Motul Sport Ester 5W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Clevy
You gained oil pressure by reducing volume of flow.
First off you need to determine max oil temp when driving hard. Then take that temp and look up minimum oil pressure at max temp/rpm.
Now find an oil that will maintain the oil pressure at the max oil temp. That insures adequate pressure and viscosity when the oil is at its hottest.
Then use the thinnest oil you can find that meets your minimum pressure at maximum oil temp.
There is less parasitic loss with thinner oils which means more power to the wheels. Add that to thinner oils allow more volume per pump stroke which means more heat than be removed from the engine faster.
Thin as possible.
As thick as necessary.

A positive displacement oil pump displaces the same amount of oil per revolution if it is TGMO 0w-20 or TWS 10w-60. The volume is constant at a given RPM. Whether some of that oil goes out the bypass or all of it is forced through the engine is determined by the bypass pressure on the release valve. The pressure observed on the gauge is simply indicative as to the level of restriction in the system. And can tell you if the bypass is open or not.

That's true in theory but in practice heavier oil does flow at a reduced rate, even below the by-pass point, than lighter oil particularly when you're comparing a large viscosity difference such as between a 20wt and 60wt oil.

This was discussed in another thread a year or so ago and I don't remember all the technical reasons why but they included oil pump leakage, pick-up pipe diameter and screen size etc.

I would think you'd get greater leakage with a thinner oil than a thicker one....
21.gif

If pick-up tube diameter and the like plays a role, then engine design, oil pump displacement volume per rotation, pick-up size...etc all play a role too. Which would mean that this varies by application.

Like everything else in an engine, the oil system is highly engineered. It has to be, because it's required to deliver and recover the correct amount of this misbegotten stuff called motor oil to and from all parts of the engine, and do it over a range of temperatures that goes from -40 to 300 F. Over this range of temperature, the oil goes from the consistency of sour cream to milk, so the actual amount of oil flow required by the engine changes proportionally to the viscosity. The oil pump has to be sized and regulated to keep oil pressure within an acceptable range.

The OP is modifying his engine to run at higher speeds, which is increasing the flow requirement to probably more than the pump was sized for, which may be why he is seeing a drop in pressure at max rpm. Or maybe the pump is suffering from cavitation at the inlet. Or maybe the oil is foaming due to high rpm churning, entraining a lot of air, and compressing in the galleries. Or maybe oil is staying in the cylinder head, unable to drain back to the pan because of inadequate crankcase venting, causing the oil pump to suck air. Which of these posible conditions is the cause of the OP's problem? I don't know.

The favorite method of dealing with loss of oil pressure at high rpm is to increase oil pump displacement. But this may make things worse if the problem is with oil drainage. A higher displacement pump that can maintain regulated pressure at high rpm will pull oil out of the pan faster and force more flow through the engine pressure system. But when the oil gets into the drain system, it still has to get back to the pan under the force of gravity, which did not change when the pump displacement was increased. The final result of this could be that the pump draws the level in the pan down quicker than the original, causing the pickup to suck air sooner. This is why I am not an advocate of 70+ psi oil pressures. Like Caterham has said, if you can maintain 50 psi of stable oil pressure at maximum operating speed, be happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The OP is modifying his engine to run at higher speeds, which is increasing the flow requirement to probably more than the pump was sized for, which may be why he is seeing a drop in pressure at max rpm. Or maybe the pump is suffering from cavitation at the inlet. Or maybe the oil is foaming due to high rpm churning, entraining a lot of air, and compressing in the galleries. Or maybe oil is staying in the cylinder head, unable to drain back to the pan because of inadequate crankcase venting, causing the oil pump to suck air. Which of these posible conditions is the cause of the OP's problem? I don't know.

