2009 Nissan 370Z VQ37 Pennzoil Ultra 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your last two UOA's look very good, it also appears the fancy gold bottle Edge is indeed a match for Ultra, at least at these short OCI's.

Lately I'm wondering if the VQ37 really is an "oil destroyer" like some claim.

Do you track the car? I assume you drive it hard (that's what it's made for).

I'm pretty happy with both Castrol Ti and PU. I think there may be some variance due to season though: the first run of Castrol Ti is all summer use, seeing high temps. Second run was the following Fall through Spring, and looks real good, but didn't see a lot high temps. Then in the summer I switched to PU, but forgot to sample it when I changed last Fall. That ran until now, so 9 months and half the summer. I drive it like it was meant to. No tracking yet, was hoping to get a track record with oil first and make sure it isn't an oil burner (it isn't).

As far as "oil destroyer" I think it is (look at the Nissan Ester sample) but PU and Castrol Ti are pretty good oils IMHO.

Thanks for posting your analysis. I too have an '09 370Z. I have been running Redline 05W-30 exclusively since the 5,000 mile mark and on 5K OCI's, The results have been good. The car is coming up on 35,000 miles and I bought a case of 05W-30 Ultra to try. I'm hoping for a less expensive alternative to the Redline. I live in SouCal so don't see cold temps but summers are hot and I frequently hit 220-240 degrees F on the oil temp gauge. Regarding oil consumption, the car was using about 1.25-1.5 quarts between changes but interestingly enough, it seems to have settled down since the 30,000 mile mark. I have only added about 1/2 a quart in 4000 miles. I will post the results of my Blackstone report after 5000 miles of the Ultra in my Z.

My car used about 1/2 down the stick (10mm about) at the 16k OC. Next OC was down about 4mm on the stick, and the last 3 changes have been about 2mm down on the stick. I bought the car with 13.5k on it, and did my own engine break-in routine before the 16k OC, maybe that helped with the oil consumption in the subsequent OC's?

Originally Posted By: dparm

Me, too. I think part of the problem is that we don't have a lot of trended analysis reports for the engine. This is probably one of the first I've seen. Usually, they're just out of the blue, not to mention hopping from one boutique brand to another at each OCI, trying to see which "holds up best" on the track. Non-trended UOAs or a bunch of track time are not exactly indicative of normal use.

(that's what it's made for).

^^This. Nissan Z`s are made to be driven hard.

My family's 06 350Z is proof. MIL has beat this car since brand new. All wheels are curbed, interior is destroyed, car still runs GREAT even after spotty maintenance, one hard beast to kill.

Both me and my BIL have taken it out for prolonged thrashing on back roads, even done time trials against each other until it went into limp mode!

Tough little car.

Wear numbers are trending down nicely.
PU is proving to be a very shear stable oil in a supposedly tough application.

I see no reason why anyone would want or need to run a heavier here such as M1 0W-40 and RL 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My family's 06 350Z is proof. MIL has beat this car since brand new. All wheels are curbed, interior is destroyed, car still runs GREAT even after spotty maintenance, one hard beast to kill.

Both me and my BIL have taken it out for prolonged thrashing on back roads, even done time trials against each other until it went into limp mode!

Tough little car.

Yep,Z's are indestructible. I had a 280Z and a Z31 turbo that I pounded on,and they simply won't break. They definitely don't like to be granny-putted around in. You have to drive them hard to keep them running good
smile.gif

smile.gif
Its interesting to see people write how the VQ37 or the Subaru EJ series are destroyers of oil when there are plenty of UOA's that show boring normalcy.

The Z is not a high volume car but there are a few folks here doing trending and posting results. I only have a few reports in on my 2010 but will be trending it every 6 months while under warranty using PU, so I won't see an OCI over 5-6K likely for a while.

The Z/G37 reports on BITOG is what led me to start using PU in the first place after being a M1 user for 15+ years. Not that I think M1 is bad (350+K combined miles of troublefree use in 3 performance cars), I just wanted to change it up a bit given the known valvetrain noise this engine can generage and not wanting to bend over for ester based Redline nor use the Nissan Ester oil which is an inferior product for the price. I still use M1 0/40 for the Cayman, and started using in in the old EJ20 WRX (after 120K of 5/30 M1)

Some Z's are known to consume oil and there is a TSB out to measure if consumption is > 1 qt per 800 miles or so and new long blocks are the remedy.

- b

PU and VK and VQ engines are a good match. I have seen these engines shred M1 and Amsoil.

And by shred, I mean not get the life expectancy to mileage/cost that one would expect from premium syn.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Just curious, why 4k miles on Ultra?

I`m thinking Z34`s are specd for either 3700 or 3000 miles per fsm (Z32`s are specd for 3000 whether using conventional or synth per fsm).

Yep, powertrain warranty is up this fall, so I'll start lengthening the OCI, starting with the current fill.

Schedule 1 is 3750 where as schedule 2 is 7500, both within 6mo.

I have posted a few of my 2010, one run was close to 7500.

PU has worked well so far. I suspect PUP should too but it will take at least a year I think until we start seeing enough reports to compare. My PU stash is dwindling :p

- b

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, his year should be calling for 3750 miles, like my G.

I forgot you have a G37
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back