Mazda CX-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG no disappoint.

Very good input. I will pay cash if test drive is acceptable.

The Subie Impreza while OK just too puny in the punch dept. I actually really like the Fiat, great driver, but so darn impractical.

Forester did really good on the new small overlap frontal crash test, CX-5 not so much but better than others.

Watch the video some start sheat: http://www.motorweek.org/auto_news/motor_news/small_suv_crash_test

Quote:
There was a lot of fuss last year over the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s new small overlap frontal crash test. Especially after several, top-selling luxury sedans received less than flattering grades. This time around, small SUVs were the focus and the results were just as poor.

Of the thirteen utilities tested by IIHS, only the 2014 Subaru Forester received a “Good” rating. The 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport earned an “Acceptable” rating, making both vehicles the only two Top Safety Pick Plus winners in this test where the front left corner hits a barrier at 40 miles per hour.

Five popular SUVs including the Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5 scored “Marginal”; the vehicles suffered significant structural damage, but maintained passenger safety.

Even more troubling were the five SUVs that received “Poor” ratings. They include the Ford Escape…Jeep Patriot…Hyundai Tucson…and Buick Encore. All saw major structural damage, failures in restraint systems, and compromised occupant safety.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
So which car will it replace in your fleet?

Aged 1996 Volvo 855. ~170K miles. Don't remember when the odometer quit working. Last winter at some point. Engine and drivetrain still perfect. It uses less oil than when at 70K. Doors busted, AC shot, dead this, dead that, dead tailgate, black coating on roof channels peeling the breeze - not regular maintenance stuff, just broken Volvo junk. I wanted to go to 2016 and say 20 year, but just too much to fix. Got my money's worth.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

My oil change use the entire 5 quart bottle of PP 0W-20 that I picked up at Walmart, plus an OEM Mazda oil filter picked up at the dealer. Do not use any oil filters that are not OEM, because Mazda has their internal bypass spring ratings much different than the aftermarket company parts that are the same size. If you use the aftermarket oil filters, you will run in bypass much more often, as the OEM filter's bypass pressure is much higher than the aftermarket filters.

Got a source for that?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
So which car will it replace in your fleet?

Aged 1996 Volvo 855. ~170K miles..... Got my money's worth.

Yip, way long in tooth for sure.

The customers we have that have CX-5s love them, they are pretty cool rides.

Top Gear UK just had a test on their latest episode and the CX-5 was the "best of the worst" cars, which basically means it was the best of the cars they have no interest in.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
My biggest grips: Too small steering wheel for my hands, and no seating position comfortable for long highway trips.

Interesting comment; I felt the same after just a quick sit in one in a dealership while a friend was test-driving a 3. I really want to like the CX-5, so I checked one out. I could not find a comfortable seating position, at all. The one in the showroom was a well-equipped one with power seats, but no matter how I adjusted the seat, there was not a good relationship between the seat and the steering wheel for me. It's a shame, because the rest of the car seems nice, but the driving position is a non-starter for me.

How does the AWD system in the CX-5 work? Is it a FWD-based on-demand system like many small crossovers have?

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

My oil change use the entire 5 quart bottle of PP 0W-20 that I picked up at Walmart, plus an OEM Mazda oil filter picked up at the dealer. Do not use any oil filters that are not OEM, because Mazda has their internal bypass spring ratings much different than the aftermarket company parts that are the same size. If you use the aftermarket oil filters, you will run in bypass much more often, as the OEM filter's bypass pressure is much higher than the aftermarket filters.

Got a source for that?

I don't have a link but I can say that Wix had to design a custom filter for these engines. Other filter makers have just listed filters that "fit" even though they don't meet OEM specs. Wix or the Toyo-Roki OEM filter is all that should be used at this point.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Nick R
My biggest grips: Too small steering wheel for my hands, and no seating position comfortable for long highway trips.

Interesting comment; I felt the same after just a quick sit in one in a dealership while a friend was test-driving a 3. I really want to like the CX-5, so I checked one out. I could not find a comfortable seating position, at all. The one in the showroom was a well-equipped one with power seats, but no matter how I adjusted the seat, there was not a good relationship between the seat and the steering wheel for me. It's a shame, because the rest of the car seems nice, but the driving position is a non-starter for me.

How does the AWD system in the CX-5 work? Is it a FWD-based on-demand system like many small crossovers have?

Yep. It's not full-time like Subarus it's FWD On Demand. But yeah same thing After a while no seating position was comfortable enough. What you experienced is one of the big reasons, other than financials, to trade it in.

