Weak power steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my '02 CVPI has weak steering assist. It also does not return to center. It starts to, but then I have to bring it back the rest of the way.
This is an improvement over when I bought it, if you read my thread you'll know that I found it was almost completely dead and I had to muscle it though u-turns. The way I fixed it was by putting a 20inHg vacuum on the reservoir, starting the car and cycling the steering lock-to-lock about 10 times.
I also changed the fluid today to Supertech Merc V. In the process I found the intake screen at the bottom of the reservoir was pretty dirty, so I took it off the car, rinsed it with brake cleaner and the dried it with compressed air.
I ended up running 3 quarts of fluid through the system. Now, if you put a flashlight to the reservoir it glows red.
I want to say that helped, but the biggest thing was putting the vacuum on it.

Good news is the steering is tight; I had my brother wiggle the steering wheel while I looked over all the components. I didn't see any loose parts.
It also does not fight me at any point nor is the assist uneven. Its just weak.
Im thinking Im going to have the alignment checked, as that could cause the lack of return to center, I think.
Im also debating putting a pump in it to get the assist back, but I dont want to if it wont fix it.
Any ideas on what else to check? The Ford manual goes through a procedure to check the pump using some tool to check flow and pressure; sounds expensive.

What if you have a rusty, swollen, or otherwise defective ball joint that's still tight?

My guess is the whole system is clogged up. Try some Royal Purple MaxEZ PS fluid and if that doesn't help replace the pump. But I would do 4-5 drain fills with the RP first.

Last edited:
Try as I did, the BAR's LEAKS Power Steering Fix. It works slowly(like 3-4 Months) but, it may swell the seals in the Rack&Pinion. Use the whole bottle(may not help but, won't hurt anything).

The bottle is a 2 part/split bottle. Remove enough ATF from the P/S unit and dump in the whole bottle. It cost between $8-$10 depending on where you buy it...W&M, AAP, AZ etc.

i can't imagine a PS system clogging. they run at over 1200 psi. I can imagine the valve body getting gummed up though! Maybe there's a remedy in a bottle, but I'd be thinking that pulling the valve assy and manually cleaning it would be a good way to go.

If the pump is weak, it may show better steering at higher RPMS unless it's the bypass valve, weak spring in it.

rusted/tight ball joints, mentioned above, excellent catch. Steer it with the wheels up and see how it feels.?

Originally Posted By: meep
i can't imagine a PS system clogging. they run at over 1200 psi. I can imagine the valve body getting gummed up though! Maybe there's a remedy in a bottle, but I'd be thinking that pulling the valve assy and manually cleaning it would be a good way to go.

If the pump is weak, it may show better steering at higher RPMS unless it's the bypass valve, weak spring in it.

rusted/tight ball joints, mentioned above, excellent catch. Steer it with the wheels up and see how it feels.?

Ill check it. It does not seem to vary with RPM which, I agree, did make me think of a weak bypass. Sure does load up when hitting lock though!

Ill have to check the ball joints.

btw, for reference, this is using an old school recirculating ball steering box. Panthers didn't get rack and pinion until 2003.

Last edited:
Tires will make a big difference, too. Proper inflation certainly helps, and there are some tread designs which just seem to feel heavier and "dead" on-center.

I know that seems obvious but sometimes we overlook the simplest things.

IIRC with hondas you can actually unscrew a little service bolt--- like a flush allen head... and the spring and ball for the bypass valve fall in your palm. may pull it and check and see if the spring is in once piece. Folks sometimes boost honda PS pressure by pulling it and adding a small (like 1mm) spacer. Worth a shot, just to see if it makes a difference. if it does, perhaps replace the pump, or that spring if you can find it. IDK if the ford pump are built similar....

Although you cleaned the intake in the resevoir, it may still be restricting from what I have read elsewhere. I have in the past replaced resevoirs for lack of power steering on other models and problem solved. I don't bother trying to clean them, there are screens at the bottom that restrict flow. HTH

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Although you cleaned the intake in the resevoir, it may still be restricting from what I have read elsewhere. I have in the past replaced resevoirs for lack of power steering on other models and problem solved. I don't bother trying to clean them, there are screens at the bottom that restrict flow. HTH

I'd just put a magnefine on the reservoir return and punch a hole in the screen.

If it is your ball joints and your ps is giving all she's got the wheel should be absolute murder to turn with the key off.

If it's like your other crown vic feels with the key off, it's something in the PS.

I think you guys might be on to something here. I went outside just now, and tried to steer it with engine off on our gravel driveway.
It was all I could do to get it to turn.
So I went to my other one, which is rack and pinion but also has 255/45R18 tires on concrete. I moved it the same amount with one arm.
Now, all of the joints in the steering/suspension of the one in question have been replaced. I can tell from the existence of zerks. Except the lower balljoints. So, those ones are probably getting ready to drop the car. I should probably change those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back