Boric Acid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.es.anl.gov/Energy_systems/publications/fact%20sheets/Nanomaterials%20and%20Processes/Nano-boric%20acid%20makes%20motor%20oil%20more%20slippery%20(N8).pdf
Boric acid in engine oil? A quick google says it works, and youtube has several videos covering concoctions and potions for fuel and oil. And I thought it was bug killer!

I'm confused by that article.

"Borax" is a cleaning agent.....

"Boric Acid" is a roach killer/powder....

And then the article mentions about Boric Acid being in a medicine cabinet....huh?

Last I heard, the govt actually "banned" the use of Borax/Boric Acid for "food" and "medicine" use.....

Unless that's just one of the FDA's "cover ups" - oh they'll fill our prescriptions with them, but they don't want US using them in that way
wink.gif

I actually read some where that boric acid in a certain concentration is used in eye irrigation stations and to sterilize equipment. I mostly use it for roaches and ants.

I use it to kill the stink in my shoes. Man that stuff is versatile. I would be very leery of mixing any "concoctions" for engine use. I will leave that up to the chemists at the oil CO's. Fellow BITOG member Molekule has written some stuff on the different Borates.

There have been discussions on some proboards that have gone viral. One in particular is the topic of using boric acid in your oil. I will be posting my results here. It does work if done correctly.

From what I've been reading only Humco Boric Acid Powder NF. It is the finest powder. Most posts say to shake 2 teaspoons into 750ml of oil, WRONG. This just puts the BA in suspension which will fall out when you stop shaking
I use Castrol Tection Extra SAE 15W-40. This is a great heavy duty oil that will stand up to the heat.
Using a kitchen blender, start the blender, add the BA and 1 teaspoon of water. Keep the blender going until the oil gets to a temperature of 200° F. I use a long stem BBQ thermometer in the oil while I'm blending. Once it gets to 200° F, turn the blender off and let the oil cool. At this point it looks like the original oil, and not milky as it would shaken. The BA is now combined with the oil.
Once it's cool, pour it back into an empty oil bottle and label "BA-200". I'm getting ready to make a couple more batches..

My wife and I got 2 Roketa MC75-150 scooters last year. Since then I have been making small changes. Here is the final result that gives us a great ride. I added an electric fuel pump (My gasket) I'm running 3 - 14 and 3 - 16 gram weights. The belt is standard. I've been running oil with boric acid for 2000 KMs. I have removed the stock air filter, added a K&N filter using PVC to make an adapter from the original tube and the filter. I use a PVC reducer to restrict the airflow.

Now at 50 MPh or around 7000 RPM the engine slows down dropping 1000 to 1500 RPM while the speed increases. I have been able to hit speeds of 70 MPH without over revving. It cruses great at 50 - 55 MPH.

My wife's has only been doing this since I have been using boric acid in her oil.

We did a 75 mile round trip last weekend in the Texas countryside with no problems. It was a great ride.

We are both running Bridgestone 130/70-13 on the rear and Pirelli 130/60-13 on the front.

The scooters ride like we are on a cloud. For detailed info you may contact me. The additional saddlebags and windshield just add to look and ride. Enjoy your ride, they are the best.
www.scooterclub.us

Re:
"Borax" is a cleaning agent.....

"Boric Acid" is a roach killer/powder....

And then the article mentions about Boric Acid being in a medicine cabinet....huh?

Last I heard, the govt actually "banned" the use of Borax/Boric Acid for "food" and "medicine" use.....

answer: Yes Borax is a cleaning agent,used in detergents also used in swimming pools and was once used for meat preservation and a host of other uses.

Boric Acid is sold in drug stores for medicinal(human and veterinary) use.It is found in eye washes ,ear cleansers,foot powders,aftershaves and a variety of ointments etc.Now before some one starts screaming "it's poisonous" It ranks slightly above salt on the poison scale.Yawn,yep real deadly stuff.Old home remedy and pharmacuetical formularies listed compounds containing it.

I use it in homemade aftershaves and hair tonics.It is a mild germicidal etc.Useful stuff.

If it helps in motor oil,wow.I would not use it in my primary vehicle,but experimenting in a scooter like the wiz is cool.A good way to collect data,that could lead to better economy.Maybe i'll add a spoonful to my old lawn mower and see if I notice a difference.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure about exact composition, but most modern oils do have Boron antiwear additives.

Yes, but these are usually nanoparticle boron compounds in esters.

And the amount used depends on the formulation and the specific application so as not to interfere with other additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Not sure about exact composition, but most modern oils do have Boron antiwear additives.

Yes, but these are usually nanoparticle boron compounds in esters.

And the amount used depends on the formulation and the specific application so as not to interfere with other additives.

Not sure if you are trying to agree or disagree or what?

Originally Posted By: daWiz
Reduced friction, quieter engine, more torque.

daWiz,
do you have any longer term update on your BA-200 oil?
Now, those engines have no oil filters, right?

most boron is in the form af boron esters, but in the case of the old oronite borate for gear oil use that was a dispersion of I think sodium borate

Originally Posted By: bruce381
most boron is in the form af boron esters, but in the case of the old oronite borate for gear oil use that was a dispersion of I think sodium borate

WHICH one of these two above is in the Chevron Delo ESI gear oils, or is it yet another form??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: bruce381

WHICH one of these two above is in the Chevron Delo ESI gear oils, or is it yet another form??

The Oronite additve is a Potassium Tri-borate chemistry, but yea, that's a different fofum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back