Strange noise from front right of car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently ive noticed a strange sound coming from my car on the front passenger tire side area. When i decellerate it sounds like a turbo...best way i can describe it. Its not exhaust noise. Only hear it once im going over 30mph...especially louder when taking right curves along hwy..left is not as bad. First thought was that its a tire but my tires are new pielli p7's with 3 months on them. Also thought rotor issue but i hear it when accelerating decellerating and braking. Wondering if it could be wheel bearing/ hub related. I might swap front tire with back and change rotors (planning on changing them anyways). Im thinking wheel bearing /hub assembly..anyone else think it might be something else? Hoping someone who had a corolla could chime in on this..(Bill in Utah) Thanks in advance all!

Last edited:
You say it's coming from the front passenger side. You also say it's louder when turning right. If it's louder when you turn right..the bearing on the left (driver side) should be the bad one.

So i lifted the car but dont notice any play in the wheel...so im wondering if its something else?

Something else than what? A bad wheel bearing? That's not going to show up in "play" unless it's really, really bad. If the thing is just starting to go out you won't feel play in the wheel.

IMHO the only way you check it is by pulling the wheel off and also removing the driveshaft from the hub. If it is bad you can feel it with the halfshaft still in the hub but I find that difficult. The FSM shows you using a dial gauge to measure runout at the hub, but once again I have never found that reliable - maybe it's just me. I like to feel how the bearing turns when isolated (disconnected) from everything else.

With the miles on your vehicles it very well could be a bearing. Mine lasted longer but that doesn't mean yours will. It's a pretty common failure, and the symptoms are as you describe them.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
So i lifted the car but dont notice any play in the wheel...so im wondering if its something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back