TRD Oil Filters.....What do you know about them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking of using a TRD oil filter for the next oil change on my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 6spd. I don't know much about the TRD filters and searching seems to yield nothing. So has anyone ever used the TRD oil filters? Are they of good qulaity? Who makes the TRD filters? Are they a clonce of another filter? Are they a truly high end oil filter?

Thanks,
Zack

1. Toyota info: http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/parts_catalog/filters_intakes/trd_oilfilter_technology.html

2. A review I found on-line: http://www.tunemytoyota.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7343

They are manufactured by Frampion (Champ Labs). They are made with the microglass media that is currently used in the Royal Purple/Amsoil line that Champ also produces. Great filters with excellent cold flow properties. They even have the K&N nut on the bottom. Silicone AD valve as well. They are very high quality filters.

Any idea as to where the best place to buy the filters is? My local dealer does not sell TRD parts. Is amazon a good place to buy these filters from?

Thank you,
Zack

If Amazon is the seller then they usually have lower price, but if a seller is a third party selling their parts in Amazon Market Place then shipping will usually kill the deal.

TRD filters are good filters, but you can easily get filters every bit as good for less cost.

You don't mention your O/FCI plan, but if you intend to extend, then consider the WixXP, Napa Plat, BoschD+ or LL, Puro Syn or P1, Fram Ultra or TG, etc. Many of these can be had for less cost and will do every bit as well as the TRD filter. If you don't plan any extension past "normal" use, then any "normal" filter will do a fine job and your engine will never know the difference.

Once you determine a minimum necessity of threshold for filtration (the OEM has already done this for you), then cost and ease of attainment should be your next concerns.

Last edited:
Way over priced. You've got a thirteen year old car run any quality filter. I've ran Mobil for awhile and my next change I may use purlator synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Way over priced. You've got a thirteen year old car run any quality filter. I've ran Mobil for awhile and my next change I may use purlator synthetic.

Well the car is a garage queen, It only has 26,000 miles on it thus far. It only gets driven a 1,000 miles or so a year these days, so it gets only one oil/filter change per year. I figured a TRD filter would be good since its only once a year.

Zack

I've gotten a few on eBay in the past, but only when they are selling for a reasonable price. IMHO the "normal" price is way too high and Mobil 1 filters are comparable in quality for less money (and easier to find).

Originally Posted By: Zack1978
Any idea as to where the best place to buy the filters is? My local dealer does not sell TRD parts. Is amazon a good place to buy these filters from?

Thank you,
Zack

Originally Posted By: Zack1978

Thank you,
Zack

I buy all my TRD parts/filters from these folks: Toyota of Dallas

Great service and fast shipping.

As others have said, the TRD filters are top of the line.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
Have heard that the TRD is a rebadged Mobil 1 and K&N as they are all made by Champion.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
Have heard on several boards that the Toyota TRD is the same as the Mobil 1 and the K&N as all are made by Champion..

It is true that TRD, Mobil, K&N, LuberFiner, Champ, Mopar, Kleener, Imperial XL, Ecore, STP, MXM, Petro Clear, Deutch, Volkswagen, Royal Purple, Service Champ and PurePro are all made by Champion Labs/Fram (see here: Champion Labs ), it is not reasonable to assume they are all made to the same specifications or even with the same materials.

thumbsup2.gif

Toll manufacturers like Champion Labs/Fram make filters to different customer specifications. Just because the filters are made in the same place does not mean they are made to the same specs or even use the same materials.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back