2008 WRX STI Dealer Overfilled Rear Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I was just out of warranty and hoping the dealer would trouble-shoot and fix a binding issue I've been experiencing for the past few thousand miles that has been slowly worsening. I should have taken it in sooner, but long shift hours has been taking up most of my time. Well, the long and the short of it is, the dealer spoke with the regional rep, who offered to pay for half of the cost to replace my rear viscous-coupling rear diff, which they were 100% sure was causing the issue.

Well, the STI doesn't have a viscous-coupling, it has a Torque Sensing rear LSD. They took another day to think about it. The next day, they called and said it was definitely the center differential. I thanked them for their time and agreed to pay them 1/4 of the time they say they spent trouble-shooting, because I was doing more of it on my end, over the phone, than they were.

When I pick the car up, they say they even went so far as to drain the rear diff to see if there were any indication of failure there (there were not; just amber-colored, 30k-old, EXPENSIVE Motul Gear 300.) I didn't ask for the drain and fill, and so did not pay for it.

FAST FORWARD ~ 1.5 months and ~1k miles later:

I've been on travel and in training for the past few weeks, and the STI sat either at the airport or at home, with not many miles since being at the dealer and leaving for travel. When I started driving again, the binding was MUCH worse than before.

I put the car up on a lift yesterday afternoon and noted that the top of the differential cover was coated in black, greasy goop, and a fresh, dark-colored drop of sulfur-smelling gear oil was forming at the bottom of the differential. I loosened the temp sensor in the fill port just enough to break the o-ring seal, and a plop of dark-gray oil plopped out (NOTE: I only drove 3 miles from work to the hobby shop, and the diff was cool to the touch when I performed this check.)I tightened the sensor and immediately called the dealer.

I'm now in their loaner and have supplied them with a sample bottle to collect some of the eflluent when they check later today or tomorrow. (The 2013 Legacy is pretty nice, albeit very noisy, btw.)

So, 2 things:

Damage? The oil that the dealer drained with 30k miles on it was amber. The oil they replaced came out looking dark gray, with a slight luster to it. If the diff was filled to the vent port and the lube aerated, could that cause failure in a bearing, etc.?

Honor? What do you think the chances of the dealer owning up to this are? (NOTE: this same dealer has caused accidental minor damage and replaced/repaired without any argument.) My concern is that they "forget" to check and fail remember the effluent characteristics when they drain and refill. I've given them a sample bottle, so I'm also hoping I don't get back something looking remarkably like the new bulk oil they put in, saying something like, "see, it looks fine after 1k miles, what did you expect. The overfill didn't cause any issues, it's just the same issue you had all along, but now it's getting worse. NOW, we'll gladly fix it for $1k dollar bucks!"

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't know anything about Subarus, having said that, I would simply bite the bullet and do the job myself properly instead of relying on this dealer, that already proved itself to be incompetent.

Also, since a different fluid did cause a change in car's behavior perhaps it is the differential that's causing it, or the oil in it.
I would re-evaluate the oil for the differential. Maybe use something else. Perhaps it was slightly overfilled before?

The spec is GL-5 and Motul is one of the best for this application. I filled it myself and know for certain that it was slowly dribbling out of the fill port before I installed the fill plug.

More info:

The FF came out VERY dark gray. I'll post pics and the UOA when I get home.

The order of events is approximately:

~30k: dumped FF for Motul Gear 300. FF looked dark gray.

~57-58k: Issues started with binding - too busy at work to trouble-shoot.

61k: Dealer drain and refilled with unknown lube. Motul drained out amber.

Now (62k): binding getting MUCH worse. Check of rear diff showed signs of over-fill, to the point of apparently burping out of the vent port, which is on top of the diff. Dealer now has vehicle AND sample bottle.

Last edited:
BE TEHRE WHEN THEY DRAIN IT

and drain it into a NEW container of some type so you can measure how much was in it, otherwise they're going to just take a sample and you'll have no proof.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
.............I'm now in their loaner................The 2013 Legacy is pretty nice, albeit very noisy, btw.).............

Noisier than your STI ? !

Be calm but firm and INSIST that they correct ANY damage done as a result of their INCOMPETENCE.

The odd thing is that the fluid you saw after the dealer replaced it was NOTHING like the factory fill that came out. Frankly it sounds like they took used oil and put it in there.

Don't take no for an answer, if the SM gives you a hard time speak to the dealer owner or principal.

