Castrol Mercon V or Mag-1 syn: which runs cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP9

Between Castrol Transmax Mercon V and Mag 1 Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF, which one would run cooler in a Ford 5R55E transmission?

Both will run about the same temp.

I would use the Castrol Transmax Mercon V.

I assume you are going to be doing a pan drain and refill?

What Ford vehicle and year?

Last edited:
Yes, for a pan & filter change in a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD. Never done any towing nor do I plan on doing so, but it's not uncommon for the ATF to go over 200 degrees.

I had a flush done a little less than a year ago. Though I haven't had any trans functional issues, my distrustful instincts wonder if they didn't fill it up with regular Dex/Merc or something.

I did a pan/filter change about 3 months ago with some of the Mag-1 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: AP9
Yes, for a pan & filter change in a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD. Never done any towing nor do I plan on doing so, but it's not uncommon for the ATF to go over 200 degrees.

Consider adding a cooler? My trans really doesn't go over 200 even while towing.

I've thought about adding an aux. cooler, but it seems like a PITA. I'd rather do an aftermarket finned aluminum pan with extra capacity, but all the ones I've read about are a bit pricey and have noted the possibility of exhaust interference on Explorers.

The aftermarket pans also have a drain plug that Ford was too stupid to include from the factory.

Both fluids are great, but the Mag 1 costs much less.

The aftermarket pan is a great idea, especially if it increases capacity, cooling, and includes a drain plug. I think you should see if that is in your budget first, and then check on your temps to see if they go down any.

I'd definitely be willing to consider either in order to keep the transmission healthy for as long as possible. But it seems the ATF wouldn't make a noticeable difference in operating temp?
Thanks all for the knowledge.

I don't think it will make any difference, they are similar viscosity so no help there. The pan upgrade has a good chance of giving you a temperature reduction.

Obviously a dedicated cooler will have the biggest impact. Do both upgrades and your all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back