Switching from State Farm to Geico insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been insured through State Farm ever since I start driving when I was 16... Nine years now. Never had ticket or accident, just two windshield claims (easy enough).

My premium for 6-month is $460 currently with State Farm... I decided to do some shopping around and Geico for a comparable (if not better package) is quoting $265 for me.

Anybody have experience with Geico recently and how they handle claims and everything?

Appreciate the information!

I have had Geico for many years now and they seem to be a fine insurance company. I had one claim for hitting a rock in a ditch avoiding a deer. They paid it no problem.

I even had a couple of glass claims, side window in car and back window in cap on pickup. They paid with no problem. The one in the cap I was not sure about. Its not part of the pickup, its an add-on.

Just curious on the glass/damage claim, did they allow you to chose who did the work? State Farm allowed me to use a local place I like due to the glass company they use and the quality of work. Just want to make sure I would still have that option for both body/glass incidents that may occur.

Last edited:
Before you make that switch just remember one thing. State Farm only uses OEM replacement collision parts. Bumpers, fenders, doors, headlamps, etc...
Geico uses as much "aftermarket" repair parts as possible. As a manager at a collision center that uses Geico for a large chunk of our business, I feel its only fair to warn you.
All the aftermarket crash panels are made in Taiwan, and rarely ever live up to OEM quality. They are very difficult to fit properly. I joke that we are sometimes building Chinese vehicles. Trust me, we HATE having to do that and its a constant battle with them to use quality parts.
Bring in a German Audi, drive out in a chinese Audi. Bring in an American Ford, drive out in a chinese Ford.
Just some food for thought. You may never ever have an accident. But that one time you do, you may wish you have stayed with State Farm.
Plus using genuine OEM parts maks the job go faster and its a better quality fit and finish.
But I truly understand the temptation to go with what suits your wallet. As I do the same.

I've had very good luck and results with State Farm. Had them for the last 15 years. My insurance is only $520 a year for both Lexus vehicles, but even if someone cut that rate in half I probably would not switch.

Remember 15 minutes can save you 15% or more and you seem to prove that in this case
10.gif

Ask yourself this: how is it that they're so much cheaper? Does State Farm really have THAT level of overhead?

Unlikely. It comes down to the level of coverage and their likelihood to pay out (and the amount) on claims. If you are a very safe driver and never get into accidents, this might help you save some cash.

However, will they go-to-bat for you if there's a problem with a collision someone else caused? Will they be your advocate?

Are you sure the Geico quote is for the exact same coverages and deductibles you currently have with State Farm? It wouldn't surprise me to see Geico a little cheaper, but you're talking almost half the price. Geico likes to put you on the minimum coverage for your state in order to get you the cheapest price, where a SF agent will usually give you higher coverages unless you ask for the minimums. Higher deductibles will also lower your rates significantly.

I'd get a copy of that quote in writing and talk to your current State Farm agent. Ask for a review of your policy to make sure you're getting the best possible price. You may be eligible for discounts you currently aren't getting, which may get you closer to Geico's price. Also, if my math is correct you are 25 years old. That's when you can typically expect a drop in your insurance rates. This is probably figured in to Geico's quote, but not your current rate with SF. Your renewal with SF may be cheaper than your current rate just because you turned 25.

I switched from Allstate to Geico. My daughter was getting her own policy and shopped around. She got quotes from 3 or 4 companies and Geico was the cheapest. When it was renewal time, I got a quote from Geico and it beat Allstate by hundreds. One claim when my car was totalled by another driver and Geico paid more than I could have ever sold the car for.
Allstate homeowners went up as I split the policy but I still came out ahead. Tried to switch h/o's to Geico but they were more than Allstate.

KD0AXS,

Yes, it is exact. I even called to verify the quote was correct and we went down my entire State Farm billing to make sure everything was identical (or better).

And about the 25 thing, that is what I expected (a drop in price with State Farm). When I talked to them, since my good student discount would be going away (stops at 25) and being replaced by the drop in price at 25, it was only a $10-15 difference... Sad, but true. I basically lost a discount and gained one at about equal costs.

I am going to call State Farm tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:
Their rates increase quick if you have even a slight blemish.

I was shopping them, gave me a teaser rate. Neither my wife nor I have gotten a moving violation in forever, and no accidents, knock on wood, at our fault ever either.

She got a cellphone ticket four years ago. Apparently they hold this stuff against you.

They doubled our premium from the "top most ultra preferred" to a lower tier because of this.

Doubled. On her and I. Granted it was still cheaper than our existing insurer, but that is quite a game.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Before you make that switch just remember one thing. State Farm only uses OEM replacement collision parts. Bumpers, fenders, doors, headlamps, etc...
Geico uses as much "aftermarket" repair parts as possible. As a manager at a collision center that uses Geico for a large chunk of our business, I feel its only fair to warn you.
All the aftermarket crash panels are made in Taiwan, and rarely ever live up to OEM quality. They are very difficult to fit properly. I joke that we are sometimes building Chinese vehicles. Trust me, we HATE having to do that and its a constant battle with them to use quality parts.
Bring in a German Audi, drive out in a chinese Audi. Bring in an American Ford, drive out in a chinese Ford.
Just some food for thought. You may never ever have an accident. But that one time you do, you may wish you have stayed with State Farm.
Plus using genuine OEM parts maks the job go faster and its a better quality fit and finish.
But I truly understand the temptation to go with what suits your wallet. As I do the same.

