Best oil for 2005 GMC Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I hav been using 10w30 mobil 1 syn in both my GMC Canyon & Envoy. both have about 50,000 miles. I also pull a boat that weighs 3700 lbs, only 300 lbs short of max. I have never had an oil related problem, and have been using M1 for 25 years. It probaly isn't the best rated, but it is good and easy to find. Now about 28 bucks for 5 qts at wallyworld.
QSUD 5W30 is $20.57 @ Wal-Mart .. very good oil at a great price. your truck will not know the difference. Try it..
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: bandz7

I've heard of possible fuel dilution b/c of the direct injection. Anybody had this problem with the Canyons

These motors are NOT direct-injection.

You could also try shell rotella t6 5-40 it is rated for gas engines, and is very good oil. I'm not an engineer but I think this oil would work fine, even though its a 40w. It is afull syn, it could probaly be used in everything from the lawnmower to the motorcycle.

I have a 2006 I5. I Use Mobil 1 10-30 I ran it hard as [censored] for 12000 mi then sent it to Blackstone Labs, they said it could go to 15000 mi. I have 68000mi and never an issue with the engine. I live in S Fla and tow a 3500 lb boat a lot.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
I live in Central Tx where last summer we had over 100 days of plus 100 temps. I've had both a GMC Canyon (4cyl) and CHEV Colorado (5cyl. They both got Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (5qt jugs from Wally world)during the summer and 5w-30 during the winter with either GM or Wix filter and 5000 miles oil change intervals. Never had any issues. And, a lot of the GM dealerships in Texas are using 10w-30 bulk oil..

I live in the Dallas area with 100 plus temps through out the summer. I have always run dino's usually VWB, QSAD, or MSK 10w 30 with a Purolator classic filter all handle the heat well. QSAD seemed to run a little quieter and smoother in my two cars, GM 3.4L and Toyota 1.4L.

I have a 2005 Colorado ZQ8 with the 3.5L. I bought it new, and in the 143,000 miles I've driven it, I have used Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 High Mileage - all 5W-30 or 10W-30. Right now I have Mobil 1 5W-30 in the sump. I always use Wix filters, and have done 5-6k mile oil changes. Truck still runs like new, and has zero leaks or oil consumption. PP, QSUD, M1 - any of these will be just fine.

My ExGirlfriends 2008 Canyons 3.5Liter Inline 5 got 6 or 7 GC oil changes from me, starting around 28,000 miles for the first one (back in 2009) to around 48,000 miles when I did the last one. This is the 1st vehicle I used GC in, I believe it was 2005 vintage GC the 1st, 2nd and 3rd changes, that Id been saving, and I can still remember the Ultra Smooth sound the engine made on that 1st startup with GC. Wish I had of done a UOA on one of those changes. Oil was always redish color after 3,000 to 4,000 miles, but I bet there was So Much life left in that used GC. Always used a Delco or STP oil filter, and 6 quarts GC....Good Memories. She was Worth it.

Last edited:
The GC bottles had the Six flat sided caps, I just remembered, with the name Syntec stamped on top. Different from the (2009?) until now caps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cryption
My buddy wants to learn to change the oil in his truck, but I'm a VW guy so I don't know the least thing about the I5 they put in the Canyon/Colorado.

The truck has 48,xxx Miles

We live in Houston, TX - the average summer temp will be in the high 90s to low 100s.

The truck sees mostly City driving and short trips, and he drives the truck pretty hard

the truck runs tip top.

He is undecided if he wants to switch to synthetic or not. Can someone chime in what oils they run in their I5? Both dyno and synthetic please, so I can pick the right oil based on his decision.

Thanks BITOG!

Rule 1:

2006_GMC_CanyonExt_ext_1.jpg

BIL had a 2006 with the I5 and I had him running Quaker State 5W30 synthetic with an AC Delco filter. Seemed to like it and do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back