Oil change instructions for a Ford Model-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

My family rents a cabin once every few years for a reunion. There, the caretaker for several of the cabins also has a hobby of restoring Model-T Fords. It is great fun. He takes the kids for rides around the loop, and I got to spend a half hour with him trying to understand the planetary gear system used in the Model-T.

Anyway, in the cabin there is a framed poster on the wall that outlines all of the lubrication procedures. Here is the section on engine oil:

Oil motor daily. Oil is added to the engine through the breather pipe at the front of the engine (a metal cap covers it). Down under the car on the fly wheel casing (the reservoir which holds the oil) you will find two pit cocks. Pour oil in slowly until it runs out of the upper cock. Leave the cock open until it stops running then close it. For the best results keep the oil level midway between the two cocks, but under no circumstances should it be allowed to get below the lower cock. About every 750 miles it is advisable to clean out the crankcase by draining off the dirty oil. This is done by removing the plug at the bottom of the crankcase. (This should be done while the engine is warm), after draining, replace the plug and pour in a gallon of kerosene through the breather pipe. Turn the engine over fifteen or twenty times so that the splash from the kerosene will thoroughly cleanse the engine. It is of vital importance that all of the kerosene be removed from the depression in the crankcase. To do this put about a quart of lubricating oil into the motor and turn the engine over several times. Then remove the crankcase plug and drain off the flushing oil, replace the plug and refill with fresh oil. During the winter months use a light weight oil (SAE 10) and during the summer (SAE 30). Graphite should never be used as a lubricant in the engine or the transmission, as it will have a tendency to short circuit the magneto.

Could this be where people got the idea to perform "oil flushes" with Kerosene on modern cars???

Thanks for posting. I understand the early cars could be a chore to maintain. I remember someone telling me they had to remove the heads regularly to scrape out the carbon. While the heads were easier to remove, to have to do it regularly...

I've often thought "I'd like to learn how to start & drive a Model T".

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Thanks for posting. I understand the early cars could be a chore to maintain. I remember someone telling me they had to remove the heads regularly to scrape out the carbon. While the heads were easier to remove, to have to do it regularly...

you start by retarding the timing then cranking it by hand. I'll stick with my 12v starters!

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Seems like I was just reading a thread here the other day about VW DI engines and deposits that makes me think that all the things old are new again!

As for "pit cock" that's exactly as it is written on the document! I was aware that the correct term is petcock. Looking over the whole poster, I think it is "third party", but it's quite detailed. Anyone with a Model-T is probably going to need to lube it one hour for every five spent driving.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Thanks for sharing! I'd like to see an analysis of that 1932 oil.

1912... Yep, I got to ride in a car that is more than 100 years old. I'm thinking of posting some pictures in the photo section, to add to this thread.

Note that 10 wt oil was specified for the winter. Wow!

Originally Posted By: crw

Note that 10 wt oil was specified for the winter. Wow!

And 30 for summer. 10W30 oil requirement if you translate to the modern multiviscosity oils. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as some could be lost in the translation.

Now, those were oils with no additives I assume, right? Hence the flush procedure at every OCI.

Interesting stuff.

The Dodge brothers made the majority of the parts for the Model T, but it wasn't "a Dodge". There were no Dodge cars prior to 1914.

Originally Posted By: 05GMC
A fun fact that not to many people know , any model T made before 1914 is actually , a Dodge

That only applies if you consider all GM's made from around the early 1960s to 1973 to be actually DeLoreans.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back