Looking for an OBD II scanner CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Ive been looking for a OBD II scanner for a while, just to read and clear basic codes. Ive narrowed it down to 2, the Maxiscan MS300 and the Maxiscan MS309 the only difference I can see is that the MS309 tells on screen what the code is, and the MS300 comes with software to look up codes. Does anyone have experience with either and if so, what do you think of them? TIA!

I would vote for a bluetooth ELM327 clone or similar. Dirt cheap (should be able to find under $15), but you have to use it with phone, tablet, or laptop.

If you have an android phone, install Torque Pro (app 5$ or so), and buy an ELM 327 as jacek mentioned above. The combo cost me about 20$. I have no regrets, its cleared codes for me multiple times and allowed me to pull codes from a Hyundai and Toyota and clear the lights as well.

I've used both. The one that includes code diagnosis on the screen is basically useless added noise - you'll find out more by googling your car make & model with the code number than it will ever tell you.

I wouldn't spend more than $10 on a basic scanner.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I would vote for a bluetooth ELM327 clone or similar. Dirt cheap (should be able to find under $15), but you have to use it with phone, tablet, or laptop.

This.

ELM327 + Torque Pro = Awesome

How far away will the blue tooth communicate between the ELM327 and computer.

Would it work on my shop desk top that would be 20' away from the installed ELM327?

I have the Maxiscan MS309 and it works fine. I have had it for ~2 years. Not very feature rich, but it reads and resets codes. It has worked on every car I have tried it on.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Range on the Elm 327 is apparently 30 feet...(bluetooth range) guess it depends on the environment though..

The 'Elm 327' part doesn't have anything to do with the range, and these are all clones of the 327 rather than a branded product.

The ones I've taken apart have all used serial bluetooth modules with a CSR chipset and large (for bluetooth) circuit board antenna -- exactly the ones you can find on FleaBay for $8 or so. They'll have good range, but perhaps only line-of-sight. Expecting them to reach 30 foot when tucked under the dash is... optimistic.

I haven't taken apart the newer compact readers, which don't looks as if the would support an off-the-shelf module.

An inexpensive solution is to buy an OBD2 extension cable for $5-$10 to move the reader out from under the dash.

While not as inexpensive as mentioned in previous posts, a scangauge II is one of the handiest gadgets I've owned.

They generally can be had for under $160.00 and not only scan for trouble codes, but also can give you four gauges at once to view.

Torque app can do a whole lot more. Almost limitless.

7683714758_5edc8c4604_z.jpg

Alright, I'm getting curious about this "torque" application. Bluetooth, eh? Does this application work with an iPad, or do you have to use a smartphone?

torque is only ported for android OS. there is a new iphone app that looks like it may be similar for the same cost.... search the apple app store by "obd 2".

some internet ramblings of cheap BT dongles shorting internally and taking the ECU with it. I'd avoid the cheapest ones. I'd favor a real wire if one could be found, but that's harder to find.

No similar iPhone application exists because officially Apple does not let you pair with a cheap Chinese Bluetooth adapter.

Has this changed lately?

Nope. Apple has once again screwed its customers with the Walled Garden approach. They BlueTooth chip will only communicate with the super expensive OBDII adapters ($150+). I can't remember the exact reason why off the top of my head, but it's a hardware/software related issue that Apple has put in place on purpose.

This is the main reason I use Android. COMPLETE control over MY phone. I can remove all the bullcrap that the carriers put onto the phone and make it 100% mine 100% controlled by me. Plus there is no Walled Garden issues like having to jailbreak (I turn my phone on holding 2 buttons and it's unlocked) or not being able to use certain products (like the cheap OBDII adapter).

I've been getting a pesky check engine light on my Corvette that comes and goes (it mostly stays on actually) so thanks to this thread I just ordered a Maxiscan MS309 from eBay. It cost me just $19.99 US, plus $3 shipping. It appeared to be the cheapest code reader available that actually showed on the screen what the codes were, instead of needing to refer to a separate book or CD to look it up.

The only problem I noticed with BT+torque combo, the ECU CAN communication can be jammed at times and result in ECU errors. That happens with scangauge too. For that reason I would never ever keep it plugged in all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back