Napa-Wix filters vs Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use Purolator premium plus oil filters, but every once and a while i will go with a Wix. I have heard that Napa gold is a Wix oil filter. Anyway, the Napa Gold filter would take longer for my oil pressure gauge to go up. Every morning it would take about 4-5 seconds after the engine was started for the gauge to go up. It would show nothing, then it would go up fast. I switched back to Purolator Premium Plus and the gauge goes up fast instantly. Why is this? I thought maybe the rubber plate was stronger to let oil into the Napa-Wix filter.

The rubber plate is the anti-drainback valve. It serves two purposes--to keep the dirt & oil inside the filter so it doesn't run back into your engine, and to keep oil in the filter so when you start the engine it doesn't have to take the time to fill the filter housing.

It sounds like that filter has an anti-drainback valve that doesn't seal. Either a single bad unit, or a poor design???

Ken

Jon what kind of car do you have? I bought my Miata new in 1996 and have used Fram filters since new,always oil pressure very quickly. I change the oil at 4 months or 3 thousand miles though if that makes a difference?

Wix makes filters for quite a few companies and of varying quality. Their own ST label filters are really nice but I've seen others that aren't.

I believe NAPA's silver filters are cheap imports. This tells me their own standards aren't high, at least where filters are concerned. Therefore the Gold series may not get Wix's best attention.

Consider PureOne filters. They're very efficient and generally of high quality for a very good price. I did buy one just the other day with a misaligned drainback valve that would have shown the same oil-pressure symptom you describe. Heads up.

Bottom line, there's very little room for brand loyalty. These things are low-price commodities, may change designs every week, and individual units can be completely defective. Shop class should teach at least a cursory inspection of new parts.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back