What bike (s) do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8382335334_1731904ac6_z.jpg

2008 Giant Trance X with custom powdercoated suspension linkages

6831004414_945f4a51ff_z.jpg

2011 Felt ZW75

My last serious road bike was a Holdsworth frame I assembled myself. Weinmann concaves, Huret Derailleurs, and a whole lot of alloy parts collected over the years. It was one fast road bike but it was like a 70s Corvette: it rode like a rock and took constant attention to ride well.

Today, its a Giant Rincon CS with a re-geared crankset. I lost 5 mph but it is sooooo much easier to ride: more comfortable, softer ride, more forgiving handling.

I learned that I ride to an exertion level. I get the same exercise from the Giant but it's at a slower pace.

I remember some of those Holdsworths had some VERY elaborate/ornate lugs, no??

Didn't they also have a 'touring frame' model with heavily curved, sweeping seat stays, supposedly for a more 'cushy' ride?

My very first real road bike was a powder blue 531 Falcon with Weinmann rims built on Campy record HIGH flanges!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I remember some of those Holdsworths had some VERY elaborate/ornate lugs, no??

Didn't they also have a 'touring frame' model with heavily curved, sweeping seat stays, supposedly for a more 'cushy' ride?

My very first real road bike was a powder blue 531 Falcon with Weinmann rims built on Campy record HIGH flanges!

Mine was a straight up touring frame, made from Reynolds 531 tubing. The lugs were really well designed so there weren't stress risers in the tubing after brazing.

There was absolutely no danger of a cushy ride. Of course, 105 psi in the tires didn't help much. We used to joke that you could run over a dime and tell heads or tails right through the handlebars :)

My current fleet - all regularly ridden:

1) Seven Axiom Ti, full custom frame, 65CM c-t-c, full Campy Record Ergo 10-speed carbon fiber, Wound-Up fork, Campy Eurus wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp carbon fiber cages/Al bars, Speedplay pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
2) Saso, full custom frame, 64CM c-t-c, Tange Prestige/Ultimate tubeset, fillet brazed (a work of art - pure perfection), full Campy Record Ergo 9-speed, Wound-Up fork, DT Swiss RR1850 wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp Al bars, Chris King Ti cages, Speedplay pedals
3) Litespeed Owl Hollow 6/4 Ti, Rockshox XC fork, full Shimano XTR 9-speed, Mavic ceramic rims, Thomson Elite post/stem, Ritchey WCS Al bar, Chris King Ti cages, Time pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
4) Cannondale 6061-T6 Al tandem, full Campy Veloce Ergo 9-speed, Sugino crankset, Phil Wood hubs/BBs, Mavic 36/40 hole rims, Thomson Elite stem/posts, Rockshox stoker post, Ritchey WCS AL bars, Speedplay/Look pedals
5) Spares = complete Campy Eurus wheelset (road), complete Shimano XTR/Mavic wheelset (mtn), three BNIB Wound-Up forks, one barely used Serotta F1 fork (an absolutely legendary piece!!), half dozen BNIB Campy Record Ti cassettes, half dozen BNIB Campy Record chains (road), several BNIB Wippermann stainless steel chains (mtn), one BNIB Campy Record Al crankset, three BNIB road posts (Zipp, Thomson, Shimano Dura-Ace), three sets of BNIB Speedplay pedal sets, 5 or 6 BNIB Continental 700x25c Grand Prix tires, one dozen spare tubes, 5 or 6 barely used saddles, organized baggies full of miscellaneous fasteners/hardware, several barely used road and mountain bars....

Yeah, yeah....I know I'm not well.... :)

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

1) Seven Axiom Ti, full custom frame, 65CM c-t-c, full Campy Record Ergo 10-speed carbon fiber, Wound-Up fork, Campy Eurus wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp carbon fiber cages/Al bars, Speedplay pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
2) Saso, full custom frame, 64CM c-t-c, Tange Prestige/Ultimate tubeset, fillet brazed (a work of art - pure perfection), full Campy Record Ergo 9-speed, Wound-Up fork, DT Swiss RR1850 wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp Al bars, Chris King Ti cages, Speedplay pedals
3) Litespeed Owl Hollow 6/4 Ti, Rockshox XC fork, full Shimano XTR 9-speed, Mavic ceramic rims, Thomson Elite post/stem, Ritchey WCS Al bar, Chris King Ti cages, Time pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
4) Cannondale 6061-T6 Al tandem, full Campy Veloce Ergo 9-speed, Sugino crankset, Phil Wood hubs/BBs, Mavic 36/40 hole rims, Thomson Elite stem/posts, Rockshox stoker post, Ritchey WCS AL bars, Speedplay/Look pedals
5) Spares = complete Campy Eurus wheelset (road), complete Shimano XTR/Mavic wheelset (mtn), three BNIB Wound-Up forks, one barely used Serotta F1 fork (an absolutely legendary piece!!), half dozen BNIB Campy Record Ti cassettes, half dozen BNIB Campy Record chains (road), several BNIB Wippermann stainless steel chains (mtn), one BNIB Campy Record Al crankset, three BNIB road posts (Zipp, Thomson, Shimano Dura-Ace), three sets of BNIB Speedplay pedal sets, 5 or 6 BNIB Continental 700x25c Grand Prix tires, one dozen spare tubes, 5 or 6 barely used saddles, organized baggies full of miscellaneous fasteners/hardware, several barely used road and mountain bars....