The favorite method of dealing with loss of oil pressure at high rpm is to increase oil pump displacement. But this may make things worse if the problem is with oil drainage. A higher displacement pump that can maintain regulated pressure at high rpm will pull oil out of the pan faster and force more flow through the engine pressure system. But when the oil gets into the drain system, it still has to get back to the pan under the force of gravity, which did not change when the pump displacement was increased. The final result of this could be that the pump draws the level in the pan down quicker than the original, causing the pickup to suck air sooner. This is why I am not an advocate of 70+ psi oil pressures. Like Caterham has said, if you can maintain 50 psi of stable oil pressure at maximum operating speed, be happy.

Good solid summary, Mr Harman. We mustn't forget that the flow requirement of an engine is largely static ie if it moves 6GPM at 3K, it will need just a little over that at 7K RPM. If your pump is moving 10GPM@3K, and your engine is taking only 6, then a solid 4GPM is just being bypassed. The pump displaces much more as the RPMs climb, and bypasses pretty much all of the increased displacement. This, as with other things, only gets worse as viscosity increases.

Quote:
Like Caterham has said, if you can maintain 50 psi of stable oil pressure at maximum operating speed, be happy.

Agreed. 50-60psi is fine.

First off you need to determine max oil temp when driving hard. Then take that temp and look up minimum oil pressure at max temp/rpm.
Now find an oil that will maintain the oil pressure at the max oil temp. That insures adequate pressure and viscosity when the oil is at its hottest.
Then use the thinnest oil you can find that meets your minimum pressure at maximum oil temp.
There is less parasitic loss with thinner oils which means more power to the wheels. Add that to thinner oils allow more volume per pump stroke which means more heat than be removed from the engine faster.
Thin as possible.
As thick as necessary.

A positive displacement oil pump displaces the same amount of oil per revolution if it is TGMO 0w-20 or TWS 10w-60. The volume is constant at a given RPM. Whether some of that oil goes out the bypass or all of it is forced through the engine is determined by the bypass pressure on the release valve. The pressure observed on the gauge is simply indicative as to the level of restriction in the system. And can tell you if the bypass is open or not.

I am aware of the pump always pumping the at a constant rate however because the oil is thicker the pump is working harder to pump the oil increasing parasitic loss and the pressure bump is because the oil is having a more difficult time moving through the oil galleys.
So volume will be affected because the oil is moving slower creating more back pressure although the volume would be very close to equal because of the restriction the oil is being slowed.
???????
Kinda sounded good at the time of writing.

I am aware of the pump always pumping the at a constant rate however because the oil is thicker the pump is working harder to pump the oil increasing parasitic loss and the pressure bump is because the oil is having a more difficult time moving through the oil galleys.

Yes, the increase in pressure is because there is greater resistance to flow. But flow isn't decreased.

And Shannow IIRC recently did the math on the parasitic loss and it is a LOT less than most think it is.

Quote:
So volume will be affected because the oil is moving slower creating more back pressure although the volume would be very close to equal because of the restriction the oil is being slowed.
???????

Nope, volume is the same, in fact it may be slightly higher with the heavier oil due to less leakage as per myself, Shannow and jrustles. Oil is moving at the same rate, which in turn creates more pressure as you are cramming a more viscous fluid through the same area (assuming again that the bypass isn't open).

I've got a spare oil pump somewhere, need to find it, i think the bypass will need some study, as the talk mostly ends up there..
About the KV40 and KV100, there are not included in the basic Blackstone testing? I know TBN is extra, are these too?

This is an actual image of the pump, and it's flow rate is 35 litres per minute :
7573765___111475_4f44c7dcbb127.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MINick
About the KV40 and KV100, there are not included in the basic Blackstone testing? I know TBN is extra, are these too?

The KV100 is standard but you have to request the KV40; I think they charge 10 bucks more for it.

Ok, thanks, i will probably ask for KV40 only at the virgin sample to compare with the Motul specs

Thin as possible.
As thick as necessary.

???????

Yes you're on the right track, but the higher the back-pressure (the heavier the oil) the greater the oil pump slippage and therefore lower the volume of oil flowing through the engine.

