Hornady Critical Defense Lite 90 gr .38 spl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Are you talking hard cast lead wadcutters? Or standard FMJ target loads.

I have heard this for the .380acp as well, that you want penetration, as no amount of expanding round will matter if its only going 8 inches?

Heck, iv even heard this on bear defense threads.

Does the local ballistic expert back this up?

The best loads for .38 special are the Speer Gold Dot 135+p hollowpoint, Corbin DPX (all copper bullet) 110 grain hollow point, 158 grain +p lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint (FBI load). They all penetrate at least 12 inches and meet law enforcement/FBI guidelines. There MIGHT be others, but these three are universally recommended by ballistics experts.

For someone that is recoil sensitive, 148 grain cast lead wad-cutters are actually a fairly decent self defense round. They don't expand, but they have sharp edges and they get 18 inches of penetration and cut flesh/tissue amazingly well just like they cut paper. FMJ target loads are not as good.

The 90 grain 38 special lite load from Hornady that this thread is about is absolute rubbish and wouldn't be recommended by ANY ballistics expert.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Are you talking hard cast lead wadcutters? Or standard FMJ target loads.

I have heard this for the .380acp as well, that you want penetration, as no amount of expanding round will matter if its only going 8 inches?

Heck, iv even heard this on bear defense threads.

Does the local ballistic expert back this up?

The best loads for .38 special are the Speer Gold Dot 135+p hollowpoint, Corbin DPX (all copper bullet) 110 grain hollow point, 158 grain +p lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint (FBI load). They all penetrate at least 12 inches and meet law enforcement/FBI guidelines. There MIGHT be others, but these three are universally recommended by ballistics experts.

For someone that is recoil sensitive, 148 grain cast lead wad-cutters are actually a fairly decent self defense round. They don't expand, but they have sharp edges and they get 18 inches of penetration and cut flesh/tissue amazingly well just like they cut paper. FMJ target loads are not as good.

The 90 grain 38 special lite load from Hornady that this thread is about is absolute rubbish and wouldn't be recommended by ANY ballistics expert.

Cool, thanks.

I'm betting this round was designed for short barreled revolvers like a snub nose. Low recoil is due to the light rain bullet and to keep the velocity as high as possible to insure bullet expansion.

I'm much sure there are better bullets on the market right now and I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all.

I admit I could use a better round in my home gun. I still use PMC "Tubular". Remember those guys?:)

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back