Rock Auto exchange policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a serpentine belt for the F150 back in June. Didn't get around to putting it on until last week. Guess what? That belt wasn't even close to what it should have been size wise, way to short. So I emailed them and they said basically, sorry....we have a 30 day return policy. Now, I can understand that, but come on.....if you sent me the wrong part, shouldn't that be considered also? I've never got anything from rockauto that wasn't the right part, hence, I didn't think I had to double check it and it's kind of hard to without taking the old belt off. Kind of bent they wouldn't work with me and I've bought lots of stuff from them. Just letting ya'll know, check you parts if you're not going to use them anytime soon.

I bought a set of tires from Tire Rack for my kid while she was away at College. 3 months later she comes home, I have the tires installed and 3 of the 4 are defective. Tire Rack said even though their policy was 30 days they would replace all 4 tires with a new set and pay all of the freight charges both ways. So, not everyone is stuck on that policy.

I ordered a serpentine belt for my F150 through Rock Auto as well and didn't have any problem. I agree with others, check first!

What made you order in the first place? Inexpensive price I am guessing. Part of the low prices is not accepting aged out returns.

That being said maybe a call not expecting anything may surprise.

Don't do a "chargeback" as suggested. That is absolutely obnoxious.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Why is it obnoxious? He did not receive the item(s) ordered and the merchant is unwilling to work with him on it.

Did you receive a differnt part number than you ordered or did you accidentally order the wrong belt? Or is it an error in their catalog?

I rechecked my order on their website and it was correct...2001 F150, 5.4L with AC. Don't know how easier it could have been. This was some sort of factory closeout.....didn't even have a name brand.....I bought that in June, so doing a chargeback probably wouldn't work. But, I'll accept responsibility on my end, but I'd think they would work with me and do something about it since they screwed it up to begin with. So, I had to run down to Napa....42 bucks later plus another belt for something....boy, that's an expensive belt....wonder what I could do with it now?

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
wonder what I could do with it now?

Play tug of war with your dog?

Cut it in half and throw it in your neighbors pool. Then ring their door bell and tell them a water snake is in their pool!!!

Last edited:
Just because all of the options were right does not mean the best is correct. A lot of times on trucks that old I have to get the engineering number off the old belt to make sure I get the right one, even with VIN entered.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I rechecked my order on their website and it was correct...2001 F150, 5.4L with AC. Don't know how easier it could have been. This was some sort of factory closeout.....didn't even have a name brand.....

There's more to it than just the year, make model, engine, sometimes when it comes to belts. Whenever I'm in doubt I double check the RA catalog against the manufacturer's website to see if they match.

The factory closeout may also play a part. They're ultra cheap, but you have to know what you're getting into. I've had pretty good luck with them, but there's a reason they're so cheap. They're often old, sometimes have beat up boxes and may not carry modern/correct part numbers.

The only incorrect part I've ever received from them was a closeout belt. I only paid $2 shipped, since I tossed it into another order. It wasn't even worth calling them about it, in my case.

I got a wrong belt for a jeep liberty 2.4 through advance. Turns out Jeep performed a TSB that eliminated an idler pulley. My belt was way too long.
lol.gif

But I returned it right away and got the right one. Even suggested thru the web interface they should make a note in their catalog. I made a note in sharpie on the inside hood about the correct part number for the next owner.

Rockauto is pretty bare bones. They don't strike me as having a cuddly customer satisfaction policy beyond what they state. However when they pulled and shipped me the wrong brake drums (part number "one off") they were good about sending me the correct part... within the alloted time of course.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: rjundi

Why is it obnoxious? He did not receive the item(s) ordered and the merchant is unwilling to work with him on it.

He past a reasonable time expected do a return unfortunately. You actually have to accept their terms before submitting the order so this policy while likely unread is presented.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Rockauto is pretty bare bones. They don't strike me as having a cuddly customer satisfaction policy beyond what they state.

They quickly sent me a free replacement part when one I received was clearly a part someone bought, installed and then returned.

Other than the belt, that's the only issue I've had with them in my many orders and they fixed it quickly and politely.

Schmoe,

I also will order parts "early" sometimes. It's nice to be able to have the part for when I get around to it, but it's usually not worth it even from local parts stores.

Rock Auto is praised quite often. I still don't understand why. They're cheaper sure, but that comes with a price. It's easy to refuse an exchange when not dealing face to face with part in hand.

Too late to do this but should have ordered a new belt from them and put the defective belt in the new box and return it that way. I know this will rile up a bunch of people. Flame suit on.

I would do a charge back personally. Just has they have an agreement for customers, the credit card companies have agreements for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back