5W30 OK for Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2013 Elantra, it is specd for 5W20. I have a boat load of 5W30 (Synpower). We're about to run out of our free oil changes so I'm going to start doing them on my own soon. Will using the Synpower be a problem?

If you care about warranty then yes its a bad idea. If you dont care then run it all you want. Read the maintenance sction of your manual to be sure of your choice. My nissan says 5w30 no matter what and thats what it gets. I even go as far as removing the oil jug labels and attaching them to the page in my log book with the oil filter box tops and the reciepts at every oil change. The old drain plug washer is even put in the new ones bag and stapled to the same page. Time date and km is included on the page.

The Elantra's manual will tell you that 5w20 and 5w30 are both acceptable. 10w30 is ok if used within a temperature range.

In Europe, Hyundai and Kia spec 30 weight and 40 weight for the same exact motor.

We're a dealer and we use 5w30 semi-synthetic in all Hyundais. Non-Hyundai vehicles are filled with the manufacturer spec oils. GM gets Dexos, European vehicles get the appropriate A3/B4 oils, etc.

5w 30 is fine per the manual. I am going to run 5w 20 in the winter and 5w 30 summer. I have 5w 30 in the sump now. The manual states that thicker viscosity oil ( 5w 30) may be necessary in hot weather.

I've been using Synpower 5w30 SM in a vehicle that specs 5w20 for a while without issue.

However, it is sluggish, even compared to other 5w30 oils. The SN version is even heavier than the SM.

So in your situation, I would consider getting some xW20 (eg PP which has 2 rebates right now making it very cheap) and mixing into subsequent changes if your first oil change with 100% Synpower isn't to your liking.

And even if Synpower is ok, you've got some nice PP xW20 for when your Synpower finishes.

Excellent. I'll double check the manual, and if it says good to go I'll use the Synpower. It is SM. I got a ton of it for under $2.50 a quart a couple years ago. The vehicle is on lease for two more years. We don't plan to keep it beyond the lease.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Excellent. I'll double check the manual, and if it says good to go I'll use the Synpower. It is SM. I got a ton of it for under $2.50 a quart a couple years ago. The vehicle is on lease for two more years. We don't plan to keep it beyond the lease.

You will find it in chapter 8 page 5 of your manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back