Oil question need help ASAP please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
When I perform OC I let the oil drain "over night". The dirtiest oil is settled at the bottom & drain over night will get rid of them more thoroughly than a 5 min drain.

Sometimes you really need to do it yourself if you prefer a job to be done right.

Personally, I don't think that's "doing it right". Actually, I think it's a really bad idea. First off, if you drive the car before changing the oil, the "dirtiest oil" isn't going to be at the bottom. More importantly though, draining the oil pump completely dry isn't really a great idea, as you're going to have pretty low oil pressure on the first start. The only time I've seen the "low oil pressure" message on the dash is when letting it drain too long, and it also sounds horrible on the first start. A little bit of left over oil isn't doing any damage.

To the OP, just go back to Jiffy Lube, and watch them, making sure they use the correct oil. "Jiffy Lube" isn't a dirty word. Yeah, in the future you should find an indy to do it, but I'd have them make it right since you already paid for it. I've done one OC on my current car at a dealer and they screwed it up, so dealers and independents aren't foolproof either. It's not like they have their most experienced personnel doing oil changes...

Lastly, 20 miles on 5W20 isn't going to do any damage. Viscosity is related to temperature, and you're still getting up to temperature for the first 20 minutes or so.

Interesting point, but once an oil pump is depleted of oil, the difference btwn a 5 min drain vs. an over-nighter is just a layer of oil film.

I personally never encountered a low oil pressure issue after oil change or at start-up, but I always pre-fill the filter full of oil before install. Perhaps that helped out a bit.

I am aware the detergent keeps the particles suspended so the filter elements will picks up the contaminants from the oil, where with the non-detergent oil particles are settled at the bottom, but overnight drain gives me a little extra peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
When I perform OC I let the oil drain "over night". The dirtiest oil is settled at the bottom & drain over night will get rid of them more thoroughly than a 5 min drain.

Sometimes you really need to do it yourself if you prefer a job to be done right.

Personally, I don't think that's "doing it right". Actually, I think it's a really bad idea. First off, if you drive the car before changing the oil, the "dirtiest oil" isn't going to be at the bottom. More importantly though, draining the oil pump completely dry isn't really a great idea, as you're going to have pretty low oil pressure on the first start. The only time I've seen the "low oil pressure" message on the dash is when letting it drain too long, and it also sounds horrible on the first start. A little bit of left over oil isn't doing any damage.

To the OP, just go back to Jiffy Lube, and watch them, making sure they use the correct oil. "Jiffy Lube" isn't a dirty word. Yeah, in the future you should find an indy to do it, but I'd have them make it right since you already paid for it. I've done one OC on my current car at a dealer and they screwed it up, so dealers and independents aren't foolproof either. It's not like they have their most experienced personnel doing oil changes...

Lastly, 20 miles on 5W20 isn't going to do any damage. Viscosity is related to temperature, and you're still getting up to temperature for the first 20 minutes or so.

Splitting hairs on technique...

You can also do it in an office parking lot on a sunday or even on the side of the road in an industrial park, etc. Scope it out.

As far as a place to change oil, check out some local Church parking lots. Talk with the pastor and explain what you'd like to do and promise not to make a mess. You might have to visit a few congregations, but my guess would be you'll find one that will say no problem. I know at my Church, we have a guy who comes once a year with a huge motor home, (bus size RV) and services it in our parking lot and has done so for years. No problem.

As far as the "no oil in your engine," like everyone else, I say "no way." If you were totally dry, the engine would have locked tight as a drum in minutes. I agree, it might have been low enough that the dip stick was dry, but quite frankly, I even doubt that. In my opinion, some of these places want to you about the condition of your car so that you'll be thankful you visited them and will return in the future because they rescued you in the nick of time.

Finally, as far as the current oil in your car, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would leave it in there for a while, keep an eye on the oil level and run it. Even if you do change it early, consider it a "flush" oil and at the next change, put in what you want.

1. Change the oil with one that has proper VW spec.
2. Start checking your own oil level weekly at first to know for sure if your engine consumes oil. Later on you can chack less frequently if the oil level doesn't drop too quickly.
3. If someone else performs an oil change for you, always check the oil level right in their parking lot. You will avoid lots of problems that way.

Originally Posted By: evnhvn
I know I know.

what would you do if you were me?

bring it back to the same place to get them to fix it?

call corporate to get a refund and bring it elsewhere

or go to another jiffy lube and get them to fix it?

Also, In Austin

Do......NOT.......go ..... back......to ......Jiffy......Lube.
In case you don't know or haven't seen it, they are notorious for scamming customers. Click on that link and watch for yourself.
Find a good and honest mechanic or better yet, perform the procedure yourself. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I change my own oil now but i realized that changing oilat the dealer is typically between a few bucks less than elsewhere to a few bucks more. Jiffy lube and other places dont care what your car specs. Either find a good independent mechanic who knows VW (ideal, if you get bigger problems he will be there to help), bring it to a dealer for oil changes or do it yourself. When i first got my car i brought it to some napa garage and they put in 5w50 synthetic...last time it went there.. after that dealer only..and now doing oil changes myself.

Went to a quick lube place about 12 years ago and ended up paying 70$ for the oil change and they told me i needed to replace some part. 5 mins later..check engine light came on...so yeah..dont go back.

I went ahead and found some well-reviewed mechanics that specialize in VW:

Crabtree VW Repair
12219 Roxie Drive, Austin, TX 78729
(512) 258-2730

Motormania
10208 Fm-620 N, #1, Austin, TX 78726
(512) 331-0877

STAY AWAY FROM JIFFY LUBE!

Edit: STAY AWAY FROM ALL QUICK LUBE PLACES!

Motormania looks promising!

What's not to like here?

b3ols6.png

OP, you've gotten a lot of recommendations here. Not to add to the confusion, but let me try to summarize:

1. Don't try to bring it to a different JL and expect them to correct the situation for free. They will just tell you it isn't their fault and to go back to the original shop.

2. Don't worry too much about the "wrong" (5W-20) oil being in your engine...it won't have harmed anything for the short time it's been in there, just get it changed ASAP and don't beat on it in the meantime. Think of it as a quick flush.

3. If you do go back the the original JL, watch them like a hawk and verify everything for yourself.

4. Don't go to a Jiffy Lube again. Oil changes are about the simplest thing you can do, so buy a set of ramps, a wrench for the drain plug, and a pan to drain the old oil into and be proud of yourself with your new skill.
19.gif

Your having idiots work on your car, hilarity ensues, and you are surprised at the results?

Pop the hood and check the oil yourself. Maintain it yourself or find a good independent mechanic to do the work for you.

Even girls can check their own oil.
checking-oil_1659277c.jpg

OP: You're getting a lot of advice to change your own oil. Most of 'us' BITOGers are DIYers so that's just the way 'we' think; but I understand not everyone has the skill, desire, or patience to change their own oil. I don't have the skill, desire, or patience to cut my own hair, so I go to a professional. If they do a good job and are friendly and resonably priced, I'll go back again next time.

Don't feel too bad about going to Jiffy Lube. Lots of people do. But you've shown that you care too much about your car, and the fact that they've already made mistakes with yours means you'll be best served to find a better shop. Beyond that, as long as you're checking your fluid levels (sounds like you are), keeping an eye on your tires, and following a reasonable maintenance plan, your car should be fine.

Keep us in the loop. We enjoy helping each other out, and above all just knowing that the right oil goes into the right car ; )

Since no one's mentioned this...I will...
Since you want to have someone change your oil...
Many dealers will change your oil with oil/filter you bring in for a labor fee, typically $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back