Seating position is such a subjective thing, and will be different for everyone. And I only mention it because I didn't factor it in nearly as much as I should have when I bought my Camry; the seating position was one of the reasons I traded it. I just couldn't find good comfort after a while. If I recall correctly, were the Mazda seat bottoms like Toyotas: they offer very little thigh support? The Toyota seat bottoms are pretty short, and offer little thigh support for those with longer legs like me.

The CR-V is perfect for me. I drove 14 hours in a single shot to Arkansas last fall, then drove 14 hours back to NC three days later. No back ache, no muscle tension; it was very comfortable. The seats are also superb...very good side bolstering and very good thigh support. Our Acura is acceptable to me, but not as good as our Honda.

I have learned to pay very close attention to seating comfort and driving position. Don't assume that you'll be able to find a perfect position "later on" when you own it. Find it on the test drive, or pass on the car.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Originally Posted By: R80RS
Can't speak to the CX-5 in particular, but I have a trusted mechanic friend who rates Mazda products pretty low in the hierarchy of Japanese cars. He was persuasive enough to talk me out of a Mazda 3 I was considering.

Find another trusted mechanic friend. On our 4th Mazda product and loving it. In 7 years and 4 vehicles of ownership we have NEVER had to go back to the dealer for a single problem or warranty repair.

Sorry if the opinion of an impartial mechanic who has run a prosperous repair shop for 20+ years somehow upset your sensitivities. He’s one of the most fair minded guys I know when it comes to preferences for vehicles, and he forms his opinions based on automotive experience that exceeds mine. I’ll respect his judgment over that of some fanboy any day. Besides, I’d think that with all those Mazdas of yours that never, ever, ever need service you wouldn’t be so insecure in your purchasing decisions that you feel you have to call into question who I, a total stranger to you, consider a friend.

FWIW I’m glad you are happy with all your Mazdas. And, if in the end, Pablo decides to get one, more power to him, I hope he’s happy with it and it works out for him.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Mazda CX-5 did not do it on factory tires and AWD

So the limiting factor was due to the tires?

Seemed like AWD in rough conditions did not do much with limited grip tires(eg OEM). One of two rear wheels intermittently spinning away and ABS making brakes stinky. Personally if it were me I would buy it with FWD and equip with winter tires. No better or worst than CRV & Toyota Sienna system I have observed.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the vehicle and reasons for AWD. My personal reasons for AWD are the form of vehicle (wagon and 7 passenger SUV) and it happened to come with it. I don't want to spring for winter tires as great in winter all-seasons suffice with excellent AWD even in the tough conditions we hit like 8-12"+ snow and soupy mud on 4 mile gravel road leading to our family's shared home.

It is a very easy test of AWD at our place. A recent fresh snow then wind means the driveway crossing open field will drift over a few hours. Men from boys AWD systems are separated and tested.

ERROR: bogus mechanic claim not support

Can't speak to the CX-5 in particular, but I have a trusted mechanic friend who rates Mazda products pretty low in the hierarchy of Japanese cars. He was persuasive enough to talk me out of a Mazda 3 I was considering.

Find another trusted mechanic friend. On our 4th Mazda product and loving it. In 7 years and 4 vehicles of ownership we have NEVER had to go back to the dealer for a single problem or warranty repair.

Sorry if the opinion of an impartial mechanic who has run a prosperous repair shop for 20+ years somehow upset your sensitivities. He’s one of the most fair minded guys I know when it comes to preferences for vehicles, and he forms his opinions based on automotive experience that exceeds mine. I’ll respect his judgment over that of some fanboy any day. Besides, I’d think that with all those Mazdas of yours that never, ever, ever need service you wouldn’t be so insecure in your purchasing decisions that you feel you have to call into question who I, a total stranger to you, consider a friend.

FWIW I’m glad you are happy with all your Mazdas. And, if in the end, Pablo decides to get one, more power to him, I hope he’s happy with it and it works out for him.

bustednutz's experience is not invalid, just because you "trust" your mechanic. Sharing his experience wasn't meant to upset you via cognitive dissonance either. But since we're all fanboys making stuff up, how about some data.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...-reports-list/1

http://www.mazda-news.eu/2012/01/16/mazd...med-once-again/

Quote:

J.D. Powers in Germany
• Mazda3: Highest-scoring model of all 117 models on survey
• Mazda3: 1st in the compact class
• Mazda2: 1st in B-car class

