Coleman Pop Up Tents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-14x10-Foot...ds=pop+up+tents

Anyone have any experience with them? I have read many reviews, some good, some not so good. Many complain quality isnt what it used too be with Coleman company.... whatever that means... Wife's been trying for years too get me into camping, and shes breaking me down finally. I enjoy the outdoors dont get me wrong I am just fair skinned like Conan Obrien and burn easily, then burn again, then continue burning... anyways, thanks for replies in advance.

Nobody has quality like they used to...regardless how people claim that QC is a top priority.When you start with cheap materials you get a cheap product.

Coleman tents are fine if you camp one weekend a year. You might get a few years out of them. If you're like me and camp year round,they last about a year.

Poles break,zippers break,they leak,etc.

I went through numerous Colemans over the last few years. I finally broke down and spent $500 on a Cabelas dome tent. Its 10x the tent a Coleman is.

Those Taj Mahal-like tents are always a disaster. Too much setup time, not resilient in poor weather, and just awkward to share a tent with that many people.

If there will be the two of you, then consider a two or four man backpacking tent. We still have an old Eureka Timberline that is easy to put up. There are plenty of good brands out there to choose from. The Timberline went up in less than five minutes, took up very little cargo room, and the only item we had to replace were the shock cords (in 30+ yrs of sporadic use). Most of your other activities occur outside, and so did our eating (rain/bad weather excepted).

If you haven't done so, go to a good outdoor store and check out some of their floor models, then decide what will suit your camping style..

Don't buy a Coleman tent unless you want to try it for one weekend, curse at it and quit camping. 1) that thing is HUGE - smaller tents are better because you can find a nice flat spot for it easily. Also less hassle to put up. 'Pop up' shouldn't be used to describe your tent. 2) any wind and a huge tent is a flapping mess. 3) many other reasons to go on and on.

This is a much better buy http://www.rei.com/product/829919/rei-hobitat-4-tent-special-buy although REI usually has better deals/choices during their sales a couple times a year.
If you guys don't have much gear, you'll need a lot for a kitchen, etc.

Get out there and enjoy it - plenty of good sunblock or protective clothing now-a-days.
If you have Netflix, watch 'National Parks - America's Best Idea' - that is such a great series and if that doesn't inspire you, you're better off staying home!

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
If there will be the two of you, then consider a two or four man backpacking tent. We still have an old Eureka Timberline that is easy to put up. There are plenty of good brands out there to choose from. The Timberline went up in less than five minutes, took up very little cargo room, and the only item we had to replace were the shock cords (in 30+ yrs of sporadic use). Most of your other activities occur outside, and so did our eating (rain/bad weather excepted).

If you haven't done so, go to a good outdoor store and check out some of their floor models, then decide what will suit your camping style..

Absolutely. I have a great many trips on my Eureka Timberline. That's the tent I recommend for most people. Coleman tents and sleeping bags are junk. They're good for slumber parties and annual camping in the back yard.

http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-4-tent

If you absolutely need a larger family tent, the Sunrise series is decent, although not as rugged as the Timberline.

http://store.eurekatent.com/sunrise-series

+1 for a Timberline, get the vestibule as well, it gives you a place for your boots. I lived in one for 7 weeks tree planting 15 years ago and we just used it for a week again and it's almost like new still.

The best tent I have ever had was a Coleman "Hooligan" the worst tent ever was a Kelty, second worst was a Eureka "Apex two" . The Hooligan is awesome for two people and their wares.
We also have a two man Coleman tent for roadside camping, again really good luck , it is their Maxx line with aluminum poles. I feel the poles are the Maxx part! Regardless the Hooligan is great, we got poured one, winded on and never Maytagged. We mostly car camp now or forgo the tent all together and camp in the grass, for car camping the Coleman is all you need, in my opinion. All zippers are fragile, just make sure you keep them taught when operating them.
I have camped every other weekend for many years.

Forgot to mention that I am an Eagle Scout and have set up a TON of tents in my lifetime. I own an old Remington tent, FWIW.

Just got back from 4 days at Garner state park. We used a Timber Creek Tellico II from Academy that I picked up for $25. The materials used are extremely cheap and it felt kind of fragile. I wouldn't recommend it for the avid camper but it was ok for the days we were out there. I've had a Eureka and it was perfect, unfortunately I lost it to mildew.

Oh and the key to sunblock is to reapply throughout the day.

Garner State Park? You just took me back more than 40 years! About 1970 we shared a deer lease with some friends who had once lived in Leakey. It was just on the west side of the main highway(83?)& barely north of where the FM/entrance road intersects that main highway. I hunted mostly on the west side of the hills, away from the highway. But when I reached the top of the saddle between two hills on my way to hunt or back to the cabin, I could easily see the entrance to Garner State Park.
thumbsup2.gif

Got a buck on that lease too- one shot from the .270.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JANDSZIRKLE
Wife's been trying for years too get me into camping, and shes breaking me down finally. I enjoy the outdoors dont get me wrong I am just fair skinned like Conan Obrien and burn easily, then burn again, then continue burning... anyways, thanks for replies in advance.

Albeit this is backpacking, but hopefully still inspirational:

302118_10150284779215636_2042063_n.jpg

Get out there!

And I'll second the "National Parks - America's Greatest Idea" for everyone. Awesome, awesome series and inspirational.

Having "camped out" in the jungle while trying to stay dry and being soaked to my shorts; I swore I'd make roughing it doing without room service.
I broke that vow once while hiking and was caught in a desert thunderstorm in a tent that died and again was soaked to my shorts, I burnt the thing right there in a sacrifice to the breaking of my word.
YMMV

Lots of great input! thanks all. Looking too invest some money into it, so will definitely take the much needed advice. I like the outdoors, wife just has a hard time getting me out in the hot summer days. Sunblock is definitely a must have for sure. Thanks folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back