Product to use on FLAT BLACK paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE DO NOT USE WAX! I've known this for 40 years. But...

Has anyone found a product to use on flat black paint such as the flat black painted surfaces(NOT black plastic) on the door frames and outside mirrors.

The flat black paint, especially on the door frames of my vehicles have faded some over the years. I am considering "WIPE NEW"(or similar products) which seems to do well on all surfaces including:

fogged head light assemblys
interior vinals & plastics
and of course, exterior paint
But, I am only asking about the FLAT BLACK PAINT!

I'm looking for something that I can get any autoparts store.
I have tried the interior/exterior, plastic/vinal/tire dressings but, they only last one time and are greasy to the touch especially when closing the doors while exiting the car.

I have even tried PLEDGE Furnature Polish(or $$$tore Brands) with mild success but, they don't work well on all Flat Black Paint, only some, IDKY!

Any recomendations?

Turtle Wax ICE (Synthetic wax) doesn't seem to cause a white buildup as do "traditional" waxes.

Nor does the use of wax-as-you-dry products (but those do not last as long).

If you are looking to restore faded or worn-off paint, bite the bullet and PAINT IT. Make SURE you remove any of the products you have been trying, first.

I use Satin (semi-gloss, not flat) paint to re-coat flat finishes.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
Turtle Wax ICE (Synthetic wax) doesn't seem to cause a white buildup as do "traditional" waxes.

Nor does the use of wax-as-you-dry products (but those do not last as long).

If you are looking to restore faded or worn-off paint, bite the bullet and PAINT IT. Make SURE you remove any of the products you have been trying, first.

I use Satin (semi-gloss, not flat) paint to re-coat flat finishes.

Yea, I was afraid of that!
laugh.gif

I have used most Wax-as-U-dry and other detail type products but, they're not giving me the results that I am looking for.

I am currently trying, Turtly Wax Trim Restorer but, it's really designed for "black plastic" and does infact work well on that. But, not so well on flat black paint 1st time out. Several applications are doing a better job and also, seem to be filling in the very dry spots after more and more coats.

This product,("Turtle Wax Trim Restorer") does not dry to a hard finish, it just dries, "DRY"... but, shiny! But on flat black painted surfaces, it leaves streaks of where it still needs another coat or more! Though the TWTR seems to be lasting much better between washes and the rain we've been getting. Turtle Wax says..."last up to 3 months"... We'll see!

So, the TWTR is coming closer to what I am looking for but, still in search of another product without having to paint the "B" Pillers betweent the F & R doors.

Last edited:
Unless you want to turn it into semi-gloss flat black, do NOT wax it, here is an example of how to care for it.

"I ran into this type of paint about a month ago on a Harley Night Train. Entire bike was flat i had never done this type of paint before so i read everything i could find on it and even called my detailing god. Everything i read said don't even try correction on it and deffenitly dont polish or wax it. Harley said don't even use soap on it just plain water and elbow grease. So i did just that and polished up the chrome and it came out real nice."

Thank you!

Well, waxing flat black will chalk the paint until it's finaly just a hazey white. This is on my wife's 12 year old Lexus that is outside alot. The rest of the car looks great and the flat black B Pillers(and the whole door window frame) are, only acceptable looking!

Some Mfg's paint the B Pillers, using the same color paint of the rest of the car and others(GM for one) use a gloss black paint that can be waxed. Others still us a vinal tape type material(decale-like) that's adhered to the metal and doesn't fade as quickly as flat black paint.

Our B Pillers are just slightly faded unless I apply a product to it. These Pillers have only seen quick detail products over the last 12 years and little else[Pledge].

Last edited:
Never wax flat paint or plastic surfaces. Nor should you use "restorers", as they tend to make the problem worse over time. Mask the areas off and repaint them if they are weathered. Flat paints do not hold up well over time. I've found that a semi-gloss paint like Krylon semi-flat black works very well.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
Never wax flat paint or plastic surfaces. Nor should you use "restorers", as they tend to make the problem worse over time. Mask the areas off and repaint them if they are weathered. Flat paints do not hold up well over time. I've found that a semi-gloss paint like Krylon semi-flat black works very well.

Yes, I know! I mentioned this in my opening statement
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

PLEASE DO NOT USE WAX! I've known this for 40 years. But...

Has anyone found a product to use on flat black paint such as the flat black painted surfaces(NOT black plastic) on the door frames and outside mirrors.

The flat black paint, especially on the door frames of my vehicles have faded some over the years. I am considering "WIPE NEW"(or similar products) which seems to do well on all surfaces including:

fogged head light assemblys
interior vinals & plastics
and of course, exterior paint
But, I am only asking about the FLAT BLACK PAINT!

I'm looking for something that I can get any autoparts store.
I have tried the interior/exterior, plastic/vinal/tire dressings but, they only last one time and are greasy to the touch especially when closing the doors while exiting the car.

I have even tried PLEDGE Furnature Polish(or $$$tore Brands) with mild success but, they don't work well on all Flat Black Paint, only some, IDKY!

Any recomendations?

On flat black I would use something like meguiars ultimate quick wax. I use it on plastic trim, flat black, and rubber trim. Adds little to no shine but will protect and make it look better than it does.

Meguiars 7. it is a glaze and what the old school guys would use for single stage paint. You can google how to apply it but that is awesome stuff for single stages. You can pick up 7 at any auto part store. It is under their pro line.

Try a car polish or paint cleaner to remove the oxidation. I mean real car polish, stuff that has abrasives in it. Or, tape off the area and spray it with a satin paint. I'm actually thinking of doing this to our wiper arms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back