Huge blob of fat found in UK sewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge blob of fat found in UK sewer
628x471.jpg

YUMMY!!!!

Quote:
a 15-ton blob of congealed fat and baby wipes the size of a bus, which was lodged inside a London sewer drain.

Read the article; the baby wipes flushability is controversial depending on whom you ask.

Oh yes. Baby wipes = profit for the plumber.

Saw a show recently where there are still UK sewer workers who's only job is to walk the system with shovels to keep things moving along.

I don't think it's been that many years since London began treating their waste water. For ~100yrs+, it gravity fed to a giant reservoir that emptied with the tide. Mmm..mmmm good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Its been awhile as my daughters are over 30, but I did not think you flushed baby wipes down the toilet?

?

Indeed. I thought the only paper product you were supposed to flush down the sewer was toilet paper, because it is designed to fall apart when it hits water. This applies to both septic system and city sewer systems.

I'm guessing that this is in an area that occasionally stops or at least slows considerably. Once you get something adhering to the pipe, other stuff tends to glom on. The smell of rancid fat that has been in water is indescribable. If you're ever near a truck pumping out a grease trap from a restaurant, you won't forget it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Oh yes. Baby wipes = profit for the plumber.

Saw a show recently where there are still UK sewer workers who's only job is to walk the system with shovels to keep things moving along.

I don't think it's been that many years since London began treating their waste water. For ~100yrs+, it gravity fed to a giant reservoir that emptied with the tide. Mmm..mmmm good.

Not quite right.

You would probably be interested in this BBC production on the creation of the "modern" London sewer system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTyoH9W8VQ

Baby wipes are not flushable. I just cut a
Long length of my sewer pipe, and found three wipes, that my wife and I flushed as an "experiment" about two weeks earlier, still in the home drain pipe. While the pipe flowed well and did not show any clogs of any sort, it was clear that wipes do not flush well.

First band experience from my own sewer pile that I just cut.

4C7E6264-A332-403A-BC37-2B73AC5FAAB2-2933-000002869C7AF085_zps106e86f3.jpg

The UK sewer is so old that the fat is probably the only thing that keeps it in one piece.
A friend that lives in London either:

a-has his backyard flooded by the main water pipe that burst
b-has no running water since the pipe broke in some other place

It's hilarious when you think what he payed for the [censored] house
smile.gif

Just a clarification, regular baby wipes are not flushable. However, a few companies do make flushable baby wipes.

Flushable Wipes

Last edited:
That happens because restaurants don't have grease traps.

Fast food places like McDonald's are the worst offenders.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That happens because restaurants don't have grease traps.

Fast food places like McDonald's are the worst offenders.

When I worked at McDonalds we used grease traps on everything. The frier, grills and ovens had grease traps that had to be emptied into a weird container thing, then hauled outside and dumped in a specialized dumpster.

Yeah well yours was new. In old cities like mine they really were not mandated until the 70's so...lots of places don't have them.

London doesn't either apparently. This happens in a lot in sewer systems just not always on this scale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andy636
The UK sewer is so old that the fat is probably the only thing that keeps it in one piece.
A friend that lives in London either:

a-has his backyard flooded by the main water pipe that burst
b-has no running water since the pipe broke in some other place

It's hilarious when you think what he payed for the [censored] house
smile.gif

The London sewer system runs East parallel to the river Thames until it reaches Crossness where the sewage WAS pumped into the Thames estuary with the outgoing tide
Because the sewer at that point is below the level of the River, it needs to be pumped UP the river level.
This was the old pumping station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16tF9rgOR-8

Hard to believe these fantastic machines were still in use when I was born!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back