Plastic wheel covers making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe one of you guys can help me out with this. Dealing with cheap ole plastic wheel covers for my dodge caravan purchased about 5 months ago or so. On the front I hear a squeaking sound from the covers...more so on the driver side. When I remove them, there is no more noise so I know it’s the covers. I switched the fronts to the back and now the sound went away. Any reason these plastic covers would make this noise? I didn’t think they would be flexing at all just being attached to the wheel.

Zip tie them to the wheel to keep the from moving.
Personally, if it were mine, they would find a new home in a dumpster. They dont do anything for the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Zip tie them to the wheel to keep the from moving.
Personally, if it were mine, they would find a new home in a dumpster. They dont do anything for the vehicle.

+1

I hate wheel covers..i hate the tie wrap look too. When I bought my car they got ripped right off. I than bought a set of decent OZ rims. Personally i prefer the look of steel rims over cheap wheel covers. Theyre cheaply made and fall off. If they bother you just leave them off..or sell them for 10$...lol

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Maybe one of you guys can help me out with this. Dealing with cheap ole plastic wheel covers for my dodge caravan purchased about 5 months ago or so. On the front I hear a squeaking sound from the covers...more so on the driver side. When I remove them, there is no more noise so I know it’s the covers. I switched the fronts to the back and now the sound went away. Any reason these plastic covers would make this noise? I didn’t think they would be flexing at all just being attached to the wheel.

You may not think there is any movement going on - but there is and it's enough to cause squeaking problems. (Had this demonstrated to me by some Ford engineers)

So look at the way they are attached. That should suggest ways to address the issue (Please note, that there are different ways these things are attached so a generic answer isn't possible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back