Remington 700 - 300 blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Shot one of these recently (suppressed) and loved it. I dont have the need/license to own a suppressor, but Id like to get into long-range target shooting.

Thinking of a 700 tactical of some sort. Anyone own one?

Suppressed was awesome. Just a click. Apparently hunters in NZ and elsewhere mainly hunt with these. I dont really care, lack of noise aside, Ive just had my eye on a 700 for a while.

I assume a .223 variant would be the most economical to shoot, but would another variant be a better choice? If so, why?

Thanks!

For long range I would stick to .308 / 7.62 x 51. .300 AAC Blackout was really intended for suppressed CQB style shooting. If you want to impress the neighbors step up to something with a .338 Lapua Magnum, that will let you reach out touch your neighbors the next county over.

If you liked that check out the 700P and 700PSS IIRC it comes in .223, .308, and IIRC 300 Win mag. I have the 700 PSS in .308 and out of the box it is one very accurate weapon. With a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail and the right scope it will shoot 1000 yards all day long. For a nice easy and inexpensive to shoot gun get the .223. If you want to reach out a bit more, shoot competitively at a distance, or hunt the .308 is the way to go of the available calibers in that offering.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
For long range I would stick to .308 / 7.62 x 51. .300 AAC Blackout was really intended for suppressed CQB style shooting. If you want to impress the neighbors step up to something with a .338 Lapua Magnum, that will let you reach out touch your neighbors the next county over.

+1... .308 ammo is plentiful and high quality target ammo is available.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id like to get into long-range target shooting.

Long range target shooting and .300 Blackout don't belong together.

If you are not going to get a suppressor, aim for a more common caliber, .308, .223 etc.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If you are not going to get a suppressor, aim for a more common caliber, .308, .223 etc.

Depending on how far you plan on shooting the .308 is a great start. As I mentioned with a good scope and a 20 MOA rail you'll get to 1000 yards. There are certainly better options for that distance, but for anything out to 500 yards or a little more the .308 is a good choice. Lots of ammo for it, and it is one or the easiest calibers to reload if you ever decide to do that.

There's a reason the .308 is so popular among the world's top police and military sniper units.

Accuracy, reliability and availability. Sure you could go with a .338 Lapua, and spend nearly a hundred dollars for 25 rounds. It doesn't matter if you have a rifle that can "reach the next county over" if you're financially unable to even practice with it.

If you're looking to "start" long distance shooting do yourself a favor and start shooting long distances with what you already possess. Stretching a .223 or heck even a .22LR to it's maximum potential and actually learning what It takes to understand ballistics and how to dial in on a target with cheap ammo is just as relevant at your stage of learning as going out and blowing your wad on a new rifle, scope, etc. Being a successful long-range shooter is 90% practice and technique. I know many guys who get frustrated when they're unable to hit with their brand new shiny rifles and end up selling them because they didn't take the time to build a strong foundation for long range accuracy....don't fall into that trap!

Good Luck!

+1 on the 308 Its been my experience that its one of the most popular distance calibers to start with, Im currently having a pretty good time playing with a single shot .223 Im practicing on milk jugs out to 500Yrds right now and i cant keep the grin off my face.. Distance shooting is where its at !!

And i 100% agree with the above comment about the .22lr I have a .22lr and a .22 mag that are my favorite guns to sit at the 100yrd mark and dial in, My semi auto Marlin with bi-pod and 4x12 scope is a absolute tack-driver and my favorite plinker at that range, My Savage heavy barrell .22mag is just amazing.. you can perform surgery with that thing at 100yrds, Before this years out id like to start stepping the savage out and seeing what i can do with it at longer ranges.. 100% agree that time at the table building a foundation is the key to it.. I shoot weekly and my buddy dont, when we get together its clear that i get to practice more.

Love this topic !

Last edited:
Bloke at work is getting a blackout 700, predominantly to shoot cast, with more accuracy then his 30-30, and .223 range brasss is very cheap.

I've shot a club member's 700 in .223, and it will make five leaf clovers...very impressive.

To start out I'd get a .223. Do you even have access to a range over 100-200 yards. .308 isn't going to offer anything additional at close range punching paper.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Yeah What I wrote implies this but it isn't what I meant. Blackout was awesome suppressed, but doubt I'd want to go through the hoops for a suppressor, nor do I have a need.