It was discussed in detail in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2732602&page=5

Well, I took CATERHAM's advice. According to every pump manufacturer (and a few educational sites) that I can find that offers web-accessible info, as oil viscosity increases, slippage decreases, the pump efficiency increases and pump output increases (when on test rigs). In practice, when mounted, the pick-up screen and pick-up tube diameter can become limiting as viscosity increases and a vacuum is created. As a result, the vapor pressure of the oil and the differential in pressure between the pump and the sump determines if cavitation occurs. If cavitation begins to occur, pump output can decrease due to cavitation. So, in practice, output decreases as viscosity increases when the oil's vapor pressure allows cavitation.

Other sources of flow loss due to increased viscosity are mated surfaces on the pump. Since most pumps do not use gaskets and mounting surfaces aren't perfect, the pumps simply leak. As a result, as pressure builds, oil can leak from mated sufaces.

All pump literature that I could find attributed increases in oil temps with increase viscosity to be due to the increased energy that it takes to pump the fluid. Some also noted that when flow rate decreases, primarily due to high bearing velocity, the oil has higher resident time in bearings and can come closer to equilibrium with the metal surfaces. The oil exits the bearing hotter, but due to lower flow, actually removes less heat.

CATERHAM, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts...

For any given pressure rise, the thinner oil will always have a higher internal pump leakage than a thicker oil...and higher internal pump leakage results in higher heating in the pumping process.

If you are asserting that the thicker oil increases oil pressure to the point that it increases leakage more than the thinner, your case comes from an operating regime that has nothing to do with engine lubrication...

Yes you're on the right track, but the higher the back-pressure (the heavier the oil) the greater the oil pump slippage and therefore lower the volume of oil flowing through the engine.

It was discussed in detail in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2732602&page=5

Well, I took CATERHAM's advice. According to every pump manufacturer (and a few educational sites) that I can find that offers web-accessible info, as oil viscosity increases, slippage decreases, the pump efficiency increases and pump output increases (when on test rigs). In practice, when mounted, the pick-up screen and pick-up tube diameter can become limiting as viscosity increases and a vacuum is created. As a result, the vapor pressure of the oil and the differential in pressure between the pump and the sump determines if cavitation occurs. If cavitation begins to occur, pump output can decrease due to cavitation. So, in practice, output decreases as viscosity increases when the oil's vapor pressure allows cavitation.

Other sources of flow loss due to increased viscosity are mated surfaces on the pump. Since most pumps do not use gaskets and mounting surfaces aren't perfect, the pumps simply leak. As a result, as pressure builds, oil can leak from mated sufaces.

All pump literature that I could find attributed increases in oil temps with increase viscosity to be due to the increased energy that it takes to pump the fluid. Some also noted that when flow rate decreases, primarily due to high bearing velocity, the oil has higher resident time in bearings and can come closer to equilibrium with the metal surfaces. The oil exits the bearing hotter, but due to lower flow, actually removes less heat.

CATERHAM:

Your quoting is a bit of a mess bud, to be blunt. Starting at the line "Well, I took CATERHAM's advice..." this was GMorg's statement.

So starting with the following text:

According to every pump manufacturer (and a few educational sites) that I can find that offers web-accessible info, as oil viscosity increases, slippage decreases, the pump efficiency increases and pump output increases (when on test rigs).

Completely contradicts your opening statement:

21.gif

Then the next part:

Quote:
In practice, when mounted, the pick-up screen and pick-up tube diameter can become limiting as viscosity increases and a vacuum is created. As a result, the vapor pressure of the oil and the differential in pressure between the pump and the sump determines if cavitation occurs. If cavitation begins to occur, pump output can decrease due to cavitation. So, in practice, output decreases as viscosity increases when the oil's vapor pressure allows cavitation.

Emphasis obviously mine. Indicates that in CERTAIN SITUATIONS, output can decrease if cavitation is allowed to occur. I don't think anybody is in disagreement with this. However, that's an application dependent caveat, not a rule with respect to oil pump displacement.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
CATERHAM, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts...

