2014 Cruze Diesel -- no you can't tow a trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the article on the Mazda6 Diesel and got thinking about how the Cruze now has a 2.0TDI stuck in it with a 6-speed auto.

I was curious and decided to look and see what the diesel tow capacity was as I know the gas job is 1,000lbs.

This is straight from the manual.

...And it's not designed to tow. C'mon GM, it's a diesel! The 2.0TDI has 148hp and 258ft-lb of torque. I was hoping for say 2,000lbs towing capacity or at LEAST 1,000lbs like it's sibling. That would easily tow a popup trailer.

Looks like I'm sticking with the 8ft Triton trailer and my tent with the Accord. LOL (didn't really have any intentions on getting rid of the Honda)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
(didn't really have any intentions on getting rid of the Honda)

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
(didn't really have any intentions on getting rid of the Honda)

Trolling.gif

How's that trolling?

Last edited:
Saw the article on the Mazda6 Diesel and got thinking about how the Cruze now has a 2.0TDI stuck in it with a 6-speed auto.

I was curious and decided to look and see what the diesel tow capacity was as I know the gas job is 1,000lbs.

This is straight from the manual.

...And it's not designed to tow. C'mon GM, it's a diesel! The 2.0TDI has 148hp and 258ft-lb of torque. I was hoping for say 2,000lbs towing capacity or at LEAST 1,000lbs like it's sibling. That would easily tow a popup trailer.

Looks like I'm sticking with the 8ft Triton trailer and my tent with the Accord. LOL (didn't really have any intentions on getting rid of the Honda)

Its a compact car.........not a truck. Its purpose is good gas mileage. That is why it uses active grill shutters, light weight wheels and low rolling resistance tires. It would kind of defeat the purpose by throwing a hitch and trailer on it. C'mon GM......throw some air brakes on it, a vertical exhaust with a flap on the end and some skid plates. After all its a diesel.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Interesting... If I had to take a guess I would say the transmission is the limiting factor.

I was thinking the same thing. If only it was offered with a manual trans....
frown.gif

I've already seen a Cruze with a hitch...

I'm sure you can still do it....

Heck, I could slap a hitch on my cobalt....

I don't think it would defeat it's primary goal of fuel economy if you are not towing every day of the week.

My 2004 saab 9-3 with 195 lb-ft is rated at 3500. Maybe the chassis is bigger, which makes an impact?

I'd bet the cooling systems on an Eco oriented model are designed to keep things hotter.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My 2004 saab 9-3 with 195 lb-ft is rated at 3500. Maybe the chassis is bigger, which makes an impact?

I'd bet the cooling systems on an Eco oriented model are designed to keep things hotter.

Yes that is a good thing to keep thought of.

They are just covering their own behinds. Dads 1984 subaru gl..71 hp wasnt recommended to tow...but it towed a tent trailer and roof rack with 4 ppl and no issues. Honestly 1000lbs is not much at all.

I plan on buying one in a year and I will certainly be towing with it (1,500 lbs. max). I'll find a way to monitor the trans temp though and take corrective action if it appears to get hotter than it should.

I like getting good fuel economy, but also need to tow light loads occasionally. A small diesel suits me perfectly.

Last edited:
Interesting... If I had to take a guess I would say the transmission is the limiting factor.

That or brakes.

Very plausible. Was the case in my F150. Automatics could tow more than the mazda stick shift and every axle ratio was differently lame... so it wasn't brakes or engine cooling.

Of course we can go back to "they don't want to warranty it" and "they don't want that sort of (abusive) customer."

There are other factors to consider when towing a trailer even if the engine itself is capable!

Tranny Capability
Braking Capibility
Chassis Strength/Reiforcements
Overheating the TURBO

I found my my TDi was severely limited by gearing. Reverse gear is simply too high for me to move 1,000lb up my driveway. Once I figured that out, and took into account the 2 inches of ground clearance it has (and how much less when loaded down), I gave up. I bet it'd pull all day on the highway, though. Much more goes on with towing than just if it has enough hp.

It's a bit like my truck: 1,300lb payload, but if a trailer weighs more than 1,000lb it must have brakes. Huh? Sure, you could say, it's because you could have 1,300lb in the truck and then add a trailer: but the manual makes no distinction about that.

IMO these fancy dual clutch automated manual transmissions are *not* rated for towing for a simple reason: it's the clutch, silly. Gotta slip it--and hard--to get a trailer moving, or in heavy traffic. If it was you controlling it, you'd know when you were smoking it, and would adjust. I bet none of the ECU's out there have a smoke detector in them...

All good points, but I think that GM and most other manufacturers selling cars in NA, do it so that people don't get a funny idea of towing stuff with regular cars when they have PU's and SUV's to sell them.
In Europe pretty much all cars have a hitch. I've seen cars towing boats, trailers and all kinds of other stuff.

In fact too look up true towing capacities not influenced by sells strategies I would find a similar car sold in Europe.
Here they are for the Cruze :
CRUZE HATCHBACK
1.8 LTZ 5dr Auto
Max towing weight - braked 1200 kg (2645 lbs)
Max towing weight - unbraked 695 kg (1532 lbs)

CRUZE STATION WAGON
2.0 VCDi LTZ 5dr Auto
Max towing weight - unbraked 750 kg (1653 lbs)

Even the little 1.6 has a great towing capacity and in auto to boot.
CRUZE HATCHBACK
1.6 LT 5dr Auto
Max towing weight - unbraked 695 kg (1532 lbs)

There are other models listed in the link below.
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/chevrolet/cruze/towing-weight-limit/

I'm sure i a lot of cases there are technical limitations that would lower the towing capacity, but in general in NA the towing capacities listed for cars are either laughable or prohibited simply because manufacturers want you to buy their SUV's and pick ups.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting--makes you wonder one thing: if you were to take one of our half-ton pickups to over there, would it be rated to tow 20,000lb as a result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back