J.D. Powers in the UK
• MX-5: 1st in the Sports Car category, ahead of luxury models cars like Audi TT, the Mercedes-Benz CLK and SLK

Auto Bild 100,000 Endurance Test
• Mazda3: Finishes test without breakdown, earns top score
• Rankings: Mazda has three of top four models (Mazda3, 5, 6) from 80 models

Latest TÜV Report Germany
(from over 7 million inspections per age-class, 215 models in total)
• 3 years old: Mazda2 (2nd), Mazda3 (8th)
• 5 years old: Mazda2 (6th), Mazda3 (10th)
• 7 years old: Mazda2 (6th), Mazda3 (7th)

They must be confused or ignorant, out in Germany right?
Must be just recently, right?

2005 according to a Reliability Survey published by whatcar.co.uk, Mazda ranked 2nd.

There is no need for anyone to dog the company to make themself feel better about their purchases, bias, recommendations or to deny the fact that they could have made a more informed purchasing decision. If you want to bash them, do it objectively. Too many times, people align themselves with the most popular, conspicuous, accepted brands and parties, where it is safe that your opinions will not differ from the majority. When something one has had little regard for, undeniably proves it's worth, at least equal and in many cases better than the popular choice they've aligned themselves to, it becomes very difficult for many to accept this. This is called cognitive dissonance, and makes people react in all kinds of funny ways. People just get mad and start to hate.
21.gif

Mazda might be new to you, and some of these mechanics with far too much regard for their own watercooler opinions, but that says nothing about the company, it just means you didn't know. No shame in accepting it. The kind of nonsense that some of these mechanics like to spew, there is a name for it- "vivid- something" I forget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrustles
ERROR: bogus mechanic claim not support

bustednutz's experience is not invalid, just because you "trust" your mechanic. Sharing his experience wasn't meant to upset you via cognitive dissonance either. But since we're all fanboys making stuff up, how about some data.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...-reports-list/1

http://www.mazda-news.eu/2012/01/16/mazd...med-once-again/

Quote:

J.D. Powers in Germany
• Mazda3: Highest-scoring model of all 117 models on survey
• Mazda3: 1st in the compact class
• Mazda2: 1st in B-car class

J.D. Powers in the UK
• MX-5: 1st in the Sports Car category, ahead of luxury models cars like Audi TT, the Mercedes-Benz CLK and SLK

Auto Bild 100,000 Endurance Test
• Mazda3: Finishes test without breakdown, earns top score
• Rankings: Mazda has three of top four models (Mazda3, 5, 6) from 80 models

Latest TÜV Report Germany
(from over 7 million inspections per age-class, 215 models in total)
• 3 years old: Mazda2 (2nd), Mazda3 (8th)
• 5 years old: Mazda2 (6th), Mazda3 (10th)
• 7 years old: Mazda2 (6th), Mazda3 (7th)

They must be confused or ignorant, out in Germany right?
Must be just recently, right?

2005 according to a Reliability Survey published by whatcar.co.uk, Mazda ranked 2nd.

There is no need for anyone to dog the company to make themself feel better about their purchases, bias, recommendations or to deny the fact that they could have made a more informed purchasing decision. If you want to bash them, do it objectively. Too many times, people align themselves with the most popular, conspicuous, accepted brands and parties, where it is safe that your opinions will not differ from the majority. When something one has had little regard for, undeniably proves it's worth, at least equal and in many cases better than the popular choice they've aligned themselves to, it becomes very difficult for many to accept this. This is called cognitive dissonance, and makes people react in all kinds of funny ways. People just get mad and start to hate.
21.gif

Mazda might be new to you, and some of these mechanics with far too much regard for their own watercooler opinions, but that says nothing about the company, it just means you didn't know. No shame in accepting it. The kind of nonsense that some of these mechanics like to spew, there is a name for it- "vivid- something" I forget.

Wow, touchy much? Let’s start at the beginning.

First of all, my mechanic isn’t bogus, nor is his opinion. He’s competent in his craft and his opinion is just that, an opinion. I never represented it as anything else. I really don’t understand your need to disparage someone you don’t know just because his opinion on a car manufacturer diverges from your own. In the interest of injecting some clarity here re-read my earlier posts. I never said he badmouthed Mazda, just that there are other Japanese automakers he holds in higher regard. Why is that such a controversial opinion to you? Even worldwide sales figures for Mazda vs. Honda vs. Toyota vs. etc. would seem to show the general public holds a similar opinion.

