M1 5W-30 SN - Looks they've improved it

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few recent M1 I use (M1 Ep and M1 AFE) 30-weight causes louder negine noise that makes me switch to PU. However, recently there is a sale on 5w-30 new version, and based on the spec it seems having higher HTHS 3.1. So it went replacing the PU, the initial 300 miles, it was quite noisier compared than PU, but then after that it was quiet.

So it seems this better than the old M1.. not sure if anyone else notice the same observation

I used Mobil 1 5w30 in my 03 CRV even though it called for 5W20. The valvetrain sounded like a noisy sewing machine so I started using anyting but M1 (Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Quaker State). Recently I went back to M1 but am using the Mobil 1 EP 5W30 and the engine is quiet. I have not tried the standard M1 recently but my engine seems to like the M1 EP.

Goes to show that "Bitogers" opinion about engine oils leaves much to be desired. The M1 5-30 you refered to was SM. SM M1 carried some of the highest approval ratings around for a 5-30 PCMO. Including the Honda HTO-06, and Corvette spec.

Last edited:
OP, I had the same firsthand experience with M1 SM 5W-30; it made the valvetrain very noisy. I tried lots of other synthetics, none of them made the valvetrain as noisy as the M1, though some made it especially quiet. Not saying M1 was ever a bad oil, only that my particular application did not favor it.

I've heard that the M1 SN formula has improved in this respect, but I have no firsthand experience with that formulation.

Cleaning and lubricity and traction are 3 different things and these is no spec for NOISE AFAIK. A "buried" FUJI HI white paper discussed with subaru Service Managers stated that the older M1 formulations could not resolve small VT motions and lube adequately the EJ255 motor. I thought this was a "rumor" but a trusted Service manager repeated this "story" to me when I was having my wife's subaru serviced. Fact or fiction? I would remain somewhat skeptical of this "story" unless I see the technical paper on FUJI letterhead and watermarked cotton bond paper
smile.gif

I've had the least VT and bearing noise with Shell and QS SOPUS products, though I didnt worry unless its excessive. The New Valvoline Synpower 0w20 Im running seems OK but my HF hearing is going. Maybe this is a godsend
smile.gif

Last edited:
In my Honda, the SN version of M1 0w20/30 made the engine quiter than all previous oils used, including M1 SM/GF-4. The SM version of M1 had some issues. It was good, but should have been better.

More and more threads seem to discuss 'noise'as a results of brand 'x' oil over brand 'y'. Unless you can offer proof by some proper noise recording instrument, I find these dicussions entirely subjective and not worth a discussion on a scientific forum such as BITOG. Where are the specs for noise in API, ILSAC, or any other qualifiying agency? IMO these subjective discussion out of place on BITOG. If I am wrong, let's have a discussion on this subject. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
More and more threads seem to discuss 'noise'as a results of brand 'x' oil over brand 'y'. Unless you can offer proof by some proper noise recording instrument, I find these dicussions entirely subjective and not worth a discussion on a scientific forum such as BITOG. Where are the specs for noise in API, ILSAC, or any other qualifiying agency? IMO these subjective discussion out of place on BITOG. If I am wrong, let's have a discussion on this subject. FWIW--Oldtommy

I think BITOG is exactly the place for oil nuts such as ourselves to discuss such issues. They are subjective, but it is not neceasarily errant to make decisions based on a sufficient amount of subjective reports. If a sufficient number of people have firsthand experience with an issue, there is value in that knowledge, however subjective the comparison may be.

I was running M1 full synthetic 5w20 in my f350 5.4l v8 and it was most certainly more noisy than the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle I have in it now (also 5w20).

You can really tell upon acceleration with a cement highway divider at your left side to resonate the sound better. In traffic in NY you are often stop and go with cement hwy. dividers at your sides. My helper also noted it was running quiet the day after I switched oils. He thought I had put an additive in or something.

It also sounds a little smoother at idle. My engine also consumed about 3/4 of a quart over around 2500 miles with the M1. I am at 2k miles on PYB with no consumption. I do often have a 1/2 to a full ton of rock/materials in the bed of my pickup, but I don't tow with it at all. Fuel economy is about the same averaging 14.5 mpg mixed driving.

I just picked up some Mobil Super HM oil in 5w20 to see how it runs on that. Heard good things here abut that oil.

JC

+2

Noise is meaningless and you are right, Oldtommy, that there are NO specs, approvals, or tests for it because it is meaningless.

Same ol' story here, people sure get touchy when you take any exceptions with their precious Mobil 1. I'm going back to the Frambashing threads where it's safe.
27.gif

... Unless you can offer proof by some proper noise recording instrument, I find these dicussions entirely subjective and not worth a discussion on a scientific forum such as BITOG. ...

Scientific
forum? Ha ha ha, HA! Somehow you got this place confused with NORIA?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa

+2

Noise is meaningless and you are right, Oldtommy, that there are NO specs, approvals, or tests for it because it is meaningless.

Bologna! If oil "M" makes my engine too noisey for ME, I wouldnt use it again. Pro engine builders use subjective assessment of non harmonic noise ALL the time. There are few objective assesment tools available to the consumer. I guess you like raucous and rackety engines and can easily ignore this racket - thats a pretty low standard.

Last edited:
Percieved "noise" is definitely part of the user's experience. And if I experience excessive noise, I won't use it anymore. Doesn't mean I think it's tearing my engine up, but my product use satisfaction is much lower.

When buying a new car would you pick what you think is the ugliest color in stock? Of course not. It makes no actual real difference, but it can certainly affect your end use satisfaction or enjoyment of the vehicle.

I like a quiet running engine and so do many others.

I like a quiet engine too. I found ASM 0W20 in my Jeep was noisy. Edge SM gold bottle, and Mobil 1 SM and SN were quiet.

I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of a quiet engine, or if the noise coming from the engine indicates if damage is occurring or not, that horse is dead. I'd rather just use an oil that gives me a smooth quiet engine w/o having to move up or down a grade. I guess in some instances some oils might be noisy in one engine and quiet in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back