It's more that shooting that reinvigorated the bug to get a Remington 700 of some sort...

I started out shooting 22 LR, took it out to 200 yards and got the bug to go further. A buddy took me to a 1000 yard range, I took my .308 Savage. Much to my disappointment I didn't have enough elevation to make 1K yards. I practiced holdover, shot his rifle, and learned real fast about having the proper equipment for the task at hand. The second time out I had the 20 MOA base, and once dialed in it was awesome. I later had a 6.5x284 built for 1K shooting, what a dream that is to shoot. Once you get bitten by the bug it can become real addicting.

John you can't go wrong with a Remington 700!

Yes I was shooting inn AL. As said before, I couldn't care less about a suppressor. The 300 blackout model has a short barrel and muzzle brake, I think I'd go for a 20 or 26" barrel version.

Medically speaking, I wish all my guns were suppressed. My hearing suffered because of the noise exposure, a knee jerk political decision instead of a scientific solution....gee I wonder how that happens....watching too many movies?

Smoky

Well I'd agree, it was nice to hear nothing but a click. I fired with and without suppression. Seems hunters in other countries use them all the time. Oh well, not a battle I have the time to fight. Plugs and muffs will have to do.

Traded for a like new Rem 700 Sendero in 25-06 a few years back. It has a varmint weight 26" barrel and shoots mildly and sub-moa. I like a more vertical grip than the oem HS Prec Sendero stock had, so restocked with an eBay HS Prec PST026 vert grip w/ adj LOP & cheekpiece. And I tweaked the trigger too.

It shoots just as well as a Ruger 77V I had of the same caliber, stolen decades ago, with which I could whittle away a car antenna stuck in the ground inch by inch.

Point being Rem makes one heck of an outa the box rifle, and Ruger did too.

Recently acquired a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. I really like it. First half box of rounds shot at a local indoor from a counter the wrong height in an awkward half squat resting on a bag and was very impressed for the 16.5" barrel.

I'll agree with others that 308 is probably the ideal caliber for what you want. What I have investigated like you re loving the quiet 300aac is that one can use very heavy projectiles (limited by barrel twist) with a pistol/shotgun powder; specifically 13grns of Red Dot for reduced load super-sonic and down to about 4-6 grns for quiet sub 1050fps loads on a par with the 300aac you tried shooting the same projectile.

As the Red Dot is so much bulkier than std rifle powder there's much less chance of double charging a case. There are other safety considerations; eg drilling the primer holes larger, etc.

Just got some 308 Lee collet dies and gonna try the Red Dot at 10grns and 6 grns with some std 150grn JSP's, 110grn JHP and some 100grn plinkers all of which I already had.

BUT, you can peruse it all yourself, see "The Load":

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

PS; The Savage Axis it a great little bargain you could get for 300-ish in 223 or 308. Swappable barrels is something I'll eventually try myself for the possibilities of caliber and twist changes the easy headspacing and locknut system entail.

Those heavy bullets, albeit with rainbow trajectories, buck the wind and quietly still put some mighty impressive energy figures downrange.

The same might apply to CZ's sweet handy little M527 Carbine mini-Mauser in 223, or in 7.62x39 the Russian 30 cal, that might could utilize "The Load" for 300aac-like performance like the 308 can.

IF you go 223 and get a fast enough twist you can lob the heavier high ballistic coefficient 70-90 grain pills for long ranges.

Saw a blackout today with a 180gr cast projectile ready for weekend activities today...(his not mine).

Flash looking bit of gear in a perverse way.

.300 Blackout is an interesting niche cartridge...that fits the bill for "bigger bullet, going slow and fits in an existing AR-15 platform"....

For all around use, a .308 is a better choice for things like hunting, SD, target shooting. It has much better terminal energy, better long range ballistics, greater bullet selection and wider availability.

In a DPMS AP-4 carbine, for example, the .308 still keeps nearly all of its velocity... http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-308762_ep_129-1.html

That's a good handling, accurate rifle with more applications than the narrowly purposed .300 Blackout...but my opinion could be biased by the example in my safe...

Suppression is another topic...and while it detracts from the quick handling of most rifles, I sure would like shooting to be quieter....

Astro, I would love for something like that to be able to be stored in my safe, whether I wanted to put one there or not...alas a Ruger 10-22 is classed as an assault weapon in this country. 2 years in Gaol (Jail), and/or $10k fine for possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back