For any given pressure rise, the thinner oil will always have a higher internal pump leakage than a thicker oil...and higher internal pump leakage results in higher heating in the pumping process.

If you are asserting that the thicker oil increases oil pressure to the point that it increases leakage more than the thinner, your case comes from an operating regime that has nothing to do with engine lubrication...

For a given rpm, oil pump pressure is constant.
What varies with viscosity is the back-pressure in the system.
The higher the viscosity the higher the back-pressure with a corresponding increase in pump leakage and therefore reduced oil flow.
Additionally there is the potential oil pump cavitation issue with heavier oil.

OVERKILL, why obfuscate the issue?
Yes of course it was Gmorg's well summarized research from that thread which I provided.
And the issue is not about the oil pump displacement but why heavier oil flows at a reduced rate than lighter oil through an engine. The bottom line is that it does.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Anyone wanna to calculate this using pump displacement and measuring output volume? An equal increase in leakage on the delivery side might help balance that out
wink.gif

The following CarCraft magazine comparison of different oil pump's also measured the net output flow of different oil grades.
A non-specified 20W-50 flowed 14% less than a non-specified 0W-20:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_small_block_chevy_oil_pumps/viewall.html

For a given rpm, oil pump pressure is constant.

Oil pump volume is constant. Pressure is simply the result of restriction.

Quote:
What varies with viscosity is the back-pressure in the system.
The higher the viscosity the higher the back-pressure with a corresponding increase in pump leakage and therefore reduced oil flow.

The lower the viscosity the increase in pump leakage because it can fit through the spaces better than a heavier oil. See, we can spin this both ways. Your premise here is that because of the higher resistance (oil pressure) that it results in more leakage. However the pump manufactures state that a thicker oil has less leakage. So then one must find out, which would be COMPLETELY application dependant, whether, with a given oil grade, the resulting increase in back pressure causes more leakage than a thinner oil. Or whether the thinner lubricant, by virtue of simply being thinner, leaks more, even at a slightly lower pressure.

This is being stated as if the thin oil has no back pressure and the thick oil has like a billion PSI. That's not the case and we both know that. Often times the difference is only a couple of PSI, which means there is significant back pressure regardless of lubricant used.

Quote:
Additionally there is the potential oil pump cavitation issue with heavier oil.

Red herring. This is completely application dependant, you can't just toss that out like using 0w-40 in a 5w-30 app is going to cause massive cavitation and bearing failure here, which seems to be what is being implied.

Quote:
OVERKILL, why obfuscate the issue?
Yes of course it was Gmorg's well summarized research from that thread which I provided.
And the issue is not about the oil pump displacement but why heavier oil flows at a reduced rate than lighter oil through an engine. The bottom line is that it does.

I'm not obfuscating anything, I was simply pointing out that you didn't properly quote GMorg's text, which made it look like it was part of your quote. And that the information he provided, which came from the pump manufacturers, completely contradicts what you are saying here.

And another quote from that thread:

Originally Posted By: GMorg
CATERHAM: OK, so we are on the same page except for the how much slippage occurs and whether it is universally related to viscosity. In the link that you provided, the 20W50 averages about 7% greater flow than the SAE30. In this case, two full SAE grade increases resulted in greater flow based on the data that you cite. If increased viscosity universally decreases flow, how can this be?

At which point you just chalk it up to the oil not being hot enough:

The oil temp's for the test of 162-166F are not very high so a low VI mineral straight 30wt being not much lighter than a synthetic 20W-50 doesn't surprise me.

And you then advise him to contact the oil pump manufacturers (which he did):

I think the amount of slippage is directly related to the amount of back-pressure in the system. One could always contact one of the oil pump manufacturers mentioned in the article and see if they can shead more light on the subject.

