Hitch and trunk mounted bike carriers and the law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transporting bike(s) with a hitch or rear mount carrier usually obstructs the lights and/or license plate. Are there known places that cite people for this?

2ia2wc8.jpg

I was just wondering that myself. Two days ago I was at the gas station and there was this van with a four-bike hitch carrier. I didn't even know they made such a thing, the four bikes stuck out half the vehicle length behind the van. It was something.

I've done it with 3-4 bikes hanging off a two bike rack on the trunk of a diminuitive saturn s-series. I do have a front license plate if anyone really wants to check up on me... the rear isn't visible any more.

Never got grief from the fuzz. I would hope they'd be happy for me obviously taking my little kids on a wholesome activity.

License plate readers haven't really taken off here yet.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I don't know but it sounds like a great idea with red light, speed, & tracking cameras popping up all around the country.

Agreed!!

The red light camera's snap a series of high speed photos as the vehicle passes....

Most of the time cops aren't looking to get into the car of the average guy/gal carrying bikes on the rear. Try it at 2am in a known drug area and I gaurentee that will be the reason you get stopped and interviewed to see what is afoot.

Most red light cameras use a flash to illuminate you well enough to read the plate.

Consider removing your plate and painting it in extremely high gloss clear coat. Many times this will create a glare....

I actually made a plate mount for my hitch-mounted bike carrier when I used it on the Jeep. But then I also took a 4-bike carrier, modified it to carry the spare tire and 2 bikes, which did totally block the plate from view. I left the spare on the carrier all the time- made a ton of room in the hatchback, but my daughter didn't like having to fold the carrier down (with heavy spare on it) to get in the hatch. So the bike/spare carrier went in the garage when she took the Jeep.

I have used hitch mount racks for years, although only usually max of 2 bikes on them, and I have never once had a problem with the fuzz. I really love hitch mount and would not have it any other way anymore.

I have a Thule T2 on my truck. It blocks the plate when it's folded up and carries two bikes usually and four when I add the adapter. I've driven it to Maine, Florida, Pennsylvania... All over with two and four bikes.
Never been bothered about it. Been pulled over for speeding and the officer said nothing about the bikes.
I know for a fact it prevented me from getting a ticket for being in the wrong lane on the Florida Turnpike without a Sunpass.

I like the idea of a supplimental brake light to overcome some of the blockage...

Unobstructing the license plate, not so much
smile.gif

Ive never been bothered, and we have thousands of miles of travel with a hitch bike transport.

So far I've not had any problems with this in TX, NM, AZ or CA on the back of my motorhome. I also don't keep the bikes covered from rain though so my taillights show through fairly well. I did have a tarp over them at first but gave up after i realized rain still gets in mostly to the gears due to wind. They aren't high dollar bikes anyway. I keep them lubed up from time to time with bike chain lube and just don't stress about it.

Maybe your vehicle was fitting a description of someone they were looking for but they ran the plate and it came back not the person they wanted.

I keep considering adding a red brake light to my hitch carrier and wire it up to plug into the trailer harness. but I haven't done so, so far. A cheap $4 red clearance light with sticky backing would work nicely if it has a ground wire as well. Stick it right on the carrier's square tube that goes up from the hitch mount. It would be mounted very low and recessed from the bikes, but it would be something extra, at least.

I've never had a problem with my rack that obscures my license plat but we in WA state have mandatory front license plates. So maybe that's why its A-OK.

Or...

Hmmm, there's a guy in a well maintained F150 with a $500 bike rack and a thousands of dollars worth of bikes minding his business with his family and complying with all traffic laws. Seriously. Vehicles with bikes generally don't fit the profile.

And yes, profiling exists and it will always will exist. Its human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back