Scott

Impressive!

Which shoes do you use for the Speedplay pedals??

Sadly, (and amazing, considering how many top Pro tour, and Elite U.S. Pro teams ride Speedplay currently) not too many shoe manufacturers make a Speedplay specific bolt pattern shoe/sole.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I am thinking of getting the DMTs, if I can find my size, or just giving in and using the adapters with Bonts, since the stack height would not be very much given how paper thin their soles are.
wink.gif
(Sidis NEVER fit my feet/toes correctly.)

Scott

Impressive!

Which shoes do you use for the Speedplay pedals??

Sadly, (and amazing, considering how many top Pro tour, and Elite U.S. Pro teams ride Speedplay currently) not too many shoe manufacturers make a Speedplay specific bolt pattern shoe/sole.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I am thinking of getting the DMTs, if I can find my size, or just giving in and using the adapters with Bonts, since the stack height would not be very much given how paper thin their soles are.
wink.gif
(Sidis NEVER fit my feet/toes correctly.)

Daily, thank you. All my bikes are pampered to the extreme. All but the tandem are parked inside the house. I lick the Seven and Saso off after each ride. Chains on all lubed before each ride using T9 Boeshield. Given my size and power, and all the climbing I do, I kill chains after just 1,500 miles or so. I usually ride about 4,000 to 7,000 miles a year, depending on what household projects have going on (I'm retired).

I ride Sidi "Megas" for both road and mountain. Size 49! My wife married me 'cause I'm big! ;-)

Why don't the Sidi's fit your feet? Perhaps the Megas will help....? They have a much wider toe box.

Scott

PS Thinking about adding another road bike to the fleet. A Moots Vamoots, or possibly a Calfee Dragonfly. It'll probably be the Vamoots. The Calfee looks really sexy, but I'm a Ti guy.

I'm down to just a 2001 vintage, Sommerville, Mass. (one of the LAST from there, before they were sold to LiteSpeed) built Merlin Road, with all Campy Record (also 2001 vintage, except that I upgraded to ~2010 Record Carbon compact cranks), Kestrel carbon bars, Easton carbon seatpost, S.I. Flite TT saddle, and a Reynolds carbon fork with Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels.

Like Doug, I've had many road (and track) racing bikes in the past (from a racing career I started back when I was 13 in 1970).

But, unlike Doug (sadly enough), I did NOT hold onto my old, vintage rides.
frown.gif

DD, just noticed your earlier post. Nice! You know the Seven brand was started by some Merlin exiles when Merlin was sold? Rob Vandermark was the guy who left Merlin and started Seven. Seriously, a nicely kept Merlin turns my head every time. Sexy.

Scott

I'm down to just a 2001 vintage, Sommerville, Mass. (one of the LAST from there, before they were sold to LiteSpeed) built Merlin Road, with all Campy Record (also 2001 vintage, except that I upgraded to ~2010 Record Carbon compact cranks), Kestrel carbon bars, Easton carbon seatpost, S.I. Flite TT saddle, and a Reynolds carbon fork with Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels.

Like Doug, I've had many road (and track) racing bikes in the past (from a racing career I started back when I was 13 in 1970).

But, unlike Doug (sadly enough), I did NOT hold onto my old, vintage rides.
frown.gif

DD, just noticed your earlier post. Nice! You know the Seven brand was started by some Merlin exiles when Merlin was sold? Rob Vandermark was the guy who left Merlin and started Seven. Seriously, a nicely kept Merlin turns my head every time. Sexy.

Scott

Yes, I do know that about Seven Cycles, as well as that they are one of the VERY few domestic builders doing their OWN carbon fiber lay-ups vs. going to Taiwan, or mainland China (so you KNOW where I'm going when I have the coin to go to a cf/kevlar composite frameset!
wink.gif
)

I ride Sidi "Megas" for both road and mountain. Size 49! My wife married me 'cause I'm big! ;-)

Why don't the Sidi's fit your feet? Perhaps the Megas will help....? They have a much wider toe box.

Scott

PS Thinking about adding another road bike to the fleet. A Moots Vamoots, or possibly a Calfee Dragonfly. It'll probably be the Vamoots. The Calfee looks really sexy, but I'm a Ti guy.