And then he provided the information in the quote that you initially provided in this thread which contradicts your argument
21.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Anyone wanna to calculate this using pump displacement and measuring output volume? An equal increase in leakage on the delivery side might help balance that out
wink.gif

The following CarCraft magazine comparison of different oil pump's also measured the net output flow of different oil grades.
A non-specified 20W-50 flowed 14% less than a non-specified 0W-20:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_small_block_chevy_oil_pumps/viewall.html

They make no mention of what the bypass on the pumps were set at.

However this quote is interesting:

Quote:
since the 20W-50 produced the highest average at 67.4 psi compared with 0W-20's much lower 59.7.

Because if we are dealing with a ~60psi bypass, Shannow's point is correct.

Here are the graphs from the article:

OilPumpgpm.JPG

Viscositytest.JPG

And the pump they used for the test:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/18750/10002/-1

Which again, completely backs up Shannow's statements, as it puts the bypass pressure rating at 52psi for the stock spring in that pump............
crazy2.gif

Ran out of edit time, but the spec's on that pump:

Quote:
High pressure & High Volume -
25% volume increase, 65-70 lbs max HOT oil pressure. 3/8" deeper than stock pump and has 5/8" diameter inlet.

http://www.milodon.com/oil-system/oil-pumps.asp

(the 52psi was for a Melling, disregard)

Which means that on the SAE 30 and the 20w-50, the pump was into the bypass.

Bypass valves will do that...

That was discussed and dismissed in the referenced thread.
Obviously they are comparing flow rates below the known by-pass point of the oil pump.

OVERKILL, yes you are obfuscating the issue as best you can.
The question remains, do you still contend that a 10W-60 will flow oil at the same rate through an engine as the ultra light TGMO 0W-20? This is of course notwithstanding the fact that a 10W-60 will still be in by-pass at elevated rev's in most engines at normal operating temp's.

Bypass valves will do that...

That was discussed and dismissed in the referenced thread.
Obviously they are comparing flow rates below the known by-pass point of the oil pump.

But they didn't. I just looked up the pump they used and posted the spec's above.

Quote:
OVERKILL, yes you are obfuscating the issue as best you can.

No, you just hate being wrong
wink.gif

Quote:
The question remains, do you still contend that a 10W-60 will flow oil at the same rate through an engine as the ultra light TGMO 0W-20? This is of course notwithstanding the fact that a 10W-60 will still be in by-pass at elevated rev's in most engines at normal operating temp's.

My contention is that they will flow at almost identical rates as long as the bypass is not activated. This mirrors what has been stated by GMorg with respect to what the oil pump manufacturers say.

Now that's not to say that the oil will return to the sump as quickly, or that the oil will, at leakage points, flow out as readily....etc. But simply that with each turn of the gears, the oil pump will be displacing approximately the same volume of oil, regardless of which of the two oils you've mentioned is being used. One will leak at the pump because it is thin, the other will leak because there is greater resistance downstream. Ultimately it is probably a wash in application.

Now that doesn't mean I advocate people use 10w-60 in a 5w-20 app. And this is of course ignoring the function of the bypass, which in application, we cannot. With those caveats mentioned, hopefully I've made my position clear?

OVERKILL, I "don't hate being wrong", I'm only interested in the truth.

I can't seem to pull-up the CarCraft oil pump comparison any longer but it does appear as Shannow suggested that the oil pump was in by-pass running the heavier oils. The by-pass spec' for the Milodon 18740 pump is given at 65-70 psi (hot); don't know why "hot" would make any difference. As you know the current by-pass setting on more modern Chevy V8s is around 80 psi.
Anyway, it does appear that the CarCraft oil pump test may have been flawed.

It is your contention that oil flow is the same regardless of an oil's viscosity below the by-pass point. I don't think you're right and it would be nice to have a proper oil flow test to put the issue to bed once and for all. But I do believe the issue is largely moot as I haven't seen any evidence of a large increase in oil temp's running heavier oil unless the oil pump is in by-pass mode.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as long as you're not in by-pass mode I don't have a problem in using a heavier than spec' oil to maintain a certain desired oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back