2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 under valve cover -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the valve cover off of my Sonata to check the valve clearance (it was well within spec, BTW). Here are some pics.

This car has just over 100k miles. I’ve owned this car for 40k miles. I’ve been using either synthetic or conventional for reasonable oil changes. I buy whatever name-brand oil is on sale. I generally go about 5k miles or so on conventional and 7500+ on synthetic. Oil filters have mostly been OE Hyundai filters.

Overall I think it looks pretty good, considering that I don’t know what the first 60k miles of maintenance were like. There is one gunky spot that’s highlighted in red. The way this engine is positioned oil collects in that spot and I don't think it can easily drain away.

Sonatavalvecover1_zps9239d894.jpg

Sonatavalvecover2_zpsbaeb4599.jpg

Sonatavalvecover3_zpsf269e0d3.jpg

Yes, a new Fel-Pro valve cover gasket was installed. It was only $12 or so locally.

When you say "I would like to do the same" I don't know if you mean check the valves or just look under the valve cover.

If you mean check the valves, I wouldn't bother. Mine were well within spec at 100k miles. The manual says to check them at 60k miles. Since seemingly there aren't many Hyundai owner's that are competent DIY'ers, I couldn't find anything saying whether they really ever need adjustment. I decided to check them, and they're fine.

Thanks. I just want to take pics of the condition of the "head".
Then afterward take pics every 50 000km to compare the condition of the "head".

Im running 10 000miles OCI on both Sonatas.
The older Sonata will use Caterham blend and the newer Sonata I plan to use Amsoil 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it need the timing belt replaced?

Looks light they replaced it with a chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back