It is less the width of the shoe/toe box than the height of said toe box.
My feet are average to narrow width (they are 'swimming' in Megas), but for some reason very thick in height, so Sidis (and others) tend to crush my toes/cause blisters and abrasions.

I ride a 45.5 to 47/48, depending on manufacturers' sizing, so I also have a hard time finding my size in ANYTHING.

I am currently using an older pair of Carnacs, which I bought specifically because of their high, comfy, toe box, without being too wide.

But these are wearing out (Sinclair stopped bringing this brand into the country a LONG time ago), the stack height with the requisite Speedplay adapter makes me feel as though I'm a foot off of the pedals, and ONE of these shoes weighs TWICE what a PAIR of modern, carbon fiber compsite soled shoes does!
frown.gif
crazy2.gif

I may just go back and try on the Sidi Wires (the ONLY current Sidis with a Speedplay specific sole) once more to see if I can 'live' with the discomfort.

BTW; is Calfee one of the scarce other U.S. frame builders doing their very own carbon fiber lay-ups???

Scott

It is less the width of the shoe/toe box than the height of said toe box.
My feet are average to narrow width (they are 'swimming' in Megas), but for some reason very thick in height, so Sidis (and others) tend to crush my toes/cause blisters and abrasions.

I ride a 45.5 to 47/48, depending on manufacturers' sizing, so I also have a hard time finding my size in ANYTHING.

I am currently using an older pair of Carnacs, which I bought specifically because of their high, comfy, toe box, without being too wide.

But these are wearing out (Sinclair stopped bringing this brand into the country a LONG time ago), the stack height with the requisite Speedplay adapter makes me feel as though I'm a foot off of the pedals, and ONE of these shoes weighs TWICE what a PAIR of modern, carbon fiber compsite soled shoes does!
frown.gif
crazy2.gif

I may just go back and try on the Sidi Wires (the ONLY current Sidis with a Speedplay specific sole) once more to see if I can 'live' with the discomfort.

BTW; is Calfee one of the scarce other U.S. frame builders doing their very own carbon fiber lay-ups???

DD, I used to ride Carnacs. They did have a tall toe box, it just wasn't wide enough for me.

The Calfee uses tubes manufactured by Enve. Calfee then joins them with their own carbon fiber wrapped "lugs".

If you are ever in California's Central Coast Wine Country, look me up. We'll figure out a way to get that sexy Merlin of yours out here.

The Pro Peleton would be impressed with the riding we have in this region. The worst part about the region's riding is that it can be isolated. There is virtually no automotive traffic. The road and scenery are outstanding but sometimes you have to plan ahead with respect to water, etc. In fact, some of areas I ride don't even have cell phone coverage. But, the best word to describe the road riding is "idyllic". It's spectacularly gorgeous and peaceful. It truly is.

Scott

Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX
Schwinn Paramount (1994 model last year built in Waterford)
Serotta Columbus SP 1983 year model

My current fleet. I ride mountain bikes for both trail and street use.

Huffy Enduro. The oldest bike I have in my garage, my neighbor gave it to me when they moved out. Not sure what year it was made but probably early 90s, likely made in USA. Very heavy steel frame, feels close to 40 pounds. Its a bit rusty and stuff is old tech. It has 15 speed, the front shifter is not indexed. Bike is a bit small for me since it has 24" tires, I don't really ride it so its more of a spare bike.

Trek 820. My newest addition, it has steel frame but doesn't weigh significantly heavier than a comparable entry level 6061 aluminum frame bike. Pretty good bike for the price.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX
Schwinn Paramount (1994 model last year built in Waterford)
Serotta Columbus SP 1983 year model

^^^NICE!!
thumbsup2.gif

When I started racing as a 14 year old 'intermediate' (the age classes were VERY different back then) in 1970, in Joyzee, there was a club/team out of the Sommerville area called the Somerset Wheelmen, (I believe they are still around, based out of Flemington now) and almost all of them rode Campy equipped Paramounts of that era (531 tubing back then, correct?).

Road - 2012 Scott CR-1 Team, all-Shimano 105 components

MTB - 2011 Specialized Hardrock SportDisc 29 (mixture of entry-level components). Added a Hussefelt handlebar.

Incidentally, the right chain stay on the Hardrock broke at the bottom bracket weld after about a year of riding in Memphis (no rocks, nor any kind of really rough terrain). Specialized replaced frame under warranty, but did not cover labor, which was irritating. Shop charged $50 to swap components over, which they said was giving me a deal.

Interestingly, the original frame was made in China, while the replacement was made in Taiwan (preferable to me). Makes me wonder if they swapped production of these frames to Taiwan due to inconsistent quality.

I love to ride, off-road and on. Especially hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back