Largest rifle ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really see no point in a rifle this size other than for record purposes, i guess. Imagine hauling around the new version weighing in at a feather weight 110 pounds.

Even with the compensator, the "unprepared" could dislocate a shoulder when firing this one. I would like to have a dummy round just to display. I wonder how accurate it is and what was with the "chamber slowly"? Is this thing subject to slam fires?

While it wasn't quite the same caliber, I know a guy who made a rifle from an M-61 20mm barrel.

The 20mm would have more impact energy and velocity than this round...good for piercing armor...it would go through big game without slowing down.

Building experimental firearms can be risky, this guy lost his thumb in a breech bolt failure...and the docs sewed his big toe in its place...but that's another story....

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: dparm
LOL what the [censored] is the intended use for this weapon?

Compensation!

G*D!! Why do people always pull this out? Stupidest thing ever said out loud.

It's an awesome piece of engineering and needs no purpose other than to simply BE.

Any gun. Any where. Any time.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Compensation!

It's an awesome piece of engineering and needs no purpose other than to simply BE.

What's really stupid is people who don't get a joke or understand sarcasm!
lol.gif

Taking out zombie dinosaurs?

Compensation!

What's really stupid is people who don't get a joke or understand sarcasm!
lol.gif

What's really, really stupid is expecting any sarcasm to be felt in a one word response with no setup or explanation.

What's really, really stupid is expecting any sarcasm to be felt in a one word response with no setup or explanation.

You're right; it is stupid when you need an explanation.
cry.gif

This should have been classified as a man-portable (?) weapon. Naval guns are classified as "rifles" because they ARE rifled! The largest "rifles" ever installed were the 18.1" rifles on the IJN Yamato and Musashi. At the US Army Ordnance School, there is a 36" mortar built for WWII. It was never fielded.
I haven't noted attacks by T.Rex lately, and I feel that a 20mm round would make mincemeat of one; at 1000m!! As an engineering exercise, it's interesting. As a weapon, it's as useful at a dragster is for transportation.

years ago they used to offer Lahti 39 20mm rifles with ammo for $199.99...I believe the ad I saw was from a comic book.

You'll note this rifle has a muzzle brake....depending on the efficiency of the brakeand considering the weight of the rifle, recoil may not be that bad.

If not mistaken, I believe the largest "rifles" by definition were installed on WWII Battleships

I believe the largest bore shoulder fired rifles were the old elephant guns, the [censored] grandfather of today's 12 gauge slug gun. They were produced in calibers as larges as 2 bore, 1.32" 1/2 pound round balls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_bore 4 bore was a lot more common 1/4 lb ~1" ball. This was before smokeless nitrocellulose powder, black powder doesn't burn very fast, so upping velocity was impossible, the only way to increase power was to make the projectile heavier.

If you want to go by muzzle energy, various anti tank rifles are probably the "biggest" shoulder fired rifles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back