Not open for further replies.
TG3506a.jpg

TG3506b.jpg

TG3506c.jpg

TG3506d.jpg

TG3506e.jpg

TG3506f.jpg

TG3506g.jpg

It looks very good. Tough Guards are now rated by Fram for up to 10k miles and this one sure looks like it was easily good for more.

The only filters I like more than Tough Guards are Motorcrafts. I wish the TG's were just a bit cheaper though.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!!!

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Isn't the TG an Extra Guard with silicone adbv and more media?

More media but it is different media, it has a higher percentage of synthetic blend in it. That's why the orange can is rated at 95% efficiency but the Tough Guard is 99%.

Looks like it did a good job! I plan to run a TG next OCI on the Uplander. Wont go back to purolator most likely. I dont like how the media was wavy after only 3000 miles. Thanks for cutting and posting!

Sounds good.....I have some neighbors who only want the Fram HM orange can during their OCI.

No Fram Tough Guard, Extra Guard or Ultra but instead an oversized Fram HM oil filter. They have been using these filters for years....and they insist on using ONLY the Fram HM filter for their vehicles.

No complaints....the OCI is done every 5K miles with Valvoline HM and the oil fill hole is spotless.

Everyone has their favorites......

Nothing to see here folks! Just an ordinary filter that dis it's job well with no drama. I think the extra media is a plus over the lesser Frams. Can't remember what the price point is on these guys.

For a premium filter, they sure are cheap on the media. Some of those pleats are pretty wide.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
For a premium filter, they sure are cheap on the media. Some of those pleats are pretty wide.

I agree that for the price paid, you would expect to see some more media. However, it seems like it did its job.

The TG is a decent filter as evidenced by some TG autopsies, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was on sale.

The filter was $5.94 which was about $1.00 more than an AC Delco.

This was a WalMart oil change and they will credit the standard "core" filter toward another filter.

Oil was the standard Quaker State conventional "e-box" advanced durability.

The interval is mandated 5000 mile target but ended up a little shorter due to a trip. Next one will be slightly longer.

Wait I thought TG had a bypass valve with a screen over it?

Picture after picture I see online all show this.

DSC02263.jpg

and

the-fram-tough-guard-features-this-screened-over-bypass-valve-great-p.jpg

but yours doesnt even have a bypass period...
Did they forget to put it on ?????

Last edited:
Fram dropped the screen over the bypass a few years back. Some filter have no bypass depending on the vehicle it's spec'd for, many GM vehicles for example.

Originally Posted By: David1
but yours doesnt even have a bypass period...
Did they forget to put it on ?????

It's for a Chebby man ... doesn't require no stinking bypass valve (as it's built in to the engine block).
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks like it did a good job! I plan to run a TG next OCI on the Uplander. Wont go back to purolator most likely. I dont like how the media was wavy after only 3000 miles. Thanks for cutting and posting!

Wavy? Hilarious.
When the adhesive cools the end cap becomes wavy,so its like that from new.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Its their mid-tier filter.

Looks good... I would prefer a little more media pleat density, but that's just being picky
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back