I had my gearbox bearings replaced under warranty in my Toyota a few years back. The shifting was difficult from the day I got it back. After a few days I decided to crack the fill plug to make sure it was filled correctly, and to oil was jet black. I dumped the oil and re-filled with castrol multitrax, shifting was like new. My thoughts is the filled the box with engine oil by accident, since it's all bulk fill from my Toyota dealer. Just a thought

You were right. I asked the service guy to please at least call me before they drain it to give me the chance to come in (I could have been there in 15-20 min,) but he didn't. He called me at around 1430 to tell me my car was all set. Just a, "your car is all set. You can come pick it up asap,” with no additional information at all.

Well, I had some questions (this is how the conversation went):

Me: So....what did you guys do?
Him: We drained it to the proper level.

Me: Wait, did you only remove the fill plug and drain to there or did you drain and refill the entire thing? Did you guys remember to collect the sample? What color was it?
Him: We drained it to the fill plug. Yes, we got the sample, but it only filled about 1/4 of the bottle. It looked normal.

Me: What do you mean it looked normal? Was it amber or was it some other color? How much actually drained out?
Him: Well, it's kind of gray. I don’t know how much drained out.

Me: Ok, so when you drained the 30kmi-old oil last time you had my car, it came out amber, right?
Him: Yes

Me: So, does the oil coming out looking gray after only 1kmi seem normal to you? Did you guys add any additives last time?
Him: No, I guess it doesn't. No, we didn't add anything.

Me: Well, what do you think caused the oil to turn such a color in so short a time?

My frustration is coming across strongly in my voice, I know it. He's getting frustrated back.

Him: Look, I’m not going to argue. I don’t know what you’re trying to get me to say or admit to. I don’t know what you want.

Me: Look, I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk, but please understand my frustration. This is a potentially expensive and frustrating issue, and it seems like you guys are doing the bare minimum to get me out of your hair and nothing more. It would be nice if you were on my team and we could have a conversation about what we think is going on, instead of me pointing everything out to you guys and getting nothing at all in return except for a quote for something you want to replace.
Him: I understand, and it’s tough, with Subaru, you and every one else.

Me: I know, but, if you agree that something seems off here, then I’d really appreciate it if you spoke with your manager, as I have, and told him what you think. Ask the techs to do the same, if you can. I want to figure this out.
Him: Ok, I’ll talk to the manager tomorrow and see what they say.

//

I drove over after work, just before they closed, and the sample bottle had an oz. or two of fluid, almost nothing. The color was DARK gray and there was black sediment at the bottom. There is no way that the diff was full enough to overflow through the vent, but all they got was an oz. when they removed the fill plug.

I’ve still got the loaner and I’ll know more tomorrow, after I hear from the manager.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
.............I'm now in their loaner................The 2013 Legacy is pretty nice, albeit very noisy, btw.).............

Noisier than your STI ? !

Haha, no way. It was noisier than what the interwebs led me to believe, is all.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Be calm but firm and INSIST that they correct ANY damage done as a result of their INCOMPETENCE.

The odd thing is that the fluid you saw after the dealer replaced it was NOTHING like the factory fill that came out. Frankly it sounds like they took used oil and put it in there.

Don't take no for an answer, if the SM gives you a hard time speak to the dealer owner or principal.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Great another terrible stealership story!

When are stealers going to realize they have terrible customer service and ethics?
Originally Posted By: fj610
I had my gearbox bearings replaced under warranty in my Toyota a few years back. The shifting was difficult from the day I got it back. After a few days I decided to crack the fill plug to make sure it was filled correctly, and to oil was jet black. I dumped the oil and re-filled with castrol multitrax, shifting was like new. My thoughts is the filled the box with engine oil by accident, since it's all bulk fill from my Toyota dealer. Just a thought

It may be that they dumped the wrong fluid in.

These guys have made a few mistakes in the past and owned up to all of them. I'm hoping they do now as well. The only reason I'm even dealing with them, is because I think a grand to replace the rear diff (with 2-year warranty) seems like a decent option if I have to do it.

Sadly, I'm most likely going to trade this thing in and get a grownup car sooner than later. I'll end up trading and taking a big hit, too, because I don't want to deal with a private buyer hassling me over everything that may go wrong in the future. Stupid accident...

Here's the FACTORY FILL, at 17k (I got the FF dump wrong in an earlier post, whoops!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back