I never said bustedbutz’s experience is invalid. Show me where I called his ownership experience into question. I called him a fanboy because he clearly is, but I never said he was making anything up. To claim that is to claim I was calling him a liar, which I never did. I don’t know him so I have no reason to believe he was dishonest in his post. The reason I replied to him as I did was his snarky and uncalled for demand that I “find another trusted mechanic friend”. That’s a laughable demand, and pretty close to being out of place on what should be a friendly board.

Thanks for the links, the information is very enlightening. Glad to know that a European website with the words “Mazda News” in the URL has something nice to say about Mazdas. I learned a lot, for example that Mazda’s European subsidiary has a first rate marketing department.

I didn’t “dog” anything and I haven’t bashed anything or anybody in any of my posts. I don’t own a Mazda or any of the cars mentioned here, and I really don’t care if people like them or not. If Mazdas float your boat go for it. If Pablo decides the CX-5 is what he wants and the car makes him happy then I’m sure it will be a good vehicle for him and I hope he has a great ownership experience.

Even worldwide sales figures for Mazda vs. Honda vs. Toyota vs. etc. would seem to show the general public holds a similar opinion.

There we have it folks, sales volumes determine a good product or not. How could I miss that.

(Seriously though, that's the kinda nonsense that really rustles my jimmies!
lol.gif
)

Quote:

I called him a fanboy because he clearly is

Clearly.

Quote:
but I never said he was making anything up. To claim that is to claim I was calling him a liar, which I never did. I don’t know him so I have no reason to believe he was dishonest in his post. The reason I replied to him as I did was his snarky and uncalled for demand that I “find another trusted mechanic friend”. That’s a laughable demand, and pretty close to being out of place on what should be a friendly board.

So calling him a fanboy for simply presenting his experience which flies in the face of what your mechanic said, was not to diminish anything he said?

Quote:

Thanks for the links, the information is very enlightening. Glad to know that a European website with the words “Mazda News” in the URL has something nice to say about Mazdas. I learned a lot, for example that Mazda’s European subsidiary has a first rate marketing department.

Right, because Europeans are typically an uscrupulous consumer culture with low standards and easily influenced purchasing decisions, and that Mazda EU has access to some secret budget of Toyota proportions. I getcha.

Quote:

If Pablo decides the CX-5 is what he wants and the car makes him happy then I’m sure it will be a good vehicle for him and I hope he has a great ownership experience.

And I agree with that. Find the vehicle you like, but don't let another person's casual opinions preclude your options.

OK, time for me to chime in I guess. Not sure I'd call myself a "fanboy" so to speak. I just simply have had excellent experience with my Mazdas.
Now, I have also had great luck with my Jeep's, Hondas, a Ford Escort, a couple older MK2 VW's in diesel form. Our last Hyundai was great as well. Oh and let me not forget my good luck with our Toyotas from years past. As well as 3 Volvo 240's, a 740 turbo, and 760 turbo.
I just get tired of people taking the word of mechanics as Gospel to be adhered to without actually testing and owning a particular vehicle themselves. Seems so many base their opinion of a vehicle based on 1 bad lemon or a friend of a friends bad experience.
But I will say this.............every manufacturer has a dud or two. INcluding Mazda. Anyone remember the Millennia and the Miller Cycle engine? Yeah, that one went over like a [censored] in church.

Well, I rented a Mazda 6 this spring that was beat--30K miles all on the mean streets of the city. Worst looking rental car I've ever seen. ZERO rattles. Very sensibly designed, well put together real-world car. I'd definitely give them a chance.

OK, time for me to chime in I guess. Not sure I'd call myself a "fanboy" so to speak. I just simply have had excellent experience with my Mazdas.
Now, I have also had great luck with my Jeep's, Hondas, a Ford Escort, a couple older MK2 VW's in diesel form. Our last Hyundai was great as well. Oh and let me not forget my good luck with our Toyotas from years past. As well as 3 Volvo 240's, a 740 turbo, and 760 turbo.
I just get tired of people taking the word of mechanics as Gospel to be adhered to without actually testing and owning a particular vehicle themselves. Seems so many base their opinion of a vehicle based on 1 bad lemon or a friend of a friends bad experience.
But I will say this.............every manufacturer has a dud or two. INcluding Mazda. Anyone remember the Millennia and the Miller Cycle engine? Yeah, that one went over like a [censored] in church.

I agree for the most part, except when it comes to Jeeps. I've known exactly 6 people (1 Wrangler, 2 Cherokees, and 3 Grand Cherokees) with Jeeps and they all had electrical issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back