OEM Toyota Filter=Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the parts manager at the Toyota dealership that gets my business and asked who manufactures the Toyota OEM filters about a month ago. He looked at case of oil filters and said that it said Denso on it.

Good point about the domestic content. Toyota filters do say made in the USA on the individual boxes, where they used to be made in Japan. Denso does have US plants, but I will buy a Fram filter and take both it and an OEM filter apart.

I hope that I don't see cardboard end caps on that OEM filter!

Why I ask the question of whether or not OEM Toyota filters are Fram because I read some where on the net that Fram makes the U.S. and Canadian Toyota OEM filters. I forgot the website so I asked everyone here. I also heard that Fram also makes it for Honda. Hope someone can clarify this myth.
smile.gif

I haven't had the time to hacksaw my OEM Toyota filter apart, but I did a visual comparison against a Fram filter.

Fram has some type of rubber valve visible inside at the top versus what appears to be a spring or metal one at the top of the OEM filter. Base plates are nothing alike and the OEM filter is noticeably heavier.

Romania Toyota of Eugene, Oregon has a statement on their website regarding who designed and engineered Toyota OEM oil filters (Nippondenso), but does not mention who builds them

[ September 19, 2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I dislike Fram filters as much as the next guy, but I honestly don't think you have to worry *too* much about which company manufactures the OEM filter. The reason I say that is that whoever it is, they will be required to build it to Toyota's or Honda's specs.

But don't all those Fram made Honda and/or Toyota filters use the cardboard endcaps too? That alone is enough to make me worry, even if the rest of the parts might be better than the regular Fram.

quote:

Originally posted by 2533a:
I haven't had the time to hacksaw my OEM Toyota filter apart, but I did a visual comparison against a Fram filter.

Fram has some type of rubber valve visible inside at the top versus what appears to be a spring or metal one at the top of the OEM filter. Base plates are nothing alike and the OEM filter is noticeably heavier.

Romania Toyota of Eugene, Oregon has a statement on their website regarding who designed and engineered Toyota OEM oil filters (Nippondenso), but does not mention who builds them

Most likely, from your observations Fram don't make OEM Toyota filters. That is good.
smile.gif

[ September 19, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Fram proabably meets the specs but using cheap materials and the infamous cardboard endcaps. I'll pass on OEM Honda filters unless the filter is made in Japan which I know will not be Fram.

I just hacksawed my old Toyota filter and the Purolator PureOne that I used for 600 miles with Auto-Rx in my '88 Supra.

It looks to me like the Toyota filter is a Purolator Premium Plus. The "string" around the middle is the obvious indicator. There were fewer pleats than the PureOne has so it must be the Premium Plus.

GACrabill,

Was that Toyota filter you took apart made in the USA? I'm guessing that this is the case as you identified it as a Purolator.

I just had a partial case of old Toyota filters given to me by a friend who traded her '95 4Runner in on a new '02. She bought the case at the same time she picked up the '95 4Runner, used some and then forgot about them. Anyhow, these "old" filters were made in Japan and were marked "Denso" as well. These are the ones that have a nifty pre-lubed gasket and protective plastic cover over the base of the filter that has to be removed prior to installation.

I recently bought Toyota 90915-20004 and 90915-YZZB5 filters. Both were made by Denso in Japan, and both have what seems to be a resin impregnated felt media, no pleated media, and no end caps. These filters fit the 4.7L V8 and other Toyota/Lexus engines.

Ken

Jay Marks Toyota Toyotaworld.com, ten 90915-20004 filters for $60.40 + UPS. I have a Tundra with the V8 engine.

Ken

I paid $39.50 which includes shipping for (10)90915-YZZB5 filters from this Toyota online dealer...
grin.gif
romania toyota parts

[ October 13, 2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Arnold:
I paid $39.50 which includes shipping for (10)90915-YZZB5 filters from this Toyota online dealer...
grin.gif

Are the 90915-YZZB5 the same, 'Made in Japan' Denso filters as the 90915-20004? A part number search on another parts web site correlated the 90915-YZZB5 to the cheaper (in both quality and price) domestic-made filter.

The 90915-20004 is my filter of choice for all 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder Toyota engines.

[ October 13, 2002, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I've cut open a 90915-YZZB5 filter and looked inside a 90915-20004 filter.

Both have a rigid material for the filter media, resin impregnated felt or foam or something, not the usual pleated media. Ribs are molded into the filter material for more filtering area, and the -20004 filter has more of these ribs for more filter area. As I said above, both are made in Japan by Denso.

The -20004 filter has a bypass valve, and Baldwin's catalog says it's 18 psid. The -YZZB5 filter does not have a bypass valve.

The -20004 filter was original equipment from the factory on the Toyota/Lexus 4.7 liter V8. Toyota dealers sell the -YZZB5 filter for oil changes except after an engine rebuild. I've heard speculation that the -YZZB5 filter is available so the dealers will have a lower cost filter.

-

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back