High Mileage Oil in a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking, if high mileage oil conditions seals and has better wear protection and a few other things dino oil does not. Why not put it in a new car as long as the oil still meets the warranty requirements for the vehicle. I see only good benefits from this; just my thoughts, would like to hear yours as well.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Wouldn't a HM oil take longer to lay down an anti wear barrier and therefore wear more in a new engine?

???

Maxlife can be used in new vehicles, and also "conditions" seals not swells them both according to Valvoline. Not sure why you would want to though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Maxlife can be used in new vehicles, and also "conditions" seals not swells them both according to Valvoline. Not sure why you would want to though.

Maxlife 5W30 also exceeds dexos 1 specs, that's what got me thinking about putting it in a new car.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Wouldn't a HM oil take longer to lay down an anti wear barrier and therefore wear more in a new engine?

Errrr... what? As Wikipedia would say, Citation Needed.

Keep in mind several of the higher-end HM oils (M1, Synpower for example) are rated SL so would likely not meet new car oil specs. And asTig1 notes, there's really no reason to go to an HM oil: the seals don't need conditioning, there shouldn't be an oil consumption problem and there's no accumulated engine gunk to get rid of. Now after the car is a decade old and has 100k miles a switch could be a good idea even if there are no problems.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I wouldn't use a HM oil in a new engine. There is no reason to do so.

Exactly.
You could use Maxlife with its API SN rating, but why?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Been using ML 5W20 red bottle in the '12 4.6 powered company van, haven't had any problems with it.

Nor should you expect any.

Is 75k still considered high mileage as a rule of thumb?
If so does 70k fall in "low mileage"?

If new, very low mileage, seals should be in fine shape and not need the adds of a HM oil which generally coast a little more than a conventional - I'd think.
And does the addition of adds for the seals take anything away regards to the other adds (for non HM oils).
Don't know about the barrier/layer part (moly/ZDDP) on HM oils as I have looked at their VOAs and have never used them.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Is 75k still considered high mileage as a rule of thumb?
If so does 70k fall in "low mileage"?

If new, very low mileage, seals should be in fine shape and not need the adds of a HM oil which generally coast a little more than a conventional - I'd think.
And does the addition of adds for the seals take anything away regards to the other adds (for non HM oils).
Don't know about the barrier/layer part (moly/ZDDP) on HM oils as I have looked at their VOAs and have never used them.

High mileage is essentially defined by the oil companies as out of warranty. In the past to save some money some HM oils were not even certified. I do not know if this is still true. I have noticed that Mobile 1 HM oil’s were recently certified with just about every spec in the world.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: tig1
I wouldn't use a HM oil in a new engine. There is no reason to do so.

Exactly.
You could use Maxlife with its API SN rating, but why?

My thinking was if one is already using a synthetic blend, why not get a blend at the same price with a better add pack. (Ex. Durablend to Maxlife)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back