one over the other - features...

My advice for just a range pistol if you are right handed is a Model O1091, this is just a standard 1991 series Government model.

My 1991 series is one of the few pistols that I've not felt the need to modify beyond changing the stocks.

1991 is a good choice, as is the gold cup. Still, Im curious why you wouldnt consider one of the higher end Kimber models. I love mine.

I did check out the Kimber Pro Carry .45. Not a bad gun and certainly cheaper than the comparable Colts, but the grip safety felt awful in my hand.

I'm not far from Kimber factory and they offer LE her ein Westchester a great price. Great people too! We wen't with their rifles for our sniper teams about 5 years ago. Great rifles.

Kimber 1911's can be so different unit to unit. Many of them are superb and shoot as if it were a competition pistol while other won't feed a [censored] thing! A frind of mine bought a carry model with a bull barrel and her little pocket 45 will shoot 5 into the same hole over and over again and eats any ammo put through it. Another dept. member has the larger version of the same Kimber series....malfunctions often. Has been back 3x's and still has issues with it.

Roll the dice; if you get a good one they are amazing. If not you won't be very happy.

Sure cant go wrong with Colt. Either decision you make I'm sure you'll be smiling soon.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Roll the dice; if you get a good one they are amazing. If not you won't be very happy.

"Rolling the dice" with a gun doesn't seem like the best idea, in my opinion. I'd rather spend extra for something I know will be reliable.

*Sleeper 1911* Rock Island Armory FS 1911 Tactical - $500 buys you a solid performer which has a tight fit ; New grips and possibly night sights added and your good to go . Rascal will feed anything you put in her ! From $600 - $1500 I like Springfields ...at $1500+ you get into the Les Baers and such .

Guy at the gun shop actually suggested that one too, Chris.

The Sig 1911 Stainless (GSR) looks pretty nice too. Guess I need to make another trip and check out a few more in person.

The O1911 and O1918 WW1 replicas are probably as close as you will get to the real 1911. The 100 year anniversary guns are also the WW1 gun, I think. These were all custom shop guns, not much more $$ than the regular line, and quite a few were made. New ones are probably still available.

The Rock Islands are a good everyday 1911, and a great value.

1911's are just great guns.

Sounds like you just want a Colt .45. I'd get a classic base steel model like the O1991 or O4691 and have fun. You can customize later if you want.

dparm : Be careful with the Sig's - they are a "Sig 1911" and not a true 1911 so internals are different . Also , I prefer a : "Series 70" 1911 and not the more modern : " Series 80" which in my opinion has too much extra safety parts added in the trigger assembly making it difficult to fine tune the trigger .

I would say you can't go completely wrong with any of the above choices. Even used from someone you know, it's easy to replace wear parts.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
dparm : Be careful with the Sig's - they are a "Sig 1911" and not a true 1911 so internals are different . Also , I prefer a : "Series 70" 1911 and not the more modern : " Series 80" which in my opinion has too much extra safety parts added in the trigger assembly making it difficult to fine tune the trigger .

True the Sig and Smith and Wesson use an external extractor but I would not let that sway me away from either.

Most people can't tell the difference between a series 70 and 80. In fact on my Colt Rail Gun, I converted it to a Series 70, and it feels the same.

Here are mine:

1911s.JPG

P1010208.JPG

OP: just putting it out there, i have the Springfield armory 1911 and my dad has a Kimber (his is all dressed up) both are excellent arms.. never EVER had a jam. I dont think there are alot of bad choices out there untill you get into the ubber cheap clones.. then watch out. Kimber, Colt, Springfield.. all will hold value well, go pick them all up, play with them.. My next pistol will be a Kimber 1911 ultra carry I fully trust Kimber and Springfield, and have little doubts about the Colt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back