+1. You truly do get what you pay for with these discount insurers. I would stay with State Farm.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

+1. You truly do get what you pay for with these discount insurers. I would stay with State Farm.

Doesnt one have a say in terms of what shop is used, and what parts are used? I thought that the person getting repairs done had a lot of say.

If I were hit by someone who has geico (and was at fault), would they only give me aftermarket junk, even if I were insured by State Farm?

Fortunately Ive never had to go through this to know...

I have two friends that I talked with that have Geico (one for 19 years and the other for a few years) and both said nothing but excellent stuff about them. Here was one of the comments, copy/pasted from my one friend:

"OK, now that I am on an actual PC, I can give you the scoop on my claims.

1. Sept. 2008. Someone rammed my front end, while I was not in the car. I have no clue who did it and came out to find it pushed in. NICE. Geico handled it quickly, telling me to go and find any repair shop. I did not even see the $. They handled it between themselves. All fixed $4900 I believe that was.

2. Aug 1 2011. Hail Storm. Like softball sized hail. NO JOKE. I stopped counting on the hood at 30 dents. It was crazy. Never ever have seen anything like it. I went to a Geico certified shop this time out, b/c the rental car was right there in office. $8700 and fixed.

My insurance never went up from either incident. Geico quickly handled all my claims. You can check them online at anytime. Payment is easy. You can break it up several ways. Geico Privileges is pretty cool...discounts here and there. I used it for some Cali discounts last year actually/. And, did I mention they are the most reasonable insurance around? Everyone else when I check, tries to charge me $400 or more per 6 mos."

My other friend also confirmed I can use any repair shop for the repairs (he has had work done).

And I found information on State Farm's page saying they will use non-OEM and refurbished parts in the repair as well. It does not say OEM only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
KD0AXS,

Yes, it is exact. I even called to verify the quote was correct and we went down my entire State Farm billing to make sure everything was identical (or better).

And about the 25 thing, that is what I expected (a drop in price with State Farm). When I talked to them, since my good student discount would be going away (stops at 25) and being replaced by the drop in price at 25, it was only a $10-15 difference... Sad, but true. I basically lost a discount and gained one at about equal costs.

I am going to call State Farm tomorrow and see what they say.

Don't be surprised when you call them if they tell you too bad, their rate is their rate. I did that with Travelers and that's what they did. So in a few weeks I'm switching to Liberty Mutual (once a non-at fault goes off my record from 2008 that would raise my rate $100 for the next year if I were to switch sooner).

^^ I figure they will tell me nothing they can do. But mostly just to confirm what my new premium will be now that I am 25... But I believe it is $460.

If I can go to Geico and get comparable service and protection, AND save around $375 a year... That is tempting...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Doesnt one have a say in terms of what shop is used, and what parts are used? I thought that the person getting repairs done had a lot of say.

If I were hit by someone who has geico (and was at fault), would they only give me aftermarket junk, even if I were insured by State Farm?

Fortunately Ive never had to go through this to know...

YES, you do have a say in what parts go on your vehicle and where you can have it fixed. Don't any of you ever forget that. Its YOUR car. You do have rights, and never let them "steer" you to a shop that they prefer. Thats illegal and they shouldn't be doing that.
The majority of people think that insurance companies will take good care of you (you're in good hands). So the majority of people never think about it till they get into a wreck. Or they pick up their vehicle and something just doesn't fit quite right. Only to find out that parts from Taiwan or a junkyard were used in the repair.
Before the market collapse a few years ago the insurance companies were raking in hundreds of billions in profits. Now they are only making tens of billions. They've tightened their belts and the collision industries belts in the process. They are working harder then ever to put on a super glossy appearance, yet behind the scenes are working equally as hard at bending over the consumer and the repairer. Trust me when I tell you its a very bitter battle between the two. They are going so far as to tell the repair shop where they can and cannot buy parts from because they may have a special deal with a vendor 100 miles away. Yet your local Ford or GM dealer may have them in stock, and not be a vendor that sold their soul to the Ins. company. Its truly becoming absurd.

Pay NO attention to this.^^^..in Ohio by law you are allowed to choose what body shop does your repair and the insurance company has to pay. Just use one that only uses OEM parts. I use Bedford Collision as they are an authorized Toyota repair shop. They use 100% Toyota parts.

Last edited:
I have NJM here in NJ for my house and cars and never have problems they are very hard to get into... their prices and ratings are great.. everytime someone calls trying to sell me insurance i say i have njm and they politly say thank you and hang up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back