What oil should I run in my new Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I just bought a new 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 in it. While I don't need to change the oil for awhile yet, I wanted to get some other people's thoughts on a good oil for this engine. It calls for a 5W-20.

I currently run PYB in all of my vehicles and will probably run it in this car unless there is some other oil that you think might work better. I'm not very familiar with this engine at all. I'm typically a GM guy and this is my first Ford product since my first car(72 Ford LTD) back when I was 18. Thanks for any thoughts.

Wayne

Please don't run PYB conventional oil in this absolute powerhouse of a motor! This engine at the minimum deserves a quality blend such as MotorCraft 5W-20 or a quality Full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil Signature Series!

Driving habits? What do you think your OCI will be? At a minimum at least be sure whatever 5W-20 you get claims to meet the Ford spec listed in your owner's manual while under warranty. Most data sheets mention major manufactuers' performance requirements; i.e., Ford's WSS-MC2C945-A spec.
Congrats on your new ride.
Kevin

Seriously if you were closer I would give you the best deal I could on Motorcraft 5w20 blend or full just to make sure it got what was required. The Motorcraft is really good oil, also use the FL-500S filter. Your Mustang should take 8 quarts on a change and they really are good for the 10K OCI.

Heard good things about the MC in threads on here. Amsoil won't hurt a bit either.

There's nothing wrong with choosing the Motorcraft 5w-20 blend. However, it's equally valid to run PYB 5w-20 (which meets the specification) or something as expensive as M1 EP. Note that in Canada, Motorcraft oil is not the C-P blend you guys get in the States; it's a conventional 5w-20, and it hasn't caused the sky to fall.

If it were me, I'd be mighty tempted to run the PYB, but mostly because that's more readily available (and cheaper) than the Motorcraft up here. MC oil is far more readily available down south than it is in Canada; up here, it's a dealer only product. Run whatever you like that meets the specification, and sleep well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Motorcraft 5W20 blend was the other oil I was considering. I use it in my fiancée's 2007 Mustang GT. I do plan on using the correct Motorcraft filter as I do on her Mustang.

Since I have not finished reading the owner's manual, does this engine really go 10,000 miles per oil change?

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Since I have not finished reading the owner's manual, does this engine really go 10,000 miles per oil change?

Sure does. That was part of the reason for the 8qt sump. Personally I would use the Motorctraft 5W20 full syn throughout the warranty period. If the car has the track pack it should spec 5W50.

Motorcraft 5W20 blend was the other oil I was considering. I use it in my fiancée's 2007 Mustang GT.

The answer is here. Motorcraft is a great oil and you will only have to stock one brand/weight for both cars.

The new VSP 0w20 in running in the honda seems like a real good 20 grade oil afa ring sticking goes amoung 20 grade ive run recently. Dont know if it meets the ford 20 grade spec - dont see why it wouldnt exceed it - except for the TEOST 33C high temp deposit test. In this case the ULTRA 5w20 would be a safer warranty choice.

Last edited:
I'm not a ford guy either, not since my '87 F150 caught fire while my stepdad was driving it down the road.

However, Motorcraft products are top quality. If I owned a ford, I'd use them without hesitation.

The first two fills I'd run PYB 5W20 for 5,000 mi each and hunt down sales during that time for PU.

Follow the common break in recommendations for the first 1,000 miles then do some occasional WOT up on ramps to really seat the rings.

Then I'd run Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 for the rest of the life of the car.

My second choice would be Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W20.

Yep, I'm on board with Motorcraft or PYB or whatever low-cost, quality conventional you prefer and a Motorcraft filter. The oil and the engine don't need any more than that and you'd never notice the difference anyway other than having less spending money.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The first two fills I'd run PYB 5W20 for 5,000 mi each and hunt down sales during that time for PU.

Follow the common break in recommendations for the first 1,000 miles then do some occasional WOT up on ramps to really seat the rings.

Then I'd run Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 for the rest of the life of the car.

My second choice would be Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W20.
= I like the ULTRA rec. I would advise a driving style to seat the rings during the first few hours of operation. WOT + LOW>MID rpm - not redline. OTW the hone will get rolled. Break ins are tough with the slickifiers in the ILSAC oils. Bike oils may work better - any shared sump 20 grades out?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
So you both drive Mustang GTs. Do you two compete on the roads with the cars?

No we don't compete. My fiancée hardly ever drives hers. She bought it used in 2010 with 6,900 miles on it and it now has about 17,000 miles on it.

As far as the oil goes, I will probably stick with the Motorcraft 5W-20 for the oil. I've never seen the full synthetic stuff so will probably just use the semi-synthetic.

How many miles should I go on the factory fill? I plan on taking this car on vacation next month and it's a 12 hour drive one way. I don't know how many miles will be on the car before we go and we will be gone for a week. It will probably have a couple of thousand miles on it before we get back.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
So you both drive Mustang GTs. Do you two compete on the roads with the cars?

No we don't compete. My fiancée hardly ever drives hers. She bought it used in 2010 with 6,900 miles on it and it now has about 17,000 miles on it.

As far as the oil goes, I will probably stick with the Motorcraft 5W-20 for the oil. I've never seen the full synthetic stuff so will probably just use the semi-synthetic.

How many miles should I go on the factory fill? I plan on taking this car on vacation next month and it's a 12 hour drive one way. I don't know how many miles will be on the car before we go and we will be gone for a week. It will probably have a couple of thousand miles on it before we get back.

Wayne

I'd change it before your trip. Most of the break in wear will have occurred and trending downward.
The coyote is a marvel,given to us by the engine gods.
Put a can of mos2 or ceratec in there too. Might as well keep it new forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back