Honda ATF-Z1 or ATF-DW1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the dw-1 for like 6.50. So its not that bad. I feel better just getting the honda stuff and not taking any chances. Not sure why im so worried. Never that worried about my GM products and they ran and run just fine.

GM has transmission has years and years of experiance.

I read that when Honda started to make Automatic Transmissions they couldnt get a Transmission agreement or contract with any major transmission company... I think AKIN would of made a great Tranny for Honday...

Anways... Honda had to come up with a fast AUTOMATIC Transmission and they really made a hybird tranny...

Im sure you all know Honda Automatic Tranmissions look very simular to manual transmissions, they just have clutch plates over each gear.

You can read about this on webkedia

here is what exactly happened.

Honda's automatic transmissions are unusual in that they do not use planetary gears like nearly all other makers. Instead, the Hondamatic and its successors use traditional, individual gears on parallel axes like a manual transmission, with each gear ratio engaged by a separate hydraulic clutch pack. This design is also noteworthy because it preserves engine braking by eliminating a sprag between first and second gears

Honda was forced to invent their new system due to the vast array of patents on automatic transmission technology held by BorgWarner and others.

Honda initially chose to integrate the transmission and engine block for its first application (in the N360) as in the Mini. The Hondamatic incorporated a lockup function, which Honda called a third ratio, and had manual gear selection. The company's early transmissions also used a patented torque converter which used stator force rather than hydraulic controls for shifting.

The company's naming scheme is also confusing, as it is specific to a single model of vehicle and some identifiers are reused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back