Mah new beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford CVPI, 157k
Paying $1k. I have a deposit on it and I have to go to Spokane on Saturday to pick it up. In the morning too before Vehicle Licensing closes as it is not currently registered..that is gonna suck since I wont get off work until 4am. Hopefully I can nap before we leave.
02p71_1.jpg

02p71_2.jpg

02p71_3.jpg

I bought it because I plan on taking my '04 out of service a couple times in the next year or two for modifications. In the mean time, I will let my brother use it to get his license and find a job.
I know its just a old vomit comet, but Im still excited to go get it. It will be the first time I have a car that I actually own too, so that counts for something, I guess?

Last edited:
Post a video of you barelling down the left lane of the interstate and other cars getting out of your way.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I like it. Price sounds pretty good, too.

Yeah, it was sort of a joke when I bid $1000 on it. I mean I wanted it, and could afford it, but I didnt really think I would get it for that. Ended up somebody outbid me by a dollar, and I couldn't let it go for that little bit of difference, so I bumped it to the next minimum, being $1026. Got it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Just think about all the losers that have been in the back seat of that!

Hence, 'vomit comet'...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Post a video of you barelling down the left lane of the interstate and other cars getting out of your way.
lol.gif

This!

Colt, that is a good price. 157K is nothing for the P71. We are sending our 09's with 40K (some) and up to 80K to auction. We are getting close to $8K (Miami taxi co. and refurbishers are paying top dollar for our sleds). We are now outfitting our Deputies with Explorer PPV.

Enjoy it! Good, reliable tanks.

Dave

lol.gif

Yes, heaven forbid other drivers actually show courtesy and move over for anything else other than a police car.

Is that a bullet hole in the driver's side A pillar? The sheet metal looks great - maybe fresh paint?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
"Vomet comit" or not, still a neat looking Vic for the money.
thumbsup2.gif

I thought so! First thing Im gonna do is put in new headlight housings. I have a pair I bought for my '04 so someone could do a projector conversion on them for me, but he never had the time so they have just been sitting in a box. Thats one of the things that stuck out to me was the cataracts on the headlights. The other thing is someone installed the front door trim on backwards. I dont know what if anything Im going to do about that. The spotlight hole...someone suggested putting a spotlight back in it to fill the hole...Ill consider it. Then that will just leave the front bumper which I probably won't do anything about unless I happen across a unmolested white one in a junkyard or something.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
How much are you going to spend on disinfecting the interior?
Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
Colt, that is a good price. 157K is nothing for the P71. We are sending our 09's with 40K (some) and up to 80K to auction. We are getting close to $8K (Miami taxi co. and refurbishers are paying top dollar for our sleds). We are now outfitting our Deputies with Explorer PPV.

Enjoy it! Good, reliable tanks.

Dave

Oh, I know. I told my Grandfather the mileage and how much Im paying and he goes, "You got ripped." Course he doesnt understand that 157k is nothing to modern vehicles.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
lol.gif

Yes, heaven forbid other drivers actually show courtesy and move over for anything else other than a police car.

Iknowright

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
See if it will do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yil9wlfa0yo

Im gonna guess, that yes, it will do the flying part, its the landing that will get it.

Originally Posted By: callbay
No loan! That's great!

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Colt, I would recommend this... Flush the power steering with new Mercon V and do a filter change/fill on the Transmission (Mercon V). We use Castrol Mercon V with good results.

Also, check the serpentine belt and water pump (severe duty has a habit of leaking at the weep hole). Also check to make sure the penetrations (spotlight and if there is a light bar hole on the roof), don't leak.

To sanitize the rubber flooring, 1 part water, 1 part Simple Green, and 1 part bleach does the trick.

For a daily beater, it should be good for another 200K easy.

Dave

Looks good, very straight for only $1K. I bet with a good detailing it will look really nice for being 11 years old.

To sanitize the rubber flooring, 1 part water, 1 part Simple Green, and 1 part bleach does the trick.

I like to use a scrub brush to loosen the dirt up with a similar solution (I usually use an orange based cleaner for the smell though), then vacuum it out with a Shop Vac or similar vacuum.

Colt, I would recommend this... Flush the power steering with new Mercon V and do a filter change/fill on the Transmission (Mercon V). We use Castrol Mercon V with good results.

Also, check the serpentine belt and water pump (severe duty has a habit of leaking at the weep hole). Also check to make sure the penetrations (spotlight and if there is a light bar hole on the roof), don't leak.

For a daily beater, it should be good for another 200K easy.

Dave

Yup, thats all in the plans. The trans will probably also get the J-mod.

Thanks for the tip on cleaner. I'll probably be pulling the seats out depending on how bad it looks.

Brought her home today. She has some issues, but for a G Im not complaining. Did have some trouble getting her home. He told me he went ahead and took it to discount tire, and had them check the tire pressure. One was low and so they checked it and found a bad stem. I could visually confirm the Left rear valve stem was new.
He tells me it has a good spare, but he couldnt find the jack. *Ominous music*
Jumped on the highway headed home, and Im thinking, "Gonna need the tires balanced when I get home."
About two miles later the steering wheel was shaking itself out of my hand at 60. So, I put it off the road and the left FRONT is on the rim. I caught it before the tire shredded but it smelt bad of burnt rubber. Im going, crud, I have no jack.
Thankfully, it did have the jack, and so I was on my way again in about 15 minutes.

Start off with some good points:
*It has two stickers on the cluster. One is black and reads 160600 and the other is red and reads 160700. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess that black is oil and red is transmission. So, its had regular fluid changes.
*Diff tag reads 3L27 for 3.27 LSD. I confirmed the LSD is still holding as well. (Or it was fixed)
*A/C is ice cold
The Bad:
*Right off the bat I noticed the power steering is dead. Making a U-turn is a strong-arm maneuver. I don't think its completely dead, as you can tell the difference with the car off and on it does help, but its getting maybe 15-20% of what I would call 'normal' assist. Its full of fluid; black fluid, but it has fluid. It makes noise like the pump is loading making a turn. (as Fords are known to do) but its not really helping. It also does not return to center. It'll hold where you put it. Im gonna change the fluid tomorrow, but Im not hopeful on that helping at all.
*Some sort of EVAP problem. I couldnt pump gas in at any latch; I had to manually hold it at 1/3 open or it would click off. I'll have to check the vents and stuff.
*The computer has been reset recently. I hooked my old SGI to it and its telling me the car is not ready. Ive been driving it to get it to pop, whatever it is that wants to pop.
*Wiper motor needs replaced. I used it to wash the windshield (which is new, btw) and they wouldnt park after.
*Engine oil cooler hoses leak (surprise, surprise) Ill probably just get the Dorman set, once I get the other stuff taken care of.
*Other things like I think it can use some shocks. They've been replaced before, but its time again. Brake fluid flush, Coolant flush. Basically just maintenance.
02home_1.jpg

Already put fresh headlight housings in it.
02home_2.jpg

Couldn't wait to add a little flair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back