Dealership wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would a dealership use for waxing up vehicles? Or do they even bother? I am wondering if I should wash my Tundra with Dawn dishsoap and rewax with something before winter, after fixing all the rock chips that is. Our Camry got whatever finish stuff they push with new cars, which I suspect might be gone after two years.

I would ask. A few of my local dealerships advertise that they use Meguiar's, and I've seen the big commercial-sized jugs of it in the service area.

Yes, wash with Dawn then try some of this on it:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3705

For such a large vehicle that would be the perfect solution between easy to use and protection. Most of the detail depts at the dealerships are hacks. Think min. wage using dirty rags dropped on the floor. Racing against the clock to get the car out of there as quickly as possible. Some are paid per car and not per hour.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Most of the detail depts at the dealerships are hacks.

I don't think that's a fair generalization. The guys at my local BMW dealer have excellent buffers and I've seen their lineup of products on the handcarts. They are definitely not doing lousy work.

The Audi dealer I used in the past was also good in that regard.

Quote:
For such a large vehicle that would be the perfect solution between easy to use and protection. Most of the detail depts at the dealerships are hacks. Think min. wage using dirty rags dropped on the floor. Racing against the clock to get the car out of there as quickly as possible. Some are paid per car and not per hour.

I have to agree dealers do about the worst job when it comes to waxing cars. And are definitely not to be looked for for detailing advice.

No dealer applied anything will last two years. If you want to restore a decent finish to your paint, just wash it clay it and wax with a decent cleaner wax like Meguiars NXT. It's pretty fool proof and will look really good but won't last too long.

If you want to up the durability and make it look really good you have to machine polish before you wax and use a long lasting wax like Collinite.

Last edited:
In Montreal if you are an awesome detailer you have a solid career.

All I can say is if you have 2 hours on a weekend you'll be very happy with Meguires products.

Heck, I'm blown away with 3$ Turtle cream wax.

The key is to do it regularly so you don't get tired of your car by letting it look like a beater.

I tend not to wash vehicles on a regular basis. Am working on that, now that I am up to two nice vehicles in the yard. Mostly trying to get to the point of making vehicles last longer; I figure, if I wax it perhaps it will help stave off rust from rock chips a pinch longer.

Problem is, from like Nov to April, or thereabouts, it's really not all that nice to wash up a car. I usually don't care that much about looks, so it generally doesn't bother me.

I would go with a long-life sealant such as Menzerna Power Lock, Blackfire Wet Diamond or Collinite 845 after a proper clay or de-contamination with one of the reusable products.

As an alternative, you can try OptiCoat 2.0 or one of those coatings...but they are not for the beginner.

Dealerships use a variety of stuff, but mostly lower-end products. One dealership used Automagic's banana wax, and another dealership that I frequented used P&S velocity glaze.

Originally Posted By: supton
I tend not to wash vehicles on a regular basis. Am working on that, now that I am up to two nice vehicles in the yard. Mostly trying to get to the point of making vehicles last longer; I figure, if I wax it perhaps it will help stave off rust from rock chips a pinch longer.

Problem is, from like Nov to April, or thereabouts, it's really not all that nice to wash up a car. I usually don't care that much about looks, so it generally doesn't bother me.

Wax in warm weather, CarWell in cold.

Carwell is a rust inhibitor--do you just spray it on the paint? I'd think you'd have to hose off the salt first, just the same.

Most new car dealers east of the Mississippi and many used car places use First Place Finishes products.

http://www.metrotechauto.com/images/metrotech/msds/ConsumerOrderForm.pdf

This is what you get (maybe) if you're crazy enough to fall for the $895 interior/exterior "protection" group.

I use the Car Wash Concentrate, Aerosol Odor Eliminator and Leather Conditioner. Actually quite good products and reasonably priced.

Well I have to admit, the dealerships in the city I live, and all the surrounding cities, are probably the worst car washers ever, I say car washers because it would be a disservice to label them "detailers". They almost all use P&S products here because they can get them delivered by the P&S truck, buy them cheap and in bulk, plus most of the time they don't even know anything about the waxes/sealants or trim products they are using.

Although I service all our vehicles, I would never let the local dealerships give out that "free" wash with a service, no way.

Yes, wash with Dawn then try some of this on it:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3705

I wrote that article nine years ago. If that product doesn't exceed your expectations I'll buy the remainder from you, I kid you not. THAT'S how good it is. Go to the website (http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/) see the video at the bottom of the opening page and order the combo pack. Thanks Satinsilver for bringing it up.

Most dealers buy products off of a truck made for IN & OUT make ready departments. Quality is not the first thought out of the bag.

I have ordered this product two or three times. Every time, I tell myself that I am going to find another equivalent/better product but so far, I have not. The color of the product and the overspray drives me nuts but nothing else beats the ease and the versatility of this product. It is simply amazing how you can apply it to dirty car without harming the finish. I have to thank Rick for pointing me to this product.

The color is intentional so you can see if you missed any after wiping it down. As far as overspray goes, when in a tight area spray it on the towel instead of the surface. The towel is saturated with product and sometimes you can use it alone without using more WP. Don't spray into areas where it will be a bugger to remove. Thanks for the kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back