My DIY rustproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you prep the rusted surfaces? If you did not acid etch it or clean all the rust off before sealing it.... all you did was make the problem much worse.

Originally Posted By: volk06
How did you prep the rusted surfaces? If you did not acid etch it or clean all the rust off before sealing it.... all you did was make the problem much worse.

Not true with Fluid Film or Krown or Carwell.

I'm surprised there isn't more sand and grime under there. Did you power wash first?

What product did you use?

I used this. I don't know exactly what it is, but it smells like grease that was thinned out. It sprayed pretty well and it doesn't drip, just like the jug says.

Monarch005.jpg

To the poster asking about prep and making things worse, I wholeheartedly disagree. This was not an attempt at restoration or rust elimination, it was simply meant to slow down the rust. I don't think that oil coating will make things worse, but it should slow down the rust sufficiently so that I can get few more years out of this 10 year old car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm surprised there isn't more sand and grime under there. Did you power wash first?

What product did you use?

I was surprised as well how clean that Ford was under there. But it was never undercoated with anything, so I guess there was no oily film to attract dirt, that is why I just sprayed away without any cleaning.

My Mazda, which was Krowned for 5 years is quite dirty underneath.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

To the poster asking about prep and making things worse, I wholeheartedly disagree. This was not an attempt at restoration or rust elimination, it was simply meant to slow down the rust. I don't think that oil coating will make things worse, but it should slow down the rust sufficiently so that I can get few more years out of this 10 year old car.

I agree. If you used a tar like undercoating or bed-liner spray that would be a different story. I think you accomplished exactly what you set out to do!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I agree. If you used a tar like undercoating or bed-liner spray that would be a different story. I think you accomplished exactly what you set out to do!

Yep - didn't what kind of product he used.

Looks nice an oily. Good job.

I will be heading into Carwell on Broadway this September for another application on the Accord and the first one on the Chevy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back