Does Kia make their own engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SrDriver,
Thanks for the info. As the Asians are so quick to copy (and improve) I couldn't see them developing their own engine. At least they are heavily involved in a joint effort. The article was very informative.

Regards,
WoodenNickle

Originally Posted By: WoodenNickle
As the Asians are so quick to copy (and improve) I couldn't see them developing their own engine.

An interesting statement, given that Honda, Nissan, and Toyota all design and manufacture their own engines.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
As the Asians are so quick to copy (and improve) I couldn't see them developing their own engine.

An interesting statement, given that Honda, Nissan, and Toyota all design and manufacture their own engines.

...and a few others as well
wink.gif

+1

Chrysler's "World Engine", Hyundai Theta would not exist if it were not for the engineers at Mitsubishi. The 4G63 is their father. Everything after that is just fiddling with dimensions and standard market updates (ie. alloy, belt>chain, reverse crossflow heads, GDI, VVT etc etc) which occurred during the GEMA days. I know how hard engineers work, and I know how little credit they ever get, so let's not disrespect them further with comments like:

Like those fine German engineers who designed the swing axle rear suspension on the VW bug, replaced by proper half shafts very late in the bugs US life. Or, to be fair, the "gas tank engineers" who worked on the Ford Pinto. I could go on.

Chrysler seriously reworked the GEMA engine for the Dart,using FIAT trademarked Twin Air...but underneath its pretty much standard GEMA.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I think the Asian copying comment was a common belief in the 1950's through 1970's.

It was probably a result of Toyota's first engine being a clone of the venerable GM stovebolt. A lot has changed since then
smile.gif

Hyundai has been making their own car engines since 1996 ish and Kia started sharing around 1999.

Hyundai started naming "their" engines with greek letters.

Kia started out with old mazda 323 tooling but then semi-merged with Hyundai during the Asian economic crisis.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Like those fine German engineers who designed the swing axle rear suspension on the VW bug, replaced by proper half shafts very late in the bugs US life. Or, to be fair, the "gas tank engineers" who worked on the Ford Pinto. I could go on.

Your ignorance of most corporation design level engineers is high. Design engineers in most corporations do not have free rein to design what they actually want or want will be the best design. They are constrained to design to both a specification and a cost standards that were made by other corporate people who were not engineers.

I am a design level engineer in aviation manufacturing and deal with this every day of some layperson or someone down stream of the product Monday quarterbacking my work. Trust me, most engineers just do not pull it out of their arse when designing.

Just about every major recall due to bad design can be peeled back to show a bean counter overriding engineering and forcing a bad engineered product to market.

Toyota needs help from Yamaha...........

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I think the Asian copying comment was a common belief in the 1950's through 1970's.

It was probably a result of Toyota's first engine being a clone of the venerable GM stovebolt. A lot has changed since then
smile.gif

Yeah, it was actually true back then
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Your ignorance of most corporation design level engineers is high. Design engineers in most corporations do not have free rein to design what they actually want or want will be the best design. They are constrained to design to both a specification and a cost standards that were made by other corporate people who were not engineers.

Every problem out there has limits and boundaries even a supercar. Using corporate as the excuse or crutch for not producing the best design within the limits is lame. It seems to lead to apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back