Cleaning my intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've got the throttle body off and the intake manifold off and I'm down to the gaskets. My intake has some black buildup and I'd like to remove this easily without a trip to the store again. After using a can of brake cleaner I had zero luck. It's pretty thick residue. Any tips?

I was cleaning my TDI intake (aluminum) with brake cleaner and I was really surprised that it barely cleaned anything. I then switched to the Valvoline brand Throttle body cleaner and it almost instantly dissolved right down to the shiny metal. Not saying this is the best stuff, I just bought that one since it happened to be on sale. As well as it worked, the next time I think I will be buying it again regardless of price.

If it's a metal intake use a rag soaked with your cleaning solvent of choice or a brush, then spray to get rid of any loose fibers. Then again, it it's metal it might also be a rough casting. If so, you might be better off leaving that carbon in there to give a smoother surface and slightly better flow.

It's rough casting externally but I'm pretty sure it's a smooth finish inside underneath the gunk. Somehow my throttle body is near spotless yet my intake looks like its loaded with tar lol. Is there any soak I can do to it overnight to just spray it down with a hose in the morning? There's a tiny o ring on top that's already kinda iffy that I'd rather not harm though. I don't plan to own the car but for another 3 months or so. If its not an issue ill just leave it alone.

A picture of a black hole does not help much. My plenum had a very dark black film on it and i just left it, i think it is the oil streak from the PCV valve.

Now if it is a thick layer of crud that is different.

http://i.imgur.com/fY0M4eY.jpg

That's a better shot of the inside. I don't think it's considered too bad but I don't like it. I'm planning to get rid of the car in like 3 months anyways so if its not an issue ill just skip it. Would any other cleaner work in place of the LA's totally awesome?

Rough cast. That buildup isn't doing anything to hurt your cross-sectional area but might be smoothing the surface out ever so slightly. If you want to do some cleanup to that intake that might actually do something look at port matching and/or polishing. That means taking off some metal and will be more work than is justified if you're only going to have it for a few months.

Thanks for that tip. I know what port polishing is but I didn't know if this would cause any harm or not. See I'm a bong to dump this car and upgrade to something newer. I've had my eye on an 86 Monte Carlo as well however. I think it'd look great with a 468 dropped in haha! Anyways thanks for the help! Ill get her volte back up tomorrow afternoon and back running again. Much appreciated!

Good 2nd pic! I would not fool with it. That is nothing more than a oil streak. Cleaning it off will do nothing for you.

Originally Posted By: Staleembrace
http://i.imgur.com/fY0M4eY.jpg

That's a better shot of the inside. I don't think it's considered too bad but I don't like it. I'm planning to get rid of the car in like 3 months anyways so if its not an issue ill just skip it. Would any other cleaner work in place of the LA's totally awesome?

Simple Green is popular, and easily available at Walmart. I hear it will stain (darken) aluminum, though.

Would there be any real benefit of cleaning an intake manifold?
Either measurable in any way, or perceived?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Would there be any real benefit of cleaning an intake manifold?
Either measurable in any way, or perceived?

Valve deposits removed creating a more complete seal potentially I proving compression.
And sucking it in through a couple different vacuum lines seems to help the engine feel more responsive with light throttle inputs.

OP. If those deposits are from the oil mist and combustion gasses that got by the rings then try using mmo or a 2 stroke oil.
My grandpa always said "like dissolves like" which can be translated as 2 similar based things will mix,meaning the cooked oil vapour should get soft and come loose if you add oil to it.
Try soaking a shop rag with 2 stroke oil or mmo and left it sit on top of the deposits overnight.
I had hard carbon deposits on the old pistons from my Harley and they were sitting on my table in my shop.
I accidentally spilled either mmo or 2 stroke oil and some of it got on the carbon encrusted pistons.
I went into my shop a few days later and saw the piston that got spilled on the carbon looked kinda soft,and I wiped the piston clean ONLY where the oil got spilled,the rest of the piston was still hard crusted carbon.
So on one piston I coated the entire top with mmo,the other one with 2 stroke oil and left them sit. The next evening I go to check them out and on both pistons the deposits came off however the mmo one was much softer and easier to clean. The 2 stroke oil one was a bit harder to clean off.
So I know these products will clean up hard,baked on,cooked deposits if given time to absorb into the affected area.
After seeing what they did to the insane build up on my Harley's stock pistons I began using mmo in the same fashion as seafoam,administering through a vacuum line trying to saturate all the deposits possible.
With mmo I stall the engine pouring it in as fast as it will accept it then once stalled let it sit for 20 mins to a half hour then take it out and drive spiritedly.
I think the best way is overnight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back