Bosch Premium oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman: Oh, I didn't know there are 2 types of Bosch oil filters. The ones I've seen here in Bowmanville were 6 to 8 dollars or so, depending on the model, but if they're not the ones your after then its a moot point.

Changing focus from the Bosch filter, I've recently opened up a new AC Delco filter (PF53C) to have a look at its construction. I have to say that I was quite impressed. It uses metal endcaps on the media, a decently made bypass valve, good glue job on the endcaps/media interface, and what appears to be decent media paper. The price was about the same as a crappy Fram. (approx. $4 at Walmart). I think this is probably one of the best filters on the market for the money here in Canada. I can't imagine the AC not meeting most people's requirements for an oil filter. I don't know if our American friends here on this board can say the same about their AC's, as they may have a different manufacturer of theirs. Our manufacturer here in Canada is Wix I think, which from the testimonials I've heard makes good products.

Are you sure the AC Delco filters up here are made by Wix? I had thought that AC Delco themselves made them? I am pretty sure they are made in Oshawa, ON.

I'll have to email my contact at AC Delco and bug him again!
smile.gif

I thought he had told me that our filters up here were made to identical specs to the US ones though. I had thought that perhaps ours were better, because in the AC Delco catalog at Walmart here it states the AC Delco filters are made with a synthetic media! But my contact at AC Delco told me it's still a 25 micron filter (meaning it's 98-99% efficient at trapping particles that size and larger)

I'm glad to hear that it appears to be a solid construction, it is definitely a good value for the money at just $3.16! (which in US funds works out to only $2.05!)

I would not be surprised to find that GM makes its own filters. Historically, they've made most of their own parts themselves, even friction linings (brakes).

Most industry watchers have complained about this approach as it makes GM's designs very difficult to change because they can't merely source from another vendor. THEY are their own vendor and if they get stuck with sub-standard components, they usually just throw them into the vehicle regardless.
frown.gif

csandste, I'm not surprised. GM has been moving towards more and more outsourcing in the past 15+ years but they still make a great deal of their own stuff.

I thought GM made AC for their own cars and went to outside suppliers for non-GM applications. There was quite a bit of discussion about this on Edmunds about six months ago. Identical application AC filters from Wal-Mart and another source having totally different construction.

Patman: No, I am not absolutely sure that Wix makes AC filters, this is something someone has told me in the past. By looking down inside the AC filter at the bypass valve, it does look like an actual Wix though. I know its not proof positive, but it definitely isn't a Fram.

I live near Oshawa, and I have never heard of an oil filter plant there. The statment "General Motors of Canada, Oshawa" on the side of the filter is probably just a reference to GM's head office in Canada.

You are probably right. I took another look at the filter and it doesn't imply that it's built in Oshawa, just that it's supplied to GM of Oshawa. Hopefully I'll find out on Monday where the filters are made, and by whom, as I'll send off that email